This was WinRAR's reaction to Windows 11 getting native .RAR support 🥺

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
In a quick search, I couldn't find anything that says RAR is patented, only copyrighted. If only copyrighted, MS could reproduce it as long as they don't use the owner's source code.

However, I see the date of its release is 1993, so with a 20-year patent life, even if it had been patented, at least older versions would be in the public domain by now (newer updates could still be protected).

If the current most effective RAR compression methods are still covered under patent, legally, MS would need to license it from the owner to use that version. A patent can't reach backwards past that 20 year lifespan, but it could cover newer improvements since 2003.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
In a quick search, I couldn't find anything that says RAR is patented, only copyrighted. If only copyrighted, MS could reproduce it as long as they don't use the owner's source code.

However, I see the date of its release is 1993, so with a 20-year patent life, even if it had been patented, at least older versions would be in the public domain by now (newer updates could still be protected).

If the current most effective RAR compression methods are still covered under patent, legally, MS would need to license it from the owner to use that version. A patent can't reach backwards past that 20 year lifespan, but it could cover newer improvements since 2003.

By the way, 7z, which is definitely open source, does yield better compression (smaller files) than RAR or others. RAR's strength is in its compression speed, being a bit faster than 7z. On the rare occasions when I compress files, I just use ZIP because it's universal and anyone can open them, with both the speed and size differences being negligible for me. 7z is my alternative, like if I need to fit a bunch of files onto a thumb drive that might not quite hold a ZIP or RAR file.

I like the Nanazip 7Z app that integrates well into the Windows 11 shell (without having to select Show more options to get it). It's basically 7zip that works with the new Windows 11 File Explorer and shell.

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
By the way, 7z, which is definitely open source, does yield better compression (smaller files) than RAR or others. RAR's strength is in its compression speed, being a bit faster than 7z. On the rare occasions when I compress files, I just use ZIP because it's universal and anyone can open them, with both the speed and size differences being negligible for me. 7z is my alternative, like if I need to fit a bunch of files onto a thumb drive that might not quite hold a ZIP or RAR file.

I like the Nanazip 7Z app that integrates well into the Windows 11 shell (without having to select Show more options to get it). It's basically 7zip that works with the new Windows 11 File Explorer and shell.
fair. good insights there. i used to use 7z cus it had a windows phone app lolllllllllll. where rar didnt at the time. the devs of torrex made one, forgot what it was called now. UWP life. but yeah i RARELY zip rar or 7z things these days. i remember feeling like it was necessary when internet speeds were slower but now its just like.. ill just send a onedrive folder link or something. still, gotta respect what winrar did for the development of the modern web.

Reactions: GraniteStateColin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett