What's the difference between VR and AR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

Sorta playing devil's advocate here. So wanted to know what is the main differences between VR and AR? And which one is better, OR which one should I get?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
re:

VR = replaces the world
AR = supplements the world

VR is easier to do and looks better today
AR is only really in the HoloLens in a production headset. Other things like iOS devices do this with a screen too.

Both are for different uses. Eventually AR hardware will do VR too.

Best experience today is a VR headset for gaming.

Rob Phillips

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
re:

They both have their place in the world but for different reasons. AR does a great job enhancing the environment surrounding the user which brings some really practical functionality. VR, on the other hand, creates a completely new world from the ground up all around the user. One isn’t better or worse than the other in my opinion. They’re just different.

cprice27

Mar 26, 2018
Visit site
re:

To the best of my knowledge, AR is when a computer image is superimposed on object or in places in the real world. Virtual reality takes you into a completely computer generated reality and blocks out the real world. I honestly think that VR is the best of the two at the moment.

Cale Hunt

WC Staff Writer
Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
realwarder nailed it. They both cross over in many areas, but VR seems to have the "I'm cool" vibe at the moment. I've seen too many people in hardhats wearing Hololens :evil:

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
realwarder nailed it. They both cross over in many areas, but VR seems to have the "I'm cool" vibe at the moment. I've seen too many people in hardhats wearing Hololens :evil:

Of course Apple seems to be in the AR camp, so you know what THAT means. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayDreamingPHd