Why do I have such high data usage in Win10

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I have a dumb question about data usage settings.

When I go to "Settings/Network & Wireless/Data usage", there's the setting which says "Use cellular data if there's no internet access over Wi-Fi. This will use your data plan and may incur charges." The button options are either "Don't Allow" or "Allow".

When I look at the current setting for "Don't Allow", underneath it says "When Wi-Fi connectivity is limited, your phone will prevent most apps and features from using cellular data. You may not be able to send or receive data."

My question is whether the button saying "Don't Allow" indicates that the current setting DOES allow for cellular data? I'm wondering if the button text is indicating current or a potential changed setting if it is pressed. It seems confusing to me, but it is early in the morning.

UPDATE: I'm sure I understand now, that the button text indicates the potential setting, not the current one, because when it says "Allow" and I press it, a dialog comes up warning me that the device will automatically use cellular data if there's no access to Wi-Fi. What tripped me up was the text underneath the "Don't Allow" which says " . . . your phone will prevent most apps and features from using cellular data . . ."

Please carry on.

ShannyMan

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a dumb question about data usage settings.

When I go to "Settings/Network & Wireless/Data usage", there's the setting which says "Use cellular data if there's no internet access over Wi-Fi. This will use your data plan and may incur charges." The button options are either "Don't Allow" or "Allow".

When I look at the current setting for "Don't Allow", underneath it says "When Wi-Fi connectivity is limited, your phone will prevent most apps and features from using cellular data. You may not be able to send or receive data."

My question is whether the button saying "Don't Allow" indicates that the current setting DOES allow for cellular data? I'm wondering if the button text is indicating current or a potential changed setting if it is pressed. It seems confusing to me, but it is early in the morning.

UPDATE: I'm sure I understand now, that the button text indicates the potential setting, not the current one, because when it says "Allow" and I press it, a dialog comes up warning me that the device will automatically use cellular data if there's no access to Wi-Fi. What tripped me up was the text underneath the "Don't Allow" which says " . . . your phone will prevent most apps and features from using cellular data . . ."

Please carry on.

Yes, that's my understanding too. I also believe that this setting only applies when you're on WiFi, and your internet connection takes a dump. I don't think this actually does anything different when you're only on a cellular connection. To restrict that, I think you need to actually turn off Cellular Data.

My system data usage is still holding steady with no changes since turning off Feedback/Diagnostics.

sutt359

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Looks like I've sorted mine after nearly a week. It was down to my exchange account, no longer is the data being constantly. The battery is at 58% and survived a working day when I look it off charge 7:30 this morning being about 9h ago.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria