Windows 10 build 16188 discussion (Redstone 3, Fast)

thurask

May 11, 2013
Visit site
WC: https://www.windowscentral.com/wind...and-mobile-build-15210-now-available-insiders
MS: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...er-preview-build-16188-pc-build-15210-mobile/

NOTE: This build is not yet available for Windows Insiders on Windows 10 Enterprise Insider Preview builds in these languages: AR-SA, DA-DK, EN-GB, ES-MX, FI-FI, FR-CA, NB-NO, and TH-TH.

New on PC:
  • Awesome new features in Microsoft Edge's PDF Reader: In addition to addressing a lot of Insider feedback on PDF functionality in Microsoft Edge, this build is also packed with a bunch of new features for reading PDFs in Microsoft Edge that we want you to check out. Here is the description of the features to look out for:
  • PDF Form filling: Every now and then we encounter forms to be filled which are in PDF format. Now you can fill in PDF based forms within Microsoft Edge, save them and print them!
  • PDF Annotations: The annotations capability in the browser is now extended to PDFs as well. You can use the "Make a Web Note" button on the top right of browser frame to invoke an annotations bar.
  • Table of Contents for easier navigation: For reading longer documents, you can now use the Table of Contents (ToC) feature for easier navigation. You will see the ToC button on the left of the PDF toolbar if the document has ToC defined by the author. Click on any heading in the side pane to navigate to that part of the document.
  • Better viewing and navigation: Sometimes PDF documents, such as documents that are copies of documents scanned in, are not in proper orientation and need to be rotated to view them properly. Now you can rotate the PDF documents for better readability. Look for the rotate button in the toolbar. Also, it is important to be able to adjust the reading layout of the files to best suit user's needs based on the screen size, type etc. Using the "Layout" flyout menu on the toolbar, now you can switch from one page to two page layouts and change to page-wise scrolling for better navigation experience for longer documents.
  • Windows Defender Application Guard: Announced last September in the Microsoft Edge Blog, Windows Defender Application Guard for Microsoft Edge is now available in Windows Insider Previews for Enterprise users in the Fast Ring. - - Microsoft Edge running in Application Guard provides enterprises the maximum level of protection from malware and zero day attacks against Windows.
  • Ninjacat Icon for Windows Insider Program in Settings: Check out the new Ninjacat icon representing the Windows Insider Program under Settings > Update & security > Windows Insider Program.
  • Cortana's settings have been integrated into Settings: Cortana is a core component of Windows and users look to the Settings app to find Cortana's settings. We've heard your feedback about discoverability, and with this build, we've made the change to migrate all of Cortana's settings into Settings. You can access them by clicking the settings gear in Cortana, going to Settings > Cortana, or just searching for the setting you're interested in.
  • A reimagined Magnifier Settings page: In order to improve the experience both for low vision users, as well as casual Magnifier users who use it for presentations or quick zooming, we've updated the Magnifier Settings page. Insiders will notice that the page has not only been redesigned, but also comes with a few new features
  • Improving your update experience: We've heard your feedback, and with Build 16188 we've replaced the previous modal Windows Update dialog with a new interactive toast notification so you can easily be aware of an available update without it interrupting your work. Try it out next time you get an update, and as always, please share your feedback!

Fixed on PC:
  • We’ve fixed an issue resulting in the candidate window not appearing when typing in certain apps when using Simplified Chinese IMEs or the Changjie and Quick IMEs
  • We fixed an issue where explorer.exe would crash and restart if you tapped any of the apps listed in the Windows Ink Workspace’s Recent Apps section.
  • Double-clicking the Windows Defender Security Center icon in the notification area will now open Windows Defender Security Center.
  • Universal dismiss of Cortana reminders is now enabled across Windows devices on this build or higher. To learn more about universal dismiss and how apps can enable it check out our blog post here.
  • Localized apps on localized x64 Windows 10 Insider Preview builds will now work. We believe this will also address the issue some Insiders were reporting where the Open and Save dialogs weren’t opening in certain desktop (Win32) apps.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in decreased Action Center reliability in recent flights.
  • We fixed an issue with the Chinese Pinyin IME where typing a sequence of characters beginning with ‘hu’ into certain apps would result in an unexpected delay before the candidate window updated to reflect the current composition.

Broken on PC:

• PC Reset via Settings > Update & security > Recovery will not work on non-English Insider Preview builds.
  • Some Insiders have reported seeing this error “Some updates were cancelled. We’ll keep trying in case new updates become available” in Windows Update. See this forum post for more details.
  • Surface 3 devices fail to update to new builds if a SD memory card is inserted. The updated drivers for the Surface 3 that fix this issue have not yet been published to Windows Update.
  • Navigating to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update may crash Settings app. You can simply re-open the Settings app again and it should work again.
  • Navigating to Settings > Personalization > Lock screen may crash Settings app.
  • Outlook 2016 may hang on launch due to an issue where the spam filter gets stuck reading the Outlook Data File and the UI waits indefinitely for it to return. We're investigating.
  • Your PC may hang when shutting down the PC.
  • In certain cases, Start may fail to launch but launches normally on the second try.

This build and version is the latest Redstone 3 build in testing for Desktop Insiders on the Fast Ring.

Issues? Bugs? Solutions? For all things Windows 10 build 16188, discuss it here.

[TIP]Basic tip

If you're having any issues with your device, try a reset.

Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Reset this PC > This provides you with two options: 1. keep my files and 2. remove everything[/TIP]

[TIP]Keep my files

Does just as its name describes. If you choose the setting you can reinstall Windows 10 without having to back up any of the pictures, videos, music and documents that you have stored on it. You absolutely should back up these things just in case, but you shouldn’t need to use that back up. Keep My Files requires a certain amount of free space on your device. As such, it may be unavailable to you if your device is stuffed with a lot of files. If you get an error message asking for more storage when you choose this option you’ll need to back up your files and choose the remove everything option. You could also delete any files that you aren’t using on your device and try the option again. This option will take longer than the other options.[/TIP]

[TIP]Remove Everything

Deletes every file, every setting from your device and gives you a blank copy of Windows 10 to work with. You’ll need to add any files you have backed up to your device again [/TIP]

Last edited:

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Well, my SP2 took it fine, I have not put it on my daily lenovo yet though, I'll stick to the creator's update release on that, but this one is OK for me, to even clear previously installed OS.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Well, my SP2 took it fine, I have not put it on my daily lenovo yet though, I'll stick to the creator's update release on that, but this one is OK for me, to even clear previously installed OS.
@zocster, please give a update in a couple of days (or after you've had a chance to put a few miles on this new build), I would like to jump back in but my first experience with RS3 render a useless Surface Pro - way too many bugs.

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
@zocster, please give a update in a couple of days (or after you've had a chance to put a few miles on this new build), I would like to jump back in but my first experience with RS3 render a useless Surface Pro - way too many bugs.

What are the things you are concerned of? So far so good here, my end.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
What are the things you are concerned of? So far so good here, my end.

Back on build 16170, I had issues with Scrolling (very labored movement), Edge (stuck on intro page), Apps not opening, just to name some of the issues I can remember:)

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Back on build 16170, I had issues with Scrolling (very labored movement), Edge (stuck on intro page), Apps not opening, just to name some of the issues I can remember:)

Definitely not as smooth as release builds, but not a show stopper by any means. Apps are opening fine, I'm torrenting, plexing, telegramming, whatsapping, and slacking with no issue.

tpesa

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
My imap account in the mail app will not sync on this build. Had to delete the account and re add it. Still just shows no mail and constant sync attempt

Kingofocean

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
The only issue I am having with this build is with the Settings. I can no longer access to any settings since the Settings App crash as soon as I open it. I can no longer check for updates, I can't even change my screen display etc everything that is accessable via the Settings "App" is no longer openable for me. I can't even reset my PCs...
I am having this issue on my main desktop pc and my Surface Book.
Nobody is having this issue? I mean, I have that on all my computers that are in Insider mode, it's not just related to just one.
All I am waiting for is a new build and hoping my PCs will automatically download them and ask me to install them.
Sorry if typos and mistakes, I'm french ;)

Kingofocean

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Perfect, they seem to have fix this problem with the new build. However, I am still not able to download it since I can't access Windows Update.
I know my pc should download it on background, haven't done it so yet, hope it comes soon ^^'
Thanks for the news ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb