What happened to wireless streaming from Surface Pro 3 to XBoxOne/a tv?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I used to be able to use the "Play to" option in the charms bar of Win8.1 to send video, audio, and picture images to my TV via DLNA or directly to my Xbox One. I am unable to figure out how to do this since updating to Win10.

The connect button in the new "charms bar" does nothing.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
So the connect button in action center is for global stuff like Miracast, Bluetooth audio, etc. For what you're talking about, DLNA Play To-type scenarios, developers will have to incorporate an in-app Cast button. You can see this in the "Movies & TV" app, and if you right click the file in Explorer. Other apps will have to be updated with the new Windows 10 APIs to do the same.

mack6866

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the response...I wish you were wrong:(

I used to use this function a lot on internet explorer and youtube. It never worked great but it was OK. I hope windows figures something out soon. This is a very important feature to me.

Do you know if Xbox One is going to be updated into a Miracast device? If I buy that new Miracast dongle will I be able to stream my surface to my TV/Xbox?

paddy_pilani

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
You don't need a Miracast dongle with xbox one. I am in Xbox One preview program. There is Desktop Casting Beta app available. I simply start that app. On my Win10 PC, select "Connect" from right side panel and select Xbox one. My PC screen is projected wirelessly on my Xbox one.
But, still no good solution for streaming audio. :(

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The removal of the play to charm is highly disappointing, hopefully apps are quickly updated with the in-app functionality.

Ask is not lost though! File explorer on the desktop had a play to feature. So you can select files in explorer and play them on your Xbox like before with DLNA. It's not ideal and only works for things you can find in explorer (so not in-app only content) but its something at least.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abigial