Tmobile.com - No windows phones available?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
They are clearing space for the new Nokias...that's why they killed the 810 and the 8X is in the witness protection program.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
They are clearing space for the new Nokias...that's why they killed the 810 and the 8X is in the witness protection program.

lol. Good way to put it. Actually, though, the 810 faked its death and is in hiding in select T-Mobile stores
[SUP](stores that still have stock still can sell you the phone last I checked).[/SUP]

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
lol. Good way to put it. Actually, though, the 810 faked its death and is in hiding in select T-Mobile stores
[SUP](stores that still have stock still can sell you the phone last I checked).[/SUP]

Faked its death eh? It feels like T-Mobile went all "Sith killing of the Jedi when they took power from the Old Republic" when they EOL'ed the 810 and we users who bought and liked the phone are like the last Jedi alive in hiding. If we get another update, I'll pop a bottle of champagne to celebrate.

Overpriced. That was the fate of both the 810 and the 8X. If T-Mobile's new pricing was out when both were launched in November, I betcha they'd sell like hot cakes. Finding a T-Mobile 8X is as elusive as finding a Ativ S.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
That's just sad. I love how T-Mobile got the iPhone and then swept WP under the rug. :angry:

if the rumored catwalk comes to T-Mobile, they will be back to good ol' Nokia strategy. They seemed to be the ones who pushed Nokia devices and WP the MOST during WP7. This time around though, changing of how they do things and overpriced Windows Phones lead to poor sales and a few disgruntled windows phone users. (The 810 went through what, 2 price drops?) So far the 521 is selling like hotcakes, and if the rumored catwalk exists and comes to TMO then I'm sure they wont be pushing just iPhone anymore. But you got to admit, they've been waiting for iPhone for ages. They are going to focus marketing for a month or two on it at least.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
How were the 810 and 8x overpriced? Are WP devices not worth paying anything for and only good for bargain basement hunters? Not sure I follow the reasoning that WP has to be cheap to sell.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
How were the 810 and 8x overpriced? Are WP devices not worth paying anything for and only good for bargain basement hunters? Not sure I follow the reasoning that WP has to be cheap to sell.

No one implied WP8 has to be cheap to sell, but competitively pricing it at launch on T-Mobile was necessary. They didn't. What posses off a user like me who owns as 810 is that T-Mobile knew what's was coming down the pipeline and screwed us.

When launched: 8X was $200 on contract and the 810 was $150 (technically $100 due to the mail on rebate) on T-Mobile. To me, they could have knocked $50 off each easily to start and priced them at 8X for $150 ($200 with $150 rebate) and 810 for $50 ($100 with $50 rebate. Comparatively at launch, AT&T had the 820 @$50 and the 8X (8GB @$100) and the 8X (16GB) @$200, along with the 920@ 100 - all with contract. Those are good values to get people to buy the phones. Now T-Mobile wins on monthly pricing if your coverage area is good bit if you don't promote your $#%!, how will people know to buy?

If you noticed, they drip the 810's price twice and it still didn't help, mostly because buzz was about 920. Remember, on T-Mobile the real WP7 seller was the 710. But T-Mobile pissed WP7 users off by not updating 710 (did the Radar even get 7.8 from them directly?). Then you screw up launch with limited available accessories. No real advertising of either the 8X or 810. Sales people who weren't as sharp with talking about WP8. I walked into 2 flagship stores in NYC by Macy's at launch and got different experiences. AT&T, WP was out in force, reps were talking it up accessories either available or they can say when. T-Mobile, reps weren't crisp, accessories where scant, phones were off or not available for demo. Seriously, why did it take me 2 MONTHS to find 3rd party accessories for a carrier variant like the 810 when 820 accessories were there at launch date?
So now they decided to get the 521 and the Catwalk (no change in shape so accessories are better available). And they haven't said yet they will support the 810 with future updates (they probably won't). Thanks for treating us early adopters with love...

JustinSalvato

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Funny, I was just on there looking for Windows Phone devices and saw none. Wanted to come here to vent. Someone beat me to it.

I want a HIGH end Windows Phone, but can you imagine how well a $150 Nokia Lumia 521 would do if they sold them online & in store through T-Mobile??

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Funny, I was just on there looking for Windows Phone devices and saw none. Wanted to come here to vent. Someone beat me to it.

I want a HIGH end Windows Phone, but can you imagine how well a $150 Nokia Lumia 521 would do if they sold them online & in store through T-Mobile??

