Sidegraded from 920 to 830 - My thoughts

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I compared the 920 and 830 LED flashes last night using flashlight apps, and discovered quite a difference. The 920's light is much brigher and has a more pleasant color, more warm than the cool 830 flash. I hate to lose the bright flash, but I'm enjoying the better battery life and after advanced adjustments, I'm very happy with the screen.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
amoled: Unfortunately, all Amoled displays from Nokia suck these days. They are pentile, as opposed to SRGB and don't have display memory (no glance).

That is the single biggest reason I couldn't buy the 930. I need Glance.

That is true. If you're going to have an amoled screen it has to have support for glance.

mdau

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Other than the 920 being heavier(35g!:shocked:) the 830 is blocky and digs into your hand while the 920 is curved and is more ergonomic. It's all personal preference though. I just prefer to hold a phone with a smooth curved edge as opposed to a block.

I would hope so. The battery is bigger (2000mAh vs 2200mAh) so that is expected. The 920 also had battery draining issues for a long time before 8.1. It's a lot better now than it was.

The thing is for a lot of people that have the 920 the 830 is just not a significant enough upgrade. I currently use a 820 and even I don't find it that appealing. The lack of an amoled screen and the overall design are the biggest drawbacks for me.

As you said, the design is just a matter of preference. I own a L925 but i got a chance to see and hold a L830 in one of the shops. I loved it, the overall design and the feel just impressed me, the screen size is also better for me.

Battery for me is what matters a lot considering the fact that i will not loose anything in terms of imaging (camera). The size of the battery alone isnt the reason for better battery life on the 830 (remember the 830 screen is bigger). But the advantage in battery life is a result of mainly, less demanding processor and screen.

So generally for me, the upgrade from 925 to 830 is a significant upgrade, not major though. I know i will enjoy a slightly better camera (better software like living images etc), better design, better battery

tersagun

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I've also just got my new L830.
I'm still trying to restore the backup (it only synced the phone list, not the apps or messages) but my initial feedback is that the device is really cool and elegant looking. Even people not lovely against Nokia/WP liked it.

My only drawback so far is that the screen is not smooth. I can clearly notice when scrolling up&down that the motion is that fluid as the L920. It's not too bad though.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
How not fluid is it? I remember one of the advantages the 920 had was the 60Hz screen refresh rate, and I haven't heard anything on the rate for the 830. So, is scrolling less fluid because it gets stuck/lags (due to processor), or it just doesn't have as many frames as the 920 (screen)?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
How not fluid is it? I remember one of the advantages the 920 had was the 60Hz screen refresh rate, and I haven't heard anything on the rate for the 830. So, is scrolling less fluid because it gets stuck/lags (due to processor), or it just doesn't have as many frames as the 920 (screen)?

I think you're talking about PureMotion HD+. It meant that the phone guarantees to have 60fps at 60Hz at all times. 830 doesn't have that, but that doesn't mean it can't/won't run 60fps, its just that its not guaranteed to run at that rate at all times.

After a month of use, I have not noticed any stuttering/lagging in UI use. Games do run worse than 920 due to the weaker GPU, but I don't play games on my phones much.

For me the huge improvement in battery life is worth the change.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I think you're talking about PureMotion HD+. It meant that the phone guarantees to have 60fps at 60Hz at all times. 830 doesn't have that, but that doesn't mean it can't/won't run 60fps, its just that its not guaranteed to run at that rate at all times.

Puremotion HD+ is just a Nokia marketing term for a display that has a fast response time (less blur) and some other tweaks like sensitivity and brightness. Nothing to with fps or the refresh rate of the screen.

http://i.nokia.com/blob/view/-/1824216/data/2/-/PuremotionHD.pdf

My 820 is a lot more fast/fluid/smooth than my 920 ever was, even on the newest dp version. If the 830 is actually worse than the 920 that's pretty sad.

David Van Ryn

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently made the jump from Lumia 820 to 830 and the scrolling is terrible compared to the L820.

On the home screen, when i have enough tiles so that u have to scroll at least once down. When scrolling down it is smooth, but when swiping it back up there is always a noticeable twitch/lag/frame-rate drop and it is bugging the sh*t out of me. :angry:
Then when u are changing things in menu's and there are drop-down menu's, for instance when selecting if you want 'touch' to be on High or normal, when the drop-down 'animation' happens it lags really really bad! And there are other app's and situations where u notice it (Facebook app runs faster but looks less smooth!) overall this kill's the enjoyment and experience i was previously having with a Windows Phone.

The 820 and its flowing way handling was a joy to behold and use, not so much on this (upgrade?) L830.
My previous phone convinced me that WP8.1 was the platform to be on, and i still believe this to be true, but this phone is not a device u want to sell in this state to win over new costumers. If this would have been my first WP8.1 phone i would have changed back to android after my contract allowed me to.
Now i made the Microsoft choice, and on the last Nokia ever to be built they butchered it :crying:

This leaves me with a few thought's and questions...I still think Microsoft can be important in the mobile world, but then they need to step it up and make sure that the OS run's smooth on all the devices they sell. This is needed to stay on par at least with Apple in my humble opinion.
I ran away from Android because of that exact problem, and i hate to see it happening on WP8 devices now!

I do have 1 question, could this just be the screen? or are there users here that can identify with this on other WP phones (from cheap to flagship)?
I don't think it is the CPU or GPU, but rather the screen!, my previous phone had lesser spec's but AMOLED screen and it was buttery smooth sailing all along, maybe this makes all the difference?

Thanks for reading the wall of text, any reply would be greatly appreciated :wink:

Greetings from Belgium

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently made the jump from Lumia 820 to 830 and the scrolling is terrible compared to the L820.

On the home screen, when i have enough tiles so that u have to scroll at least once down. When scrolling down it is smooth, but when swiping it back up there is always a noticeable twitch/lag/frame-rate drop and it is bugging the sh*t out of me. :angry:
Then when u are changing things in menu's and there are drop-down menu's, for instance when selecting if you want 'touch' to be on High or normal, when the drop-down 'animation' happens it lags really really bad! And there are other app's and situations where u notice it (Facebook app runs faster but looks less smooth!) overall this kill's the enjoyment and experience i was previously having with a Windows Phone.

The 820 and its flowing way handling was a joy to behold and use, not so much on this (upgrade?) L830.
My previous phone convinced me that WP8.1 was the platform to be on, and i still believe this to be true, but this phone is not a device u want to sell in this state to win over new costumers. If this would have been my first WP8.1 phone i would have changed back to android after my contract allowed me to.
Now i made the Microsoft choice, and on the last Nokia ever to be built they butchered it :crying:

This leaves me with a few thought's and questions...I still think Microsoft can be important in the mobile world, but then they need to step it up and make sure that the OS run's smooth on all the devices they sell. This is needed to stay on par at least with Apple in my humble opinion.
I ran away from Android because of that exact problem, and i hate to see it happening on WP8 devices now!

I do have 1 question, could this just be the screen? or are there users here that can identify with this on other WP phones (from cheap to flagship)?
I don't think it is the CPU or GPU, but rather the screen!, my previous phone had lesser spec's but AMOLED screen and it was buttery smooth sailing all along, maybe this makes all the difference?

Thanks for reading the wall of text, any reply would be greatly appreciated :wink:

Greetings from Belgium

I have none of the problems on my 830 that you mentioned, except the touch sensitivity drop down, which I had never noticed before. Strangely, this lag isn't visible in any of the actual MS settings system drop downs, but then I see the same stuttering on my friend's 925, so I think this is something wrong with Nokia's app, not the phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hamododomunı