Why my Lumia 950XL unable to detect microsd card?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Windows Central Question

i just bought Lumia 950XL. unfortunately, my device unable to detect my micro sd card. I have tried several other micro sd card that working well from other devices, but the result still the same. I have tried reformating the device, start the device without sim card, the outcome remain the same. Is it the device is having problem with it card slot?

Awaiting experts advice. Thank you.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding due to the way you have worded it.

You seem to be saying that you have tried other SD cards in your phone that work fine, but the one you already had does not work. Is it just the one microSD card that does not work in your new phone? It could be a bad card.

Do ANY sd cards work in your phone? If so, then it's not a defective phone. It could be that the sd card was encrypted on the last device used and the phone isn't able to recognize or refusing to recognize it due to DRM issues. Not sure, really. You may have to backup the info on the card to a PC, format it, then restore the information to get it recognized.

Or did you mean that the card works fine in other phones, but not in yours? That's where I'm confused. If this is the case, then there is a possibility that the sd slot in the phone is defective. Make sure other SD cards also don't work if you can before taking it in for repair or replacement under warranty.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi... Thanks for your reply. Sorry about the way I wrote it make you confusing. The issue is I have tried to use several micro sd card to my new Lumia 950XL but it doesn't recognized it (did not detect it at all). Those micro SD card work well with my laptop and my android device. Thank you. rgds, Hizal :unhappysweat:

Okay, I got that PM from you. We really need to keep it in the thread, though, so that it can help other people that may have the same issue.

I really don't have a definite answer for that one. It is possible that the card isn't being seated properly in the slot. It is also possible the card slot is defective. It is also possible that you'll have to go through what some others have gone through to get it working.

I have heard from a few people who stated they had this problem, and they did a hard reset on their phone, wiping all the data in the process. However, after the hard reset, it began working just fine. However, be warned that this did NOT work for EVERYone who had this issue, only for some. It may or may not work for you.

I really don't have any further suggestions at this point, so perhaps someone else may stop by and assist.

ahu1

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
My Sandisk 16 GB MicroSDHC card has stopped working, presumably after the firmware update. The card WAS working perfectly before, and still works with my PCs. I've tried everything: remounting, soft reset, hard reset, formatting as exFAT, FAT32 & NTFS. Nothing works, the card's just not showing anymore.

I haven't yet tried other cards, but this doesn't look good. Could this be related to the MICROSOFTMDG firmware update (or the .29 OS software I got just before that)? Either that or phone hardware problem.

Pashka Sokol

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
i just bought Lumia 950XL. unfortunately, my device unable to detect my micro sd card. I have tried several other micro sd card that working well from other devices, but the result still the same. I have tried reformating the device, start the device without sim card, the outcome remain the same. Is it the device is having problem with it card slot?

Awaiting experts advice. Thank you.

David Carrera

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
It's been this way for a few builds, but I believe it's just the storage app that doesn't see it until you restart the phone with the SD card inside, you can pull it out and put it back in and file explorer will see it, you'll have to change the view to internal storage and back to sd card to see the contents as it wont automatically refresh once the card is inserted.

Pashka Sokol

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys! Maybe someone isn't busy at the this time and may explain me step by step, how can I format micro SD? Or, maybe you have another way, more easier way to resolve this a BIG problem? :) I have two sd memory card: SanDisk 200GB and Lexar 633x 200GB. No one works on my Lumia 950XL! A lot of thanks for your time and your attention. Kind regards.

David Carrera

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys! Maybe someone isn't busy at the this time and may explain me step by step, how can I format micro SD? Or, maybe you have another way, more easier way to resolve this a BIG problem? :) I have two sd memory card: SanDisk 200GB and Lexar 633x 200GB. No one works on my Lumia 950XL! A lot of thanks for your time and your attention. Kind regards.

Did you try and reboot your phone with the SDcard inside the phone? This problem seems more of an issue with the storage app, for me, file explorer will see the SD card when taking out and putting it back in. I can physically remove the SDcard without first safely removing it from the storage app and then re-inserting the SDcard - the storage app will then recognize the SDcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evan.mason5724