What phone are you using these days?

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
After the death of Windows Phone (RIP) I've bounced around all sorts of different phones. When it got to a point W10M Twitter was just crashing non-stop and third-party apps weren't plugging the gap, I ended up accepting a BlackBerry KEYone Android phone from a friend at another site in our network. I really enjoyed it, battery life was absurd, but the camera was absolutely atrocious. Eventually I ended up on Samsung's ecosystem and never looked back.

I dabbled with the Fold phones but I was always nervous about the display breaking... then lo', my display did randomly break somehow while I was asleep. Samsung repaired it for free, but I figured it was only a matter of time before it died again. As such, I've since moved back to the regular Galaxy line. I have a Galaxy S23 and love it. Great battery life, absolutely mind-blowing camera, although it's still "boring" compared to the Lumia 1520s of the world ...

Where did you peeps end up in the post-Lumia world?

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I've been on Pixel devices since the fall of BlackBerry, so I've gone through a Pixel 4XL, Pixel 6 and now Pixel 7. Still miss my KEY2 however. 😂

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Post Lumia 950XL period... yeah I still mourn for my WP..
I went firstly to a Nokia8.1, which lasted for a couple of years til I got rather excellent Vivo X50pro. The camera on it was quite good.
My current phone is a Vivo X90... so far so good... and again the camera is excellent

Ben Wilson

Staff member
Nov 6, 2021
Visit site
iPhone 11 - it isn't exactly exciting to use as a daily driver.
I have no idea what I'll buy next, can't figure out what's most important for me in a phone beside the obvious camera quality.

Folding phones seemed cool, but I can't tell if it'll disappear like a fad.
It feels like most vendors are just iterating specs each gen, and it's become a boring industry.

Reactions: Jennifer Young

Jennifer Young

Staff member
Mar 15, 2023
www.windowscentral.com
Been rocking a Samsung S21+ for a couple years now, new models are just so ludicrously expensive and don't really excite me enough to justify it. I've been tempted by a fold phone especially with Pixel now coming into the market but I think it would be too attractive to my toddler so holding out for a few years. I love the lack of bloatware with Pixel but my 3XL had awful battery life.

Reactions: Kaymd

Jonathanmr7

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
If I'm not wrong my last WP was the Alcatel with VR (that VR sucks BTW) I just keep it like 3 months because in that time they announce the death of windows phone (thankfully I had a return window of 3 months lol) after that I wanted a compact phone as I been trying all the time.

I think I got an essential phone (PH-1) and love it but had some battery issues and I hate battery runtime (hot processor) issues but I reaaaally love that device so clean and updates came so fast!

Jump into a Xiaomi MI 9 SE as it was compact and love it, last long with a custom rom and new battery after some years.

6 months ago aprox I was looking for a new compact phone and ended with a S21 brand new so cheap and as far as now I'm satisfied with it but as always I would love something more compact or with better battery life (as example the Asus zenfone 9) but that's it for now, I'm planning to keep this device for a long time or until there is a new more compact phone with good specs and not a power hungry processor.

iamJudgeCastle

Apr 29, 2023
Visit site
I started with an Galaxy S3, shifted to iPhone 6 and went to the 7+. After that, I hopped to the Android eco again with the Galaxy Note 9. After about 3 months I hated it. The waterfall display in my hand was awful and I really don't like Samsungs skin on Android, especially at that time with forced Bixby. I shifted to thePixel 3XL. Honestly one of the best phones I've ever had. Had mine til the security updates came due and then side graded to a OnePlus 7T. Literally, two months later the 8T dropped, ended up trading in my 7T to get an 8T for free. Stuck with the 8T for about a year and a half and the Pixel 6 dropped. My wife and I both made the jump. Day one owners. Excited to be back on the Pixel software. Problem was I just went into a salaried IT job so my issue became that awful P6 modem and launch software. Constant bugs were making me miss calls and notifications so I had to dump the P6.

After moving around the majority of the big players in the android space, I realized Google was the only one I genuinely enjoyed but their offering was causing me grief.

I ended up buying an iPhone 13 Mini. I love the small form factor as I work at a computer all day. I went from Windows to MacBook at work and honestly, it's never been better for me. The integration of their products is just something else. For now, I am sticking with the 13 Mini since the form factor is dead at the moment and I really don't use my phone as much as I used to.

I love Android. Pixel's version with its Google features is just amazing. I may go back one day but at the moment I’m so deep into the Apple ecosystem, there is too much value in convenience for me at this time.

We need smaller form factors. One-handed use is an underrated feature that isn't thought about anymore as specs balloon, I find diminishing value in the high-end in this regard now. Personal preference and all that.

I made an account just for Jez because he asked kindly. Hope y'all have a good weekend.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been through so many phones I can't list them all. The current stable includes a Moto Edge+ 2022, a Surface Duo and iPhone 13 Pro Max. Due to carrier shenanigans, the only WM10 I currently own that still works is the Alcatel Idol 4S. So few apps work that I can't imagine using it as a daily driver. But still it's one of the sweetest designs, the best audio I've ever had on a phone and the most atrocious camera this side of a Dell Venue Pro.

Reactions: Kaymd

Kaymd

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
This will always be a sore topic for ex-WP/WM users haha!
I use a Galaxy S21 Ultra now as my 'official' phone -- the one with my sim card. Before this, some LG phones -- LG V35, LG V40, Essential PH1. Never touched an iPhone so far.
I'm still not completely over the loss of WP/WM 😥. In fact, I still have my Lumia 950 XL as my permanent alarm clock. Terrible battery life, but it still holds up in design, functionality and smoothness. I also use it as a comic book reader with the apps Comics++ and Cover. Even use it to watch YouTube using myTube.
I also have the original Surface Duo as another permanent bedside book reader.
Now that I think about it, I suddenly miss my Lumia 1520. I'm going to resurrect it. Think it needs a new battery haha!
I keep all my old WPs though, something like a collection to show the progress we've made in mobile phones. Lumia 920, 520, 640, 1520, 950, 950XL, Alcatel Idol 4S. Add in some old time HTC WP7 phones.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
from 2017-2022 :
i have gone through 2 of the LG C-900 windows phone 7.5
i still use it for alarms and zune for music
bought them each on amazon for $40

for 2023 :
since the 3g network got switched, i had to move to windows phone 10
my daily phone is lumia 650 - got it as a present, bought a bluetooth
keyboard and cover, so i can use it for typing, since i don't like touchscreens

but i also bought a lumia 1020 for the camera - $100 and bought the camera grip also
i also have a surface duo 1, but don't use the phone features - $400

i do have a nokia pureview 9 for the camera, and work nokia phone for business
- $150

i will NOT switch to android unless forced to, since the 4g network
should be good for another 10 years or so. i will stick with windows phone.

later
|| | | | | | ||| |
ne gativ e 1

Last edited:

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I started with a Galaxy and now have a Moto Edge.
I'll get a new phone this year - maybe.
Missing from most new phone spec reporting is hi-res audio streaming which will be a big deciding factor - and the storage for offline streaming.
A second factor is optical zoom, which makes the S23 Ultra the bench mark right now for me.
I'm also interested in looking at a flip or fold - but not without optical zoom and hi-res audio.
iPhones have no interest for me.
I will never buy another Microsoft "consumer" product again. I do own a Surface Pro 9 so am not down on all things MS.

Sislik

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 950 was my last Windows Phone
natually I switched to Android phone (Nokia 8), but I hated that system so I changed platform again and I have iPhone 12 Pro Max (since its release)

I used to have phones with Windows, tablets with Windows (Surface) and computers with Windows.
No I have iPhone, iPad and Mac on my desk… (and other Apple products)

I think I would still be in Windows world if MS wouldn’t kill mobiles, but MS did, so this is the consequence… I’m event not using some many MS applications and servises as I used to.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I still have all of my Windows phones, including my beloved Lumia 830 and the 950 and 950 XL that concluded my Windows phone journey. I've been on Android ever since, starting with the LG V30. I loved LG, but after the death of its mobile phones I moved to Samsung. I had a Note 20 Ultra for two years that I loved, but I've since migrated to the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4, which is awesome. I also have a Surface Duo and a Pixel 7.

psykoaussie

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
After my Lumia 950XL, I jumped to a Samsung Galaxy S8, followed by an S10, then an Oppo A5 2020 (while I was trying to fix a software issue with the S10), and now I have a Samsung Galaxy S22+. While I'm not happy with the bloatware that Samsung puts on their phones (or the fact that the Galaxy Store tries to update apps/games installed from the Play Store, which tends to break them), I haven't found another phone manufacturer that has the same quality of hardware, that is also supported by our telcos here in Australia.

themantimeforgotx

Apr 25, 2023
Visit site
Last windows phone was the Lumia 950XL with dock. Went to the Pixel XL (128GB) directly after which was pretty good, then the Pixel 3 which was compact but 64GB of space was not enough. Jumped to the Surface Duo when it came out but as a phone it was quite awful, so I eventually settled on the Samsung Flip 3 and I absolutely love this thing. Won't ever buy a non-flip again. It fits perfectly in my pocket and folds out when I need it, ultimate portability.
Also, I still use my Surface Duo as a companion device (The purpose it was originally intended for). And this is where the device shines bright. If my 3 year old needs to watch a little mickey mouse while we 're out at a restaurant it can go straight to a video player (without sacrificing my phone). Perfect for checking emails. I bought a magnet car stand and it works great as a car infotainment screen in lieu of having a smart car (Bought a Toyota right before they wised up and realized that apple and google were here to stay in that space).

Reactions: truefluke
Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I went to an S10, then S20 FE, but the Samsung oversaturation of red in my pictures was terrible and inexcusable, so I switched to a 4a 5G, which had an awesome camera, and now a Pixel 6a, which also has an amazing camera. Every once and a while I pull out my old 950 XL...it was such a great phone! Fond memories of what could have been...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre