Why is there such a difference with a clean install of win 10 vs one where I keep apps?

W

WPCentral Question

Ok, this is kinda wordy, so stay with me. I did a clean install on one win 7 pc, and an install that kept my applications on another win 7 machine. On the clean install, in the programs and features section of control panel, all that is listed is the touchpad and realtek audio software. On the other pc, everything is still listed, including many updates from M$. These updates are internal updates from M$, not particularly updates for any attached hardware or software I installed (e.g. Microsoft .net framework 4 client profile, kbxxxxxxx, etc). Sooo, I am wondering why those updates would still be in there for windows 10. Is it:
1. files that will be loaded eventually on the clean install pc, and they may be hidden or they may show up in the list.
2. files that do not need to be on the 2nd pc, perhaps should not be. If they are uninstalled from that pc, will windows install them again, hidden or not?

I do not see the logic in this sort of discrepancy.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok, this is kinda wordy, so stay with me. I did a clean install on one win 7 pc, and an install that kept my applications on another win 7 machine. On the clean install, in the programs and features section of control panel, all that is listed is the touchpad and realtek audio software. On the other pc, everything is still listed, including many updates from M$. These updates are internal updates from M$, not particularly updates for any attached hardware or software I installed (e.g. Microsoft .net framework 4 client profile, kbxxxxxxx, etc). Sooo, I am wondering why those updates would still be in there for windows 10. Is it:
1. files that will be loaded eventually on the clean install pc, and they may be hidden or they may show up in the list.
2. files that do not need to be on the 2nd pc, perhaps should not be. If they are uninstalled from that pc, will windows install them again, hidden or not?

I do not see the logic in this sort of discrepancy.

But they are in fact updates for hardware and/or software you've installed. For example, many games and applications require the .net framework software being installed to work. So being that you've chosen to keep your apps etc on that PC, you're also keeping all the associated updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett