Stop receiving Skype/Messenger Messages as Texts

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been having this annoying problem for some time and I haven't been able to find any information on it. Either I'm not searching properly or others don't have the problem. Anyway, here's the scenario:

I'm at work and have Skype open on my laptop. Someone sends me a text via Messenger, which of course is now integrated with Skype, and it's delivered both to Skype and my phone as a text. It seems like somehow the system knows when I'm in Skype on my laptop because the messages temporary stop coming to my phone. But once I go back to work, within a couple of minutes, the messages start showing up on my phone again.

Setting myself as invisible or offline on my phone doesn't work. It changes my status on my laptop as well and when I try changing my status there it also changes status on my phone. I know you can switch between messenger and texts on the phone, but that's only for outgoing messages.

It's aggravating because I want to know when I receive an actual text, but I don't want the phone notifying me every time I get a message I can already see on my computer. Maybe it's just a fact of life for Windows Phone, the nature of integration. But then, there definitely should be distinct notifications.

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't have this problem. The built in message hub doesn't support Skype so you don't get Skype messages in the hub only messenger messages. If you mean the Skype app on Windows Phone then you can turn off messenger notifications in the Settings. Also Skype is about to change its backend which will allow it to sync messages cross platform without the current problems people have and WP is likely to be updated to support Skype in the message hub, when this happens hopefully all will be fixed

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... I don't use messaging on my PC much at all so the functionality there might be different.

I only mention Skype because of MSN being merged into Skype. So on my MacBook Pro I chat with former Messenger contacts via Skype. Apparently both Skype and my phone knows the difference. On my phone notifications are disabled, but messaging on my phone knows those contacts are from Messenger and continues accepting them.

There's no way to disable those messages unless I set myself to invisible or offline on my phone. The problem with that is that it also changes the status on my laptop; I can't have a separate status for my phone and laptop.

I've since discovered that while I'm in Skype on the MacBook my phone stops receiving messages. But within a minute or two of using another app I start getting messages on my phone again. I'm guessing it's working as intended and is supposed to reflect this new interoperability. But it's annoying to not have the ability to disable notifications from specific sources. So I wonder if in Windows it knows better than to start spamming your phone the instant Skype/Messenger is sent to the background.

Perhaps, as you mention, this functionality will be addressed with upcoming updates.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, which is why when WP8 just became alive, those that were familiar with the OS always advice new comers to create a new MS account.
The problem is that when you tie your phone with the MS account, due to the integration you are in a mess with everything that is involved with the signed in account.
Now what you have is that the MS account that had bond with the phone is probably the one you had been using for years with ms live services. While you can filter them off in people's hub, you probably end up with an empty contact list which is not any better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spunkydj