Two Weeks in with my Surface 3

Ragnaroktopus

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
So, I just got a 4/128 Surface 3 from work. A few days later, they decided they no longer support it in our IT dept (which seems stupid, but I'm not going to argue). So now I have a Surface 3 since they don't car what I do with it.

I'm already a Surface fan, I have a damn-near-bulletproof Surface Pro 2 that I use for most of my graphic design work and as my daily driver. I just wish I had a bigger screen for actual sketching/drawing/rendering, etc. So I installed Autodesk Sketchbook, Mischief, Adobe Suite CS6, Medibang Paint, and Manga Studio EX5. Basically everything I use to put it through the paces.

I did all the system updates, Anniversary update, etc.

Once I got used to the N-Trig pen vs the Wacom pen that I use on my SP2, I was really surprised what this little Surface that could can actually DO. Autodesk and Mischief are smooth as silk. Medibang Paint gets slower once I break 10 or so layers, but still VERY stable and usable...very little waiting for the cursor to catch up. Adobe Suite CS6 slows down about where I expected, but I'm not complaining. Manga Studio runs flawlessly until I do something "big" like fill in a whole layer or something. Overall, a GREAT experience using it for digital art and I'm sure my SP2 appreciates the break now that I'm leaving it at home more and taking the Surface 3 with me for the most part.

I saw a lot of reviews online about how it lacks any real power, and that charging takes "forever" over the micro USB. I have to say that I disagree with both! I'm bouncing back and forth between programs, the web, Netflix, trying to give it a good workout on a daily basis...and I really love it so far.

The ONLY thing is that damn Surface 3 type cover. $130. Really? Right now I'm using my Type Cover 2 on it because I'm not shelling out for the 3 type cover just yet.

Sorry for the long post.

Ragnaroktopus

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
Mostly Manga Studio and Photoshop with Spotify running in the background. It slows down a tiny bit when working on big files, but not enough for me to complain.

Ragnaroktopus

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
I was a die-hard Autodesk Sketchbook user until I tried it. I don't think there's a better program for doing digital drawings out there (but that's me).
If you want a decent idea of what it's like, but don't want to shell out $60, give Medibang Paint a shot. It's basically free Manga Studio. The performance depends on the device you use it on, though. I feel like Manga Studio gives a good performance regardless of the hardware. I had it running on a 1.5GB RAM Motion Computing tablet for years without any issues.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
My wife and I use my Surface 3 daily. Sits in my kitchen counter. I will agree with the reviews that it is under powered. Probably the reason a Surface 4 was never released.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

LouCap

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I've had my S3 since the launch, and it's a great portable solution. I was using a Mac almost exclusively before, but my 2013 Macbook Pro was a load to lug around. The S3 can handle all of my usual computer needs for work, it's tough enough to take on the road, and it's light enough to carry for an extended period of time. Admittedly, I was recently looking at uppgrading to a Pro 4 (fanless core m3), but the increase in size turned me off.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the Surface 3 128GB AT&T LTE version. I have been using the WiFi version for over a year now. I found no real problems, I didn't expect to use it heavy and load it up. The WiFI version surprised me so much, I plan to unload it and replace it with the LTE version. This way I don't have to tether, I can just move the sim card out of my Android tab to the Surface... So I will list the WiFI version for sale... Probably the LG G-Pad too..

Last edited:

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I got my wife a S3 16GB, twas was on promo with free keyboard and a office365. It's almost a year now...
She is not a tech savvy person, however she does complain about unresponsive keyboard touch issues (less so after the AU updates)
Her main usage is browsing and watching videos. Not exactly heavy user, so she's quite happy with it.

...!!

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I got my wife a S3 16GB, twas was on promo with free keyboard and a office365. It's almost a year now...
She is not a tech savvy person, however she does complain about unresponsive keyboard touch issues (less so after the AU updates)
Her main usage is browsing and watching videos. Not exactly heavy user, so she's quite happy with it.

...!!

I got that one too, but returned in in a few days, it just couldn't take what I needed to load...

Ragnaroktopus

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not my SP2 but for most of my day-to-day stuff it does just fine. Now that I'm really used to the N-trig pen (and since Manga Studio is pretty low-impact on resources) I use it for probably 95% or my linework and color flatting before transferring over to my SP2 (which I think is better than the SP3 except for screen size, but that's a whole different can of worms).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlizaForbes