Suddenly not W10 verified

anon(10548125)

Nov 8, 2018
Visit site
Hi. I have a Lenovo laptop L420 several years old. Was updated free from W7 Pro to W10 Pro.
Switched on this evening and I'm not verified, or "Windows isn't Activated. Activate Windows now".

Also I saw some screen saying Activate Windows Home or purchase Windows Pro, (I think).

I'm rusty on what I knew and remember about Windows in general. This is my 4th pc since 2002.
Thought a Windows sticker would be on the casing.

Is this a known temporary issue with Windows?

My Settings - About says I have version 1809 installed on 3rd October 2018.

I would like to get an opinion before I get into it and get irretrievably stuck. I had some paperwork I will search for, but I'm sure it's only glossy folding manuals.

Sorry if this is a regular question with a posted answer. I did a quick search here and saw a guide for retrieving a product key by entering code or something.

I did restart twice.

anon(10548125)

Nov 8, 2018
Visit site
LOL.
Thanks @spicypadthal.

I must have glazed over when I saw the words "activation servers" in the title, and assumed my issue would not be front and centre.

Well, that answers that. All good. Many thanks.
The panic about whether I have a product key like I had with my old XP's has abated.

Maybe it will reappear and I can copy it then.

Shame on Microsoft, but I'm less angry with them now. :p

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
LOL.
Thanks @spicypadthal.

I must have glazed over when I saw the words "activation servers" in the title, and assumed my issue would not be front and centre.

Well, that answers that. All good. Many thanks.
The panic about whether I have a product key like I had with my old XP's has abated.

Maybe it will reappear and I can copy it then.

Shame on Microsoft, but I'm less angry with them now. :p

You can use magical jellybean (free version) or produkey by Nirsoft (no install required) to retrieve your serial keys.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
You can use magical jellybean (free version) or produkey by Nirsoft (no install required) to retrieve your serial keys.

Shouldn't need to. The problem has been fixed and if doesn't update automatically, go to All Settings > Update & Security > Activation > Troubleshoot. It'll open the the activation troubleshooter which will re-activate Windows.

anon(10548125)

Nov 8, 2018
Visit site
So I just sat down and tried Troubleshoot via Activation and not the Troubleshoot button yesterday, and yes! I got a blue pop up thing instantly saying Windows is now Activated, or similar. (That one wouldn't screenshot.)

I thought it will take a couple of days anyway, and I haven't been on my pc much.

Windows would work up to now, and a manual check would show my Windows Updates were - em - up to date, though no Defender updates until I was re-activated.
There was a permanent screen reminder overlay in the bottom right saying not Activated.

This is today's before and after shots if it helps anyone (I'm sure it doesn't but I get a kick out of posting screenshots).

It seems I have a digital license linked to my MS account, as it was a free upgrade from W7 (pro), so no key. I will try those two suggestions anyway, soon (I'm in a hotel).

Thanks you guys for the help. :)

2018-11-09.jpg2018-11-09 (1).png2018-11-09 (2).png

anon(10548125)

Nov 8, 2018
Visit site
Added: I did get a CD Key from Magical Jellybean, if that's the one I might need sometime. So thanks.

Also I realise now the screen message was just today urging me to get the Validation manually in Settings (I assumed it will be automatic) I've just seen the updated blog.

Thanks both again.

anon(10548125)

Nov 8, 2018
Visit site
Update : Moderator's have now caught up with my two missing posts above (thank you) so this post is redundant. But you're here and I'm a fascinating guy so pretend you want to read it anyway :)

------
I posted twice yesterday (w screenshots) awaiting moderation but they haven't appeared.
Anyway the manual update worked as advised.
Also the blog update was not visible from the app.

Thanks agin you guys or gals.

ADDED : I also now see a comments section on the blog :p

I apparently have a digital license so no key, but the Magical Jellybean above got me a key anyway (as mentioned in my lost posts).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss