Some experiences with media.

Lightrain

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. It's my first post on the forum. It has been nearly one month since I got the 1020.

I've been struggling for the past couple of days trying to share/sync the full res 38MP image, still, in the end, I didn't arrive to find the way, but I did find some other things though. I thought I'd share my experiences with you guys who might have the same worries.

The only app capable of uploading the 38MP image directly from phone is AT&T locker. I'm not on AT&T, so sync is out of question. So I thought if we can somehow store the 5MP and 38MP images separatedly on phone, we can share the 38MP image. I've found 2 ways of doing that, though not very neat:
1. Connect to PC, get the file, upload to Skydrive and sync back to phone (require wifi/data)
2. Connect to PC, get the file, transfer back to phone via a ftp app, open the image in the app, press "save to phone" (The app is File Downloader | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States), can also use Pocket File Manager | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)) (do not require internet connection).

And those seemed to be too much of a hassle. Also there will be duplicated images in the image hub (as we store the 38MP image separatedly).
Good thing is you'll have the 38MP image available for anything.

Then I skimmed through the store trying to find an app that can capture image at full res and shareable. After lots of installs and uninstalls, I managed to find one: 1Shot Beta | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States). It can captured 34MP image (16:9), but lack manual control.
I tried the app HD Photo Viewer. It cannot access the 38MP image, only the 5MP one.

Can someone experienced explain to me why the 38MP image has to go in a full circle (phone-pc-skydrive-back to phone) before it can be displayed?

Music syncing is also a pain in the a**.
I have a lossless collection on my PC, in FLAC. But since WP can't play FLAC, I tried to convert it to WMA Lossless (with dbpoweramp). Then I read about WP8 supported audio codec here: Supported media codecs for Windows Phone
It doesn't list WMAL as a supported codec, only WMA Standard 9.2 (384 kbits max) and WMA Pro (768 kbits). I put in some WMA lossless, it does play flawlessly. Does the phone transcode it to WMA lossy, or does it not?
Can someone shed the light for me?

In the end I decided to convert all to MP3.

It's really frustrating that you have to plug the cable in everytime to sync music (and every other things).
I did tried to copy music from pc to phone via ftp: WMA got rename to MP3 when save to music hub, MP3 of course can't be rename but does not display album art (have to manually add with MPAtool | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States))
And there's no way to copy video to library without having to plug in the cable.

Why does Microsoft have to hide a lot of API and make an OS so restricted?
I've always been waiting eagerly for an update. Hope GDR3 supplies something more than the preview.

Last edited:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

Not clear if you already knew this but the image you view on your phone is the 38mp pro version. And if you've got a 1020 I would suggest getting used to syncing files to your PC as the Nokia Cam and Smart Cam files can get pretty big.

Have had mine since it was released in the UK and I now move all 38mp files to a skydrive folder for viewing, easy sharing and to keep the space on my phone. I only keep the 5mp pictures in the photos folder on the phone purely for the double wide tile and for the lockbuster app collage

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
You know you can also drag files between the phone and PC through Windows Explorer? Ever since I found this out, I have never used the Sync Manager anymore.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Try 1Shot, it was an article yesterday stating that this app has access to the full38mp images. I don't know if you can share them or anything else tho.

Lightrain

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the link. In fact I had all my music well tagged. I'm just frustrated that I have to plug the phone in to transfer them and can't do that wirelessly.
About the image, I know the 38MP images can be viewed by pressing "open in Nokia Camera/Pro Cam", the thing is we cannot upload/sync/share it (again, wirelessly).
I do use Windows Explorer instead of the Windows Phone app of Windows 8. Obviously, it's more intuitive.

In the era of cloud services and we still have to plug the phone in to transfer things every single time.
Maybe I'm gonna get used to it soon. But again, can't help to say that Microsoft is just bad and so close-minded.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link. In fact I had all my music well tagged. I'm just frustrated that I have to plug the phone in to transfer them and can't do that wirelessly.
About the image, I know the 38MP images can be viewed by pressing "open in Nokia Camera/Pro Cam", the thing is we cannot upload/sync/share it (again, wirelessly).
I do use Windows Explorer instead of the Windows Phone app of Windows 8. Obviously, it's more intuitive.

In the era of cloud services and we still have to plug the phone in to transfer things every single time.
Maybe I'm gonna get used to it soon. But again, can't help to say that Microsoft is just bad and so close-minded.

Im actually glad that you have to connect to a PC to transfer and sync the 38mp images - can you imagine what it would do your data allowance transferring a bunch of 38mp photos. Would be ok on wifi of course but theres plenty of occaisions where that cant be done - files will be even bigger when they enable RAW file format for the pictures.

ANDYS01

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

Hi there,
Try phriz.be from WP store, I had tried and I could get the Hi Res 38mp/34mp wifi out to email without data cable
I just found FILE EXPLORER from WP store, haven't tried, but might be good for photo and music wifi transfer.
Cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124