The Xbox handheld is already here — it's called the Steam Deck (with Windows 11)

Bennytek

Feb 11, 2022
Visit site
Whenever Valve decides to release the Steam Deck in Australia, I can't wait to run both SteamOS and Windows on it
Best of both worlds 😌

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
2 thoughts:

1. Valve should offer a version with Windows pre-installed, removing the hassle and making it more viable for the less technical users, even if it has to charge more to do so.

2. I hope enough OEM's show interest in doing this that it encourages MS to develop a true handheld gaming UI for Windows.

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
@Bennytek Aye that's what I do, I got Windows 11 just on the SD card and Steam OS on the regular partition if I want to switch back. The downside of running Windows 11 is that you only get 4GB of the 6GB VRAM supposedly, something I didn't know. However, it generally hasn't affected the games I fancy playing on this thing so far.

@GraniteStateColin I agree on this entirely. The fact Windows has so many overheads is inflating the price of some of these devices. I expect the ASUS Rog Ally to be at least like 700-800 dollars.

Reactions: GraniteStateColin

pjmlp

Oct 20, 2021
Visit site
The whole reason why SteamOS exists in first place is how Valve got turned off from Windows store and licenses.

For Valve, having Steam OS is the way to make themselves independent from whatever Microsoft decides to do, hence why I don't believe they will ever give Windows the same tier 1 treatment as they are doing with SteamOS.

They are also the ones sponsoring Vulkan and Proton FOSS development exactly as means to improve Steam OS.

I see it more likely that other OEMs will try to push Windows based handhelds than Valve.

Reactions: GraniteStateColin

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
The whole reason why SteamOS exists in first place is how Valve got turned off from Windows store and licenses.

For Valve, having Steam OS is the way to make themselves independent from whatever Microsoft decides to do, hence why I don't believe they will ever give Windows the same tier 1 treatment as they are doing with SteamOS.

They are also the ones sponsoring Vulkan and Proton FOSS development exactly as means to improve Steam OS.

I see it more likely that other OEMs will try to push Windows based handhelds than Valve.

Agreed. I was very critical of Valve's launch of the Steam Deck w/o even offering a Windows option as a slap in Microsoft's face right after MS moved several games over to Steam and a continuation of Valve's efforts to make Windows and Microsoft irrelevant to gaming. But, to their credit (and so I don't appear to be a complete hypocrite), Valve has worked to make it a little easier to install Windows and at least softened their anti-MS push. I should acknowledge and encourage Valve's moves in the right direction, small as they may be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb