Why did my Surface Book 2 stop turning on after last windows update?

anseld1986

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I left my Surface Book 2 on overnight to install a windows update over the weekend (unfortunately, I don't know which one it was). The next day when I tried to use it, it wouldn't turn on. I have tried using both the power cord and the Surface Dock to charge it and it appears to charge correctly (the white light on the cord turns on with both power sources). The Surface Book also seems to have some functionality, as when I press the screen release button on the keyboard, it turns green and disconnects the screen, which can then be removed and/or reconnected to the keyboard. However, I cannot get the computer to actually turn on (no fan and no screen/backlight). I have tried power cycling the device (holding power button down), soft resetting the device (power button and volume up) as well as tried to use a USB recovery drive. Nothing happens with any of those options. When connected to my Surface Dock, the monitor never recognizes a signal.
I went to the Microsoft Support website and understand that since my Surface Book 2 is out of warranty one option is to send it back for a replacement device for $599. Before doing that, I’m trying to find out what other options there are, as this appears to be a result of the windows update that was supposed to be installed rather than a failing hardware problem.
I've tried to reach out to Microsoft, but since I'm out of warranty, all of the support website options simply send me to the "replace your device" option after trying the power button/volume button options - there doesn't seem to be any way to get any other assistance with troubleshooting.
Any other ideas?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I left my Surface Book 2 on overnight to install a windows update over the weekend (unfortunately, I don't know which one it was). The next day when I tried to use it, it wouldn't turn on. I have tried using both the power cord and the Surface Dock to charge it and it appears to charge correctly (the white light on the cord turns on with both power sources). The Surface Book also seems to have some functionality, as when I press the screen release button on the keyboard, it turns green and disconnects the screen, which can then be removed and/or reconnected to the keyboard. However, I cannot get the computer to actually turn on (no fan and no screen/backlight). I have tried power cycling the device (holding power button down), soft resetting the device (power button and volume up) as well as tried to use a USB recovery drive. Nothing happens with any of those options. When connected to my Surface Dock, the monitor never recognizes a signal.
I went to the Microsoft Support website and understand that since my Surface Book 2 is out of warranty one option is to send it back for a replacement device for $599. Before doing that, I’m trying to find out what other options there are, as this appears to be a result of the windows update that was supposed to be installed rather than a failing hardware problem.
I've tried to reach out to Microsoft, but since I'm out of warranty, all of the support website options simply send me to the "replace your device" option after trying the power button/volume button options - there doesn't seem to be any way to get any other assistance with troubleshooting.
Any other ideas?

Contact Microsoft via Live chat, explain that this occurred after a windows update.

Given the issue occurred after a Windows update, the onus is on Microsoft to remedy not you :winktongue:.

This is not the first time a Windows update has made a mess of their own hardware.

Microsoft seriously needs to re-hire the QA team and programmatic testers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss