SOLVED - Turning off Calendar Birthday pop-up notifications

Yaowser

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how to turn off the calendar birthday notifications? They're obviously synched with Facebook, which I don't mind as it's nice to have them in the calendar, but the pop-ups are annoying. I'm not sure what changed as it's only started happening in the past few weeks.

The only way to actually stop them is to remove them from my calendar, but that's not ideal. I've noticed a number of people have asked about this, but no-one has found a way to stop them or answered. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Yao

Last edited:

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Turning off Calendar Birthday pop-up notifications

Does anyone know how to turn off the calendar birthday notifications? They're obviously synched with Facebook, which I don't mind as it's nice to have them in the calendar, but the pop-ups are annoying. I'm not sure what changed as it's only started happening in the past few weeks.

The only way to actually stop them is to remove them from my calendar, but that's not ideal. I've noticed a number of people have asked about this, but no-one has found a way to stop them or answered. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Yao

Are you sure they are coming through directly from facebook and not another online calendar? Mine are technically pulled from facebook but when I click on the event on my phone the calendar is labeled 'hotmail' from when I had my facebook linked to my hotmail calendar. I can then go into that calendar which is labeled 'birthdays' and adjust the notification setting via the web.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried editing the reminders from your calendar on outlook.com or Hotmail.com? I'm looking at a couple of past birthday calendar events from my outlook.com account that got automatically added from facebook (it says Source: Facebook right in the details), and there is an option that states "Calendars on your PC and mobile phone" with a reminder set for 12 hours. There's an x right next to it so that you can delete the reminder entirely. I don't have any more birthdays coming up for a while so I have no way to check if this works for the birthdays that come from Facebook.

I couldn't edit directly from the phone though. It's marked as read-only for some reason.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site

Calendar settings.
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

Jonny8X

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

I think this came in an update, mine just started the other day as well.

Akash Bhargava

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

The birthdays do not come from FaceBook. The live calendar has a Birthday Calendar which pick up b'days from the contacts and populates the calendar.

The 2 options you have:
1) go to live calendar and delete the Birthday Calendar
2) Open up Calendar on WP phone click on the settings "..." and then turn off the Birthday Calendar.

Yaowser

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
SOLVED Re: Turning off Calendar Birthday pop-up notifications

Calender settings only gives you the option to remove birthdays from your calender.

However, I think Mystictrust and pavvento have nailed it for me. I don't have a Hotmail account, but it does show my birthday calender as coming from there. I logged into my Live (Hotmail) calender and have now turned off the notification. Thanks guys.

I believe what has happened is that the Facebook app has linked birthdays to my WP8 calender and my phone has in turn linked this to my Microsoft Live account, which I use primarily for my Xbox 360. Microsoft have merged Hotmail and Xbox into a single Live account and since I've never used Hotmail I was confused initially.

Thanks,

Yao

Yaowser

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
SOLVED Re: Turning off Calendar Birthday pop-up notifications

I think this came in an update, mine just started the other day as well.

Yes. I suspect that as well.

The birthdays do not come from FaceBook. The live calendar has a Birthday Calendar which pick up b'days from the contacts and populates the calendar.

The 2 options you have:
1) go to live calendar and delete the Birthday Calendar
2) Open up Calendar on WP phone click on the settings "..." and then turn off the Birthday Calendar.

I've figured this out. They DO come from Facebook as I've never owned a Hotmail account. Plus, there are birthdays of people I only really know via Facebook.

My phone syncs my phone calendar with Facebook birthdays and then my phone syncs this with my Live account (used for my Xbox). My Live calendar (same as Hotmail) then controls the notifications. I've turned off the notifications there.

Thanks everyone.

Yao

Milos Korac

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Go to Settings, Accounts, and delete Facebook account, that will stop sync with birthday calendars, and you will be able still to use Facebook application.

Brandon Hamer

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
For me, I wanted to simply stop the notifications for birthdays and to get rid of the double listing of birthdays.
I did this:
went on my laptop and logged into my hotmail.
I'd never used the calendar on there (didn't know it existed) but found it at the top-left (grid icon > drop-down menu > select calendar)
Settings (cog wheel at the top right) > options.
Select Birthday Calndar.
Scroll down to 'Notifications' > deselect the 'Get reminders for events and tasks' > click 'Save' (!)

All that needs doing then is disabling any other birthday calendar like facebook so that you only have each birthday listed once on the calendar ((this works if you have facebook and hotmail linked so that all facebook birthdays are added to the outlook calendar)).
This is in the settings for the calendar app on your phone (simply deselect all birthday calendars except outlook).
Now each birthday should be listed once but no notification.

Hope this helps people.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamtepp