Why is my screen shutting off?!?

BassSoLow

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased my Surface Laptop 3.

When I watch Netflix or Hulu and try to lower the brightness to the lowest level, the screen just shuts off. Then using the key to turn brightness up it does not work. The screen just stays black. You can still hear Netflix, just can't see it. The only way to turn the screen back on is to hit the power button and unlock the device.

This does not happen on my the Surface Laptop 2 we have in the house either.

Can someone launch one or both of these apps on their 3 and lower the brightness all the way and see if your screen shuts off?

Has anyone else had this issue or do I have a lemon?

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Is it happening on AC power and on battery or only one of them? There are different default power settings for each so if it's only happening on battery, try setting it to better or best performance. Also check to make sure drivers are up to date. You can download them here for AMD and here for Intel. Then I'd call support, and maybe take it to a MS store if there's one nearby, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time troubleshooting. Just return it since you purchased it recently.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
As @spicypadthai has said, what power plan are you using? Does this happen when you watch something using any other app, e.g. VLC Media Player? Is the Netflix app up to date? Are you accessing Netflix from their site or the Store app? And make sure your drivers are up to date too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster