why no notification light in wp

W

WPCentral Question

so most mobiles have a notification light.?

windows 8.1 doesnt have it? i can see glance screeen does work fine but without an constant on screeen and no touching involved the notifications light is the best option

my 720 has light avilable in the touch keys, so why not make them glow for a notification

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Some mobile phones have notification lights, many do not.

WP 8.1 is supposed to have a new interface to support a notification light, but no OEM has, as yet, provided the firmware/hardware combination necessary to use it. This may change in time - or not.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Every high-end Android has such a led.
Many midrange Android have it too.
People use it and think it's a great and basic feature.

NO windows phone has one, only MS and Nokia know why...
Maybe they need to save those 5$ on the hardware...

But people here will tell you it's a useless feature nobody uses and only a few Android phones have one, they will also tell you iPhone has no led notifications but that's not true.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
they will also tell you iPhone has no led notifications but that's not true.

Yes, the iPhone has the option to use the camera LED for notifications. It's off by default, though. I've never heard of anyone turning it on, but of course I've never done a proper survey. I'm not sure how many iPhone users know about it - my family (4 iPhones) certainly doesn't. Maybe I should mention it... ;)

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
A notification light destroys having to constantly wave your hand over your phone to see any possible missed notifications. Wanna be different no problem, wanna be too different big assed problem where many aren't buying YOUR product simply because you didn't put this or that in your OS/hardware. Sometimes the little things make a big difference. A notification center may seem like WP live tiles all in one area to us WP users but to many not having it was/is a big turn off because it beats having to scroll your entire phone to see exactly which tile has the notice on it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've used the blinky and find the set up interminable and the distinguishing between certain colors unmanageable and the rote memorization of what color means which to be a huge drag...

Glance FTW. Always on and the phone in my pocket or face down on a surface keeps it from being truly on at all times, yet a quick "Glance" at it shows me everything I need in a clear format with no waving my hands about.

Sophisticated adults have graduated beyond the need for a blinky. :winktongue:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750