Windows 11's new AI Copilot is too slow to be useful

Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Zac, I saw your article and rather than read it I asked CoPilot to summarize it. It did so in about 5 seconds. That wasn't too slow for my liking. I'm guessing it will get faster but is it really intended to be used for simple web searches?

Reactions: Sodium Man

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. I got the release candidate and tried it twice. What a waste. No voice integration? I dont want to type commands. Where's JARVIS?

Reactions: Arun Topez

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
Totally agree with you, Zac! Cortana was way faster. Ask Copilot to open an app and it takes forever to even process that request and then you have to manually open it, and no voice prompts? For certain complex situations it makes sense, but Microsoft's implementation, especially in Windows, is just mediocore. Even if Microsoft improves it, the first impression is already ruined, which Microsoft has a habit of doing with certain products. They should have waited until it was mature and fast enough before releasing it. There was so much opportunity and fun they could have made with this, especially with the amount of investments they put in, but of course they never learn.

RIP Cortana and Clippy (and eventually Copilot) - lol I just realized they all start with 'C'

• Sad
Reactions: Sodium Man

Sodium Man

Sep 30, 2023
Visit site
Zac, that is not the purpose of the Windows Copilot. You can always use voice access in Windows 11 to open apps with your voice, which is quite fast, just like Cortana. And of course Windows Copilot is not for basic web searches. It is more of an AI chatbot. So you should only use it for that kind of tasks. In short, Voice Access + Windows Copilot = Cortana (but better).

Sodium Man

Sep 30, 2023
Visit site
Totally agree with you, Zac! Cortana was way faster. Ask Copilot to open an app and it takes forever to even process that request and then you have to manually open it, and no voice prompts? For certain complex situations it makes sense, but Microsoft's implementation, especially in Windows, is just mediocre.
You can always use voice access in Windows 11 to open apps with your voice, which is quite fast, just like Cortana.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
RIP Cortana and Clippy (and eventually Copilot) - lol I just realized they all start with 'C'
Lol that is kind of funny.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to believe that copilot will either be deprecated in a few years, or radically changed from its originally implementation.

I'm having a hard time describing what I'm talking about so let me see if I can make a comparison instead.

How often do you use a hammer?

Professional carpenters use hammers all the time. An amateur handyman will need it a few times a year. Then there's the last category, which is everyone else. The people that use a hammer so infrequently that they have to think about where their hammer is at.

Microsoft is looking for carpenters, but they're getting everyone else.

Copilot hasn't made a case why it's going to be different than Cortana or other voice assistants. They all have the same problem, which is your average person don't want or need a hammer everyday, and they don't need AI to write letters or turn on dark mode.

If people aren't thinking about using it, then they won't use it. And if the experience is bad (as shown in the video), then they will purposely avoid using it.

Microsoft needs to find a reason for people to keep using Copilot once the initial, "wow that was neat," feeling wears off. However, I don't think they will. Like Cortana, it's not something that people regularly need in their everyday life.

Sodium Man

Sep 30, 2023
Visit site
Lol that is kind of funny.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to believe that copilot will either be deprecated in a few years, or radically changed from its originally implementation.

I'm having a hard time describing what I'm talking about so let me see if I can make a comparison instead.

How often do you use a hammer?

Professional carpenters use hammers all the time. An amateur handyman will need it a few times a year. Then there's the last category, which is everyone else. The people that use a hammer so infrequently that they have to think about where their hammer is at.

Microsoft is looking for carpenters, but they're getting everyone else.

Copilot hasn't made a case why it's going to be different than Cortana or other voice assistants. They all have the same problem, which is your average person don't want or need a hammer everyday, and they don't need AI to write letters or turn on dark mode.

If people aren't thinking about using it, then they won't use it. And if the experience is bad (as shown in the video), then they will purposely avoid using it.

Microsoft needs to find a reason for people to keep using Copilot once the initial, "wow that was neat," feeling wears off. However, I don't think they will. Like Cortana, it's not something that people regularly need in their everyday life.
I didn't use Cortana a lot before it was killed but Windows Copilot is something I use almost daily (mainly because it works as a neat shortcut to Bing Chat). Perhaps if Bing Chat (better than Google Bard) is successful (which it might be due to the integration with ChatGPT and Meta AI), then Windows Copilot would also be successful. I am optimistic about it and I think it will be successful eventually (once it has more features).

Painfully_Candid

Oct 8, 2019
Visit site
CoPilot--as has become the MO of Microsoft--brings no features that I need. At least Cortana started on the right track, but it was abandoned before it really came into its own. I relied heavily on Cortana on my Windows Phone. Nobody gets what an assistant should be. NOBODY. They are all garbage, as far as I'm concerned.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria