Why the wait?

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I read on a lot of these about people waiting for something better to come along before they upgrade their phone, I can understand that if you like the phone you have, and not wanting to change phones, but it is the ones who think the next phone that is released is going to be better than what is out there now. If that's true and the next one is better, you will never upgrade, you will always be waiting for something better. Define better for me ? I mean really, there is some pretty amazing phones out there right now, What is it that you want your phone to do that today's phones will not do ? Or is it that you just want to be able to say you have the latest and greatest. From the cheapest smart phone to the most expensive they all do pretty much the same thing, some are faster and have more storage but other than that you have Apple, Android, Windows and Blackberry that all do the same thing in different ways and they do come out with updates, but most updates are really just a new paint job and new stereo . So really I would like to know, What do you really think you are waiting for? what is going to be so game changing in the next new phone and how do you know the phone after that won't even be better and worth the wait for it, Oh oh , but the the one after that is sure to be the best...............

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Well I waited for long as I could but I eventually had to move to Android to get what I wanted.

I think the thing you're missing is that people want to stay on WP with preferably a better phone. What's out now, doesn't suit everyone and that's the issue. The thing for me was that the L930 just didn't match what I wanted out of a better phone. If battery wasn't such an issue for me, sure it would have been OK but that was the killer for me. Then add the fact it lacks Glance and it just seemed like the same old same old Nokia sub standard flagship.

I was willing to wait but my battery on the L920 got so bad to the point I needed something new so I switched. I'm happy I did. I got the phone that works for me.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Everybody has their own definition of what is considered as "better" for them :) Some want smaller screens, but with latest SoC, some want expandable storage, some want glance screen.. All of us have our own preferences for future phones.. So you won't get a simple answer when asking what everyone considers to be "better". The fact that we're willing to wait is a compliment! Because even on the older phones WP 8.1 still runs smoothly and hopefully WP10 will too

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe because there is no phone out there that meets the standards that the consumer wants. For example, I planned on not even getting the Icon (ended up getting one via a trade anyway) because I wanted a phone that had better battery life. Do I like the phone and it is great? Yes, but I want something that will last me through a day no matter what. It's not always about waiting for something game changing. Maybe it is. Who knows. That's up to the consumer to decide regardless and no one needs to swoop in and lecture them to not wait for the "next big thing". If there's something that fits their needs on the market, then they buy it. If there's not, then they might wait it out. Either way, that's their decision, and there's nothing wrong with it either way.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The wait might be due to one's carrier not offering a device that is better and meets one's needs. For example, I could upgrade to the 1520, but it's too big for me. The 930 isn't available for AT&T. The only device that would be worthwhile upgrading to for me would be the 1520, but the size is a turn-off to me.

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
...Because even on the older phones WP 8.1 still runs smoothly and hopefully WP10 will too
You do realise that everyone will start moaning when WP10 appears that their phones are slower?!

PS Unless I'm mistaken, congratulations on your new Ambassadorship :D

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much everything I would say has already been mentioned, but I think there's also the rumor mill to blame. Device X should be released mid-2015 and will have these new features... "Ooh, look at how much shinier it is than my Device V and recently released Device W!" and they wait for it and buy it when it comes out, before the rumors of Device Y really start popping up, temporarily interrupting the vicious cycle.

I was almost caught up in this perpetual waiting, too, with the (few reasonable) rumors of a 1020 successor. My 920 is dying (battery, and some other issues that couldn't be solved with a hard reset) and I was thinking I'd wait until the first batch of W10 phones comes out. I kinda realized what you're bringing up, OP, along with the fact that my 920 simply might not make it that long and decided to just get something now.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
You do realise that everyone will start moaning when WP10 appears that their phones are slower?!

PS Unless I'm mistaken, congratulations on your new Ambassadorship :D

Haha yes I do realize that... And therefore the release date is marked on my calendar as "Judgement Day for MS" (Dramatic huh?) :winktongue:

And thank you :grin:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much everything I would say has already been mentioned, but I think there's also the rumor mill to blame. Device X should be released mid-2015 and will have these new features... "Ooh, look at how much shinier it is than my Device V and recently released Device W!" and they wait for it and buy it when it comes out, before the rumors of Device Y really start popping up, temporarily interrupting the vicious cycle.

I was almost caught up in this perpetual waiting, too, with the (few reasonable) rumors of a 1020 successor. My 920 is dying (battery, and some other issues that couldn't be solved with a hard reset) and I was thinking I'd wait until the first batch of W10 phones comes out. I kinda realized what you're bringing up, OP, along with the fact that my 920 simply might not make it that long and decided to just get something now.

SAme thing happened to me, but with a 925.. I loved the 9xx line so much that I only considered the 930 and the 920 as my only viable options :p Eventually I went with the 920, because for me the price for the unlocked 930 demands that I keep it for at least two years, but I wanted to keep my options open so the 920 is fine for now

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vichuz121