T-Mo is clearing space for the Lumia 925...that's probably has high end as it will get this year, unless HTC releases something else other than that rumored Tiara for Sprint...meanwhile, the 920 successor will end up on AT&T this fall...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That's just sad. I love how T-Mobile got the iPhone and then swept WP under the rug. :angry:

That is true, but can you blame T-Mobile? A lot of iPhone users don't even know there is anything else, and, admittedly, iPhone deserves the reputation it has. I wonder how many users wanted T-Mobile's competitive rates or high speeds in certain cities, but didn't switch because they didn't have iPhones.

No one implied WP8 has to be cheap to sell, but competitively pricing it at launch on T-Mobile was necessary. They didn't. What posses off a user like me who owns as 810 is that T-Mobile knew what's was coming down the pipeline and screwed us.

I feel your pain, but exactly how did T-Mobile screw you? :confused: They didn't force you to buy an 810 did they? Or promise you anything?

I wonder too why T-Mobile doesn't sell the 521 directly. I happened to find a couple Walmart stores around here with them, but it wasn't easy. There are probably 6 or 8 Walmarts within a half hour drive of my house, and there were a total of 4 phones available.

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I feel your pain, but exactly how did T-Mobile screw you? :confused: They didn't force you to buy an 810 did they? Or promise you anything?

You should go look in the Lumia 810 threads - "Lumia 810 - EOL" - to see why some of 810 users are very concerned.

Here's the shorter version - we understand that OEMs are in the business of selling phones, carriers are in the business of getting customers and MSFT is in the business of selling licenses for WP8 and making as much money from Android as possible. But the existing user base of a product shouldn't have to suffer for poor sales (810 was overpriced and under-marketed). Especially when T-Mobile knew what was coming down the pipeline.

Yes, if you want to get existential, T-Mobile didn't force me to buy a 810. Not everyone wants a 920 either, or like me, could have afforded a factory unlocked model at the time of launch. The 810 best fit my needs, so i bought it based on educated research and decision making. If i knew they were going to EOL this thing after 6 months, I would have stuck with my Galaxy Nexus and bought a 920 in the spring. Now I am stuck with a phone because it is a carrier variant THAT THE CARRIER NO LONGER SELLS, throws it back into WP7 days where I'm at T-Mobile's mercy in terms of updates. What's worse, I have no other way to get updates for the phone (no ZUNE). People have been hounding both Nokia and T-Mobile and the run around has been: "Talk to T-Mobile" - Nokia; "Talk to Nokia" - T-Mobile.

This flies in the face of the MSFT announcements that says that all WP8 handsets will get updates for the next 18 months. The "Other" storage is a REAL issue, especially for many 810 users. Try dealing with 5 GB of "other" on a phone that has 7.41GB free to users. Why am I resetting my phone just to use it? So now I have to not use the phone fully by keeping a bare minimum of apps that i actually use on it, and doing other things to preserve space.

So forgive me if i feel slighted if i think that what i pay to the carrier monthly doesn't entitle me to a bit better after sales support. All they have to do is come out and say "we're working with Nokia on this". That hasn't happened, and it probably won't once the 521 (which gets Wifi calling) and the Catwalk comes out.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
All they have to do is come out and say "we're working with Nokia on this". That hasn't happened, and it probably won't once the 521 (which gets Wifi calling) and the Catwalk comes out.
I really doubt they will say it. Wait for few days and see it. 521 is already out and probably it will be sold better than 810 (still no better promos from TMO, but only because of low price and WiFi calling), once they get Catwalk, I doubt if you get any updates for 810 from them !!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You should go look in the Lumia 810 threads - "Lumia 810 - EOL" - to see why some of 810 users are very concerned.

Here's the shorter version - we understand that OEMs are in the business of selling phones, carriers are in the business of getting customers and MSFT is in the business of selling licenses for WP8 and making as much money from Android as possible. But the existing user base of a product shouldn't have to suffer for poor sales (810 was overpriced and under-marketed). Especially when T-Mobile knew what was coming down the pipeline.

Yes, if you want to get existential, T-Mobile didn't force me to buy a 810. Not everyone wants a 920 either, or like me, could have afforded a factory unlocked model at the time of launch. The 810 best fit my needs, so i bought it based on educated research and decision making. If i knew they were going to EOL this thing after 6 months, I would have stuck with my Galaxy Nexus and bought a 920 in the spring. Now I am stuck with a phone because it is a carrier variant THAT THE CARRIER NO LONGER SELLS, throws it back into WP7 days where I'm at T-Mobile's mercy in terms of updates. What's worse, I have no other way to get updates for the phone (no ZUNE). People have been hounding both Nokia and T-Mobile and the run around has been: "Talk to T-Mobile" - Nokia; "Talk to Nokia" - T-Mobile.

This flies in the face of the MSFT announcements that says that all WP8 handsets will get updates for the next 18 months. The "Other" storage is a REAL issue, especially for many 810 users. Try dealing with 5 GB of "other" on a phone that has 7.41GB free to users. Why am I resetting my phone just to use it? So now I have to not use the phone fully by keeping a bare minimum of apps that i actually use on it, and doing other things to preserve space.

So forgive me if i feel slighted if i think that what i pay to the carrier monthly doesn't entitle me to a bit better after sales support. All they have to do is come out and say "we're working with Nokia on this". That hasn't happened, and it probably won't once the 521 (which gets Wifi calling) and the Catwalk comes out.

Wow, I didn't realize all that was going on with the 810. I never had one so I don't pay much attention to the 810 threads. You and all other 810 users have my sympathies!

All I can say is that you must be a diehard WP fan to stick with it! Most people in your shoes would have probably tossed their WP off a cliff by now, or threw it at Jessica Alba. I've had only good experiences with WP, besides the shortcomings I knew about going in.

I just got a 521, and for the price I can highly recommend it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Maybe T-Mobile just doesn't have the resources to serve you like you want?

Hmmm, let me think...could it be that all those resources are tied up into selling more iPhones officially, more Galaxy S4s, some HTC Ones, a few Lumia 521s and the rumored Catwalk? Not to mention making sure that they are ready for the iPhone coming down the pipe? Yes, you're right. So i guess it is on the consumer to think about whether or not the phone they are about to buy is a good EOL candidate as well? This isn't 2006 when you bought a phone as it because you knew no firmware tweaks to make it better where coming.

This is why people in the know wherever possible buy factory unlocked and go pre-paid when they get tired of post paid carrier shenanigans. I guess the carriers need to put up an official sign that says "when you buy a phone from us, shut up and pay your bill and use the phone as is." After all, they already do that unofficially.

And you wonder why Apple is rolling in cash hand over fist. For them it isn't about the device, it is the after sales support is where the cash lies.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I didn't realize all that was going on with the 810. I never had one so I don't pay much attention to the 810 threads. You and all other 810 users have my sympathies!

All I can say is that you must be a diehard WP fan to stick with it! Most people in your shoes would have probably tossed their WP off a cliff by now, or threw it at Jessica Alba. I've had only good experiences with WP, besides the shortcomings I knew about going in.

I just got a 521, and for the price I can highly recommend it.

I do like the platform enough to stick with it, but i won't buy another carrier variant again. Ever. I would only recommend the 521 for it being a great deal at its price point and a phone if you don't plan to push it much, it will do the job.

See, the thing some folks forget is that the 521 and the 810 have 1 thing in common: 8GB of storage. The "other" may not be as big an issue due to the target users...T-Mobile may think that light users will be fine with the 8GB and having an other of about 1.5-2GB because they don't put the handset alot. The 810 was more true midrange, and since it had the faster processor and double the RAM, and superior camera, the targeted users are more like me who will use the phone more fully. That's how you get the "Other" filled quicker. Nokia has the workaround on the 920 up and runnin and maybe working on something for the 820.

Problem is, even if the 820 gets the workaround, the 810 is STILL AT THE MERCY OF T-MOBILE BECAUSE IT IS A TRUE CARRIER VARIANT.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Problem is, even if the 820 gets the workaround, the 810 is STILL AT THE MERCY OF T-MOBILE BECAUSE IT IS A TRUE CARRIER VARIANT.

My opinion is that Microsoft needs to offer a Surface phone. Skip carriers AND manufacturers, like Apple does, and Google with the Nexus line. Even if you get a carrier-free WP, you're still at the mercy of the manufacturer. However, that's not nearly as bad as having the carrier thrown in the mix yet. I've come to the place where I'll only use an iPhone or Nexus (as my primary phone). I'm not saying I'll keep doing that forever, but for now that's where I'm at. I still grab other phones to play with if I find a good deal, such as the 521.

From what I understand, the "Other" storage issue is a WP bug. Nokia has taken it upon themselves to address the issue in the 920, but really MS should be taking care of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoresAdrowe