Why Microsoft won't be the company to mainstream generative A.I.

Cmndr_Bytes

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
This is what's bothered me about MS in the last decade+. They see the future. They build for the future. They give up before they see the fruits of their vision.
Think about Kinect. It was great and fun not only as a gaming platform but as an optional exercise package it was amazing! I used it most every day for games and exercise (honestly gaming with it became exercise) Think about what Peloton and The Mirror did for the exercise industry. There was so much they could have developed in that area. Maybe sold extra subscriptions for live coaches. (?)
Cortana was really good when first released. So much better than Siri and Alexa, but they just kept dumbing her down and now, here we are with AI, when it could really take off and set itself apart from the others it can't be done because MS gave up on it too soon.
Imagine a miniature holographic device of Cortana connected to AI. Or Cortana up in the corner of your Hololens. Oh yeah...Hololens.... *sigh*

Iamdumbguy

Jun 30, 2023
Visit site
Good article.
For OpenAI, isn't this just about free dumb money? And is there a better source of free dumb money than Microsoft? A few years ago, it might have been Facebook. I think we're seeing what all this "data" is really worth--not much--unless interest rates are literally zero.

What I would like to see is an in-depth reporting on the creation of Azure. It seems to be the only big business for Microsoft that they didn't simply just buy their way into (or maybe I'm wrong about this).

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Others have already said this, MS will go the way of IBM. No devices or apps that are consumer focused. I'll keep using Word and Excel, but am currently moving to Google for search, browser, contacts, calendar, email, etc. I would no longer be surprised to see them abandoning all Surface products.

taynjack

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
All those profits that Satya has saved from the brink of Windows phone and Cortana will sure pay off when Bingchatgpt is once again sidelined like so many other Microsoft projects. OpenAI can join the ranks of Nokia, HP, Ford and Harmon Kardon who all got burned by partnering with Microsoft. Microsoft lives so far into the future, they can't see straight when the present arrives.

Iamdumbguy

Jun 30, 2023
Visit site
All those profits that Satya has saved from the brink of Windows phone and Cortana will sure pay off when Bingchatgpt is once again sidelined like so many other Microsoft projects. OpenAI can join the ranks of Nokia, HP, Ford and Harmon Kardon who all got burned by partnering with Microsoft. Microsoft lives so far into the future, they can't see straight when the present arrives.
You have to wonder what the goals actually are. Like Mixer: what was the point.?They dropped tens of millions of dollars on one streamer and expected to do what? Take over Twitch? They seem content enough to eke out profits on Bing and that's taken forever. Everything else they just drop when it's not instantly a billion dollar business.

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
Because people love to hate Microsoft. That's why they always fail.
More like Microsoft loves to hate their biggest fans, particularly consumers.
People love to hate Microsoft because the competitors that they do love know how to cater to them (the consumers), which in return gets businesses to adopt more.

Microsoft keeps forgetting that businesses are made up of consumers. When they started to put too much focus on enterprise a few years ago, that's when the competitors were able to thrive and grab many of their userbase. The annoying thing is Microsoft is aware of this, they said themselves a few years back they want Microsoft to be a company people 'love and choose' to use instead of 'have' to use, but it's 2023 and it's still not happening because they seem to have no touch of what users want despite having such a rich Feedback Hub.

Reactions: Cosmocronos

Cosmocronos

Oct 9, 2019
Visit site
More like Microsoft loves to hate their biggest fans, particularly consumers.
People love to hate Microsoft because the competitors that they do love know how to cater to them (the consumers), which in return gets businesses to adopt more.

Microsoft keeps forgetting that businesses are made up of consumers. When they started to put too much focus on enterprise a few years ago, that's when the competitors were able to thrive and grab many of their userbase. The annoying thing is Microsoft is aware of this, they said themselves a few years back they want Microsoft to be a company people 'love and choose' to use instead of 'have' to use, but it's 2023 and it's still not happening because they seem to have no touch of what users want despite having such a rich Feedback Hub.
Indeed! MS should remember than the reason the company has becomes what it is now is because they went after consumers; they defeated Borland, Lotus, WordPerfect and Wordstar because people started using Windows at home therefore pushed adoption of the OS in the offices and those “business”, “productivity” software ran best on Windows.

Reactions: Arun Topez