The Xbox Series X 'Brooklin' refresh is dead to me without this feature

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I long preferred physical discs. Living out in the country where I do, Internet had not been good enough (thank you, Elon Musk and SpaceX, for Starlink: now everyone with a good view of the sky can have decent Internet). But even before we had decent Internet, I had kids. Each kid has his or her own Xbox.

Unfortunately, because the games all seem to require the physical disc to play, this renders them fundamentally crippled compared to digital downloads for anyone with multiple Xboxes in the same household. This isn't an inherent problem with physical discs -- they could be used to install and then not require the disc, but for what I assume is some form of copy protection, they never seem to work that way.

With the downloadable versions, even if it took all night or multiple days over a slow DSL or T1 connection, we could download the same game on multiple Xboxes linked to my account and we could all play instead of just one person.

One other player advantage to downloaded versions over discs is changing between games. If you just leave the disc in for Starfield for weeks or months on end, then this is moot, but if you play multiple different games or want to watch that 4k HDR movie disc, you have to pop out the current disc, store it, put in the new one, etc. And then be sure to remember when you put the one you removed so you can go back to your original game later.

Lastly, similar to the short-term hassle of remembering where the discs are, is the long term need to keep them. If I want to go back to play Fallout 4 (which I originally bought on disc), I have to find the disc. For all the games I bought digitally, I just select it from the menu and play. If it's been years, I confess I may never be able to find the disc, meaning that game is lost to me, permanently.

So for me, while I think it would be a terrible mistake for MS (or Sony) to not offer at least one version of their console with disc support (for people who can't get or afford good Internet), or at least support a USB3 add-on drive, and while I prefer having the drive for my older games and movies that I did buy on discs, I actively avoid buying any new games on discs now due to all those issues.

Ironically, for music, I'll still go for CD's and rip them. :)
(That's the only way to get the deep cuts and bonus tracks that are never available via streaming services.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaymd

Kaymd

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I long preferred physical discs. Living out in the country where I do, Internet had not been good enough (thank you, Elon Musk and SpaceX, for Starlink: now everyone with a good view of the sky can have decent Internet). But even before we had decent Internet, I had kids. Each kid has his or her own Xbox.

Unfortunately, because the games all seem to require the physical disc to play, this renders them fundamentally crippled compared to digital downloads for anyone with multiple Xboxes in the same household. This isn't an inherent problem with physical discs -- they could be used to install and then not require the disc, but for what I assume is some form of copy protection, they never seem to work that way.

With the downloadable versions, even if it took all night or multiple days over a slow DSL or T1 connection, we could download the same game on multiple Xboxes linked to my account and we could all play instead of just one person.

One other player advantage to downloaded versions over discs is changing between games. If you just leave the disc in for Starfield for weeks or months on end, then this is moot, but if you play multiple different games or want to watch that 4k HDR movie disc, you have to pop out the current disc, store it, put in the new one, etc. And then be sure to remember when you put the one you removed so you can go back to your original game later.

Lastly, similar to the short-term hassle of remembering where the discs are, is the long term need to keep them. If I want to go back to play Fallout 4 (which I originally bought on disc), I have to find the disc. For all the games I bought digitally, I just select it from the menu and play. If it's been years, I confess I may never be able to find the disc, meaning that game is lost to me, permanently.

So for me, while I think it would be a terrible mistake for MS (or Sony) to not offer at least one version of their console with disc support (for people who can't get or afford good Internet), or at least support a USB3 add-on drive, and while I prefer having the drive for my older games and movies that I did buy on discs, I actively avoid buying any new games on discs now due to all those issues.

Ironically, for music, I'll still go for CD's and rip them. :)
(That's the only way to get the deep cuts and bonus tracks that are never available via streaming services.)
The problem is that modern physical games are just glorified plastic cd keys.
Their only value today is maybe as a decorative accessory to line your bookshelves (which I don't mind :) ).

Can you imagine trying to play the launch version of say Cyberpunk 2077 that was on the physical disk? I can't remember a single game in recent years that has not had several essential patches since launch.
The actual data on the game disk you purchased is practically useless.

In the end, even after a physical game purchase, you actually play the 'digital' version residing on the remote server with the latest patches, bug fixes, updates etc. You don't want the vanilla version you got on the physical disk. Same applies to modern operating systems (Windows, Android, Linux etc.).

This is very different from music and movies. Once an album or a movie is released, it is done. Closed and finalized forever. Nothing like a movie patch or a song update lol. Only 'update' possibility is a completely new album or movie sequel or whatever, which, when released, is also done and final.

Therefore, only for music and movies are physical discs meaningful. For games, they are now plastic license keys.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Their only value today is maybe as a decorative accessory to line your bookshelves (which I don't mind :) ).

Can you imagine trying to play the launch version of say Cyberpunk 2077 that was on the physical disk? I can't remember a single game in recent years that has not had several essential patches since launch.

In the end, even after a physical game purchase, you actually play the 'digital' version residing on the remote server with the latest patches, bug fixes, updates etc. You don't want the vanilla version you got on the physical disk. Same applies to modern operating systems (Windows, Android, Linux etc.).

This is very different from music and movies. Once an album or a movie is released, it is done. Closed and finalized forever. Nothing like a movie patch or a song update lol. Only 'update' possibility is a completely new album or movie sequel or whatever, which, when released, is also done and final.

Therefore, only for music and movies are physical discs meaningful. For games, they are now plastic license keys.

Great points. Completely agree. In fact, building on your point, with the day one patching usually occurring for the digital version in the background before you ever start the game, it's actually worse to play with the disk version, because for the disk version, you have to wait for that patch to download while you wish you were playing.

To take devil's advocate, and support Richard Devine's position, he's right for the perspective he shared: if the only concern is game cost, then they are cheaper to buy physically, especially when factoring in resale of used games.

However, this misses the cost advantages of Game Pass. I don't personally use it for the same first reason I only buy digital: I have multiple kids and I'd need to buy a separate Game Pass subscription for each kid. Too expensive, not doing it. But if they offered a Family Plan (like they're talking about) or if I didn't have kids, I'd subscribe to Game Pass in a heartbeat and that's even cheaper per game than physical disks if you play more than a very small number of games per year.

And yeah, not all games are there, but if it includes several that you'll play, that still lowers the average cost per game even if you still buy others outside Game Pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaymd
Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Reactions: GraniteStateColin

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Disc drives are a thing of the past and will die. The sooner the better.
You sure don't need a plastic disc or cartridge to play PC games and that hasn't been an issue for anyone ever.
Let's leave the burdens of physical media behind and stop fetishizing objects that are only meant to carry data.

NoLifeDGenerate

May 7, 2023
www.mentallyirregular.com

EXACTLY! So many people don't seem to get this and insist on clinging to games on disc. I remember an article about Babylon's Fall shutting down and being delisted where someone actually whined they were going to look for the disc and never buy digital again. Like...it doesn't work at all without the servers, genius.

I just want physical games to die a proper death instead of becoming code-in-a-box bullshit like PC did. I also very much want to see an end to Gamestop in the process, but that's another conversation.

The only real issue I see with dropping disc drives is the draconian licensing that keeps causing digital versions of games to be de-listed. The only thing I've used my Series X disc drive for so far was Deadpool, for that reason. If I could exchange the disc for a digital copy, I would gladly do so. I'll never understand why these companies came up with de-listing in the first place. Marvel should just keep getting a cut of the sales. Problem solved. The game exists. Why leave money on the table de-listing it???

mymarcio

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Just dropped by to make an observation. Microsoft can't catch a break and more interestingly from it's own users. No wonder non-microsoft users cringe when they hear about Microsoft. These type of articles start painting a negative picture even before we have a chance to see the final product and ruin possible good products that end up getting canned. (In contrast, Apple fans and articles seem to have the opposite feel, regardless of how poor or meh the updates are.)

This reminded me of the time Microsoft unveiled Digital lending - allowing users to share digital games as if borrowing a CD. The premise, if I recall correctly, would allow a user to lend a game to a friend. The friend would be able to play the game for 7 days, with the requirement of being online to validate that the lending was still active. The owner would not have access to the game while lending the game, but could revoke it at any time. The owner would need to validate lending again if the 7 day deadline was met. All in all this was a very logical solution to a convention we have with CDs.

Because of a similar article like this, trashing the feature before it was released, Microsoft canned the project -- after gamers lost their mind. Then there is the point some people made above... Games are released so unpolished nowadays due to their extensive features and unfinished parts to align with launch dates... Digitally seems to be the best way to go given how many patches you need to download by the time you put the CD in on day 1.

NoLifeDGenerate

May 7, 2023
Just dropped by to make an observation. Microsoft can't catch a break and more interestingly from it's own users. No wonder non-microsoft users cringe when they hear about Microsoft. These type of articles start painting a negative picture even before we have a chance to see the final product and ruin possible good products that end up getting canned. (In contrast, Apple fans and articles seem to have the opposite feel, regardless of how poor or meh the updates are.)

This reminded me of the time Microsoft unveiled Digital lending - allowing users to share digital games as if borrowing a CD. The premise, if I recall correctly, would allow a user to lend a game to a friend. The friend would be able to play the game for 7 days, with the requirement of being online to validate that the lending was still active. The owner would not have access to the game while lending the game, but could revoke it at any time. The owner would need to validate lending again if the 7 day deadline was met. All in all this was a very logical solution to a convention we have with CDs.

Because of a similar article like this, trashing the feature before it was released, Microsoft canned the project -- after gamers lost their mind. Then there is the point some people made above... Games are released so unpolished nowadays due to their extensive features and unfinished parts to align with launch dates... Digitally seems to be the best way to go given how many patches you need to download by the time you put the CD in on day 1.

No, that was total ****, and nobody wanted to deal with online check-ins. The digital licensing system is perfect as is and better stay that way. People game sharing the way things are is enough to suit your purpose. We don't need garbage like selling/trading digital licenses cocking things up.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Or they could just announce support for external CD drives.

That seems like an ideal solution, just use the USB 3 to work with an external USB 3 Bluray drive. Keeps the cost out for those who don't need it, makes it available to anyone who does, AND simplifies the purchase decision, because you don't have to pause to think about which model to buy, "Will I really NEED a drive? Hmm...."

Indecision at time of sale is a killer. Anything that makes that process simpler serves as a sales driver. Choice is good. Choices that are hard to make between options may still seem good, but not if you're the company offering that choice.

Last edited:

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site

Well, Richard Devine is a Linux and Steam Deck guy, so not exactly mainstream on the bell curve of user preferences. Of course he loves technology in general, so his point of view is great to read, but by his articles on Windows Central, compared to most other Windows Central writers, he's not a Microsoft fan.

Full disclosure, I have plenty of non-mainstream beliefs too. That's not in indictment on either of us, just something to keep in mind when reading those articles -- they reflect a very niche point of view.

fjtorres5591

May 16, 2023
Visit site
One "minor" detail: has anybody priced disk players lately?
I was looking for one for the family room and a decent quality new one ran US$229. A leftover new OneX ran $279.
Not much choice.
I downloaded KODI and connected an external drive with my ripped CDs.
I even tested STARFIELD on it. Worked fine. A good backup to my SX in the gaming room.

Driveless consoles have their place--my sister loves her SS-- but MS would be better served by adding HDMI IN than taking out the drive. The things only cost them $10 at most, anyway.

Not worth it

NoLifeDGenerate

May 7, 2023
One "minor" detail: has anybody priced disk players lately?
I was looking for one for the family room and a decent quality new one ran US$229. A leftover new OneX ran $279.
Not much choice.
I downloaded KODI and connected an external drive with my ripped CDs.
I even tested STARFIELD on it. Worked fine. A good backup to my SX in the gaming room.

Driveless consoles have their place--my sister loves her SS-- but MS would be better served by adding HDMI IN than taking out the drive. The things only cost them $10 at most, anyway.

Not worth it

The prices for players are ridiculous. I bought my Sony X800 for $248 in 2018. The X800M2 came out in 2019. It's still the current model. Still looks EXACTLY the same. Yet, they want $329 for it. WTF

george salambassi

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
one slight problem with your article,

you wrote
"Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy has been out for a couple of years now. On Amazon, in the UK, you can buy a copy of this game for £16.99 at the time of writing. On the Xbox Store, it's £59.99. "

I bought it yesterday digitally for £4.49

on top of the price saving, that digital copy allows me to game share it with my son, so effectively it is 2 copies
and as it is an Xbox Play anywhere title it means that I can start playing on my xbox and then continue playing on my PC (I couldn't do that with the Physical copy)

I get that there are a number of people that ride or die when it comes to physical. but you must recognise that you are a dying breed, and it's not just me that is saying this to be cantankerous, it is something that is reflected in the sales numbers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria