Windows 11 Pro Upgrade Re-Install

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone had some advice on what I can do here. I just had MS Support chat nuke my system for nothing and I'm left in the rubble. In a nut shell, I purchase via MS Store the Windows 11 Pro upfgrade for $99 on my Surface Laptop Studio. I damaged that device and made a warranty claim. They sent me a replacement with WIn 11 Home. I was trying to setup Pro and it wants me to purchase again. I understand wy because the digital license doesnt match the machine.

Support advised me to download the media creation tool and unchceck keep settings for this machine. Get into the sources folder and run setup and choose custom option. I've done that, and Im stuck with Home yet. Is there any way to get my purchased upgrade on to the other machine? And yes, I am signed into my MS account that I used to purchase it.

I even provided support guy the date and order number of it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
What type of Windows license do you have, OEM or retail? A retail Windows license is needed to install Windows and activate it on different hardware. An OEM license can only be installed and activated on a single motherboard.

If the broken device had an OEM Windows license, then you must purchase a new upgrade license for Windows 11 Pro for the new device. If the broken device had a retail Windows license, then you will be able to install the Windows 11 Pro upgrade by using the key from your broken device.

Last edited:

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What type of Windows license do you have, OEM or retail? A retail Windows license is needed to install Windows and activate it on different hardware. An OEM license can only be installed and activated on a single motherboard.

If the broken device had an OEM Windows license, then you must purchase a new upgrade license for Windows 11 Pro for the new device. If the broken device had a retail Windows license, then you will be able to install the Windows 11 Pro upgrade by using the key from your broken device.
Hi & thank you Laura. I am going to assume its OEM license as I purchased everything direct via MS. I pre-ordered the i7-500GB Surface Laptop Studio and it was delivered Day One. First time I ever "splurged" on a high end device. I used the MS Store and purchased the Pro License for $99. The MS "tech" said "Congrats, you have life time subscription". This sounded "off" but, I dunno. I was so glad I purchased the 3 yr warranty (Accidental Damage included). So yeah, the refurb came a week later with Home on it and was trying to get it back on.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi & thank you Laura. I am going to assume its OEM license as I purchased everything direct via MS. I pre-ordered the i7-500GB Surface Laptop Studio and it was delivered Day One. First time I ever "splurged" on a high end device. I used the MS Store and purchased the Pro License for $99. The MS "tech" said "Congrats, you have life time subscription". This sounded "off" but, I dunno. I was so glad I purchased the 3 yr warranty (Accidental Damage included). So yeah, the refurb came a week later with Home on it and was trying to get it back on.

Lifetime subscription sounds odd. However, you probably should contact Microsoft and ask to escalate to a supervisor, since you had the device replaced under warranty. Therefore, you should be able to get the Pro version of Windows 11 without an additional fee.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone had some advice on what I can do here. I just had MS Support chat nuke my system for nothing and I'm left in the rubble. In a nut shell, I purchase via MS Store the Windows 11 Pro upfgrade for $99 on my Surface Laptop Studio. I damaged that device and made a warranty claim. They sent me a replacement with WIn 11 Home. I was trying to setup Pro and it wants me to purchase again. I understand wy because the digital license doesnt match the machine.

Support advised me to download the media creation tool and unchceck keep settings for this machine. Get into the sources folder and run setup and choose custom option. I've done that, and Im stuck with Home yet. Is there any way to get my purchased upgrade on to the other machine? And yes, I am signed into my MS account that I used to purchase it.

I even provided support guy the date and order number of it.
You need to tell them to switch that license over to your new computer. I had this happen with my daughter's Surface Go Laptop. It came with Windows 11 Home. I upgraded to Pro. However, I had to do a warranty replacement. When I received her new one, it had Home on it. I called and spent about 45 minutes with them. After explaining I had already owned a Windows 11 Pro license on the original, they switched the license over to the replacement. It was a PITA, but they did it. You may have to explain it to them a couple times. Some tier 1 tech support people are a bit slow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital