Windows Insider Build 10525 Activation Issue, error 0x8004FC12

Aeosgames

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
So here's my complicated tale. Been an insider from 2014 on the first builds and my computer has ALWAYS stayed activated on the Windows 10 Insider Preview. Anyways after Build 10525 was released a new problem started on my computer that caused my PC to crash when exiting games. So I decided to wait it out till the next build. (Unfortunately I did not think to Reset my PC before but I did report the bug through the Feedback app). Then Build 10532 came out and I updated but the problem was still not fixed with my games so I then decided to rollback to 10525. After I was on 10525 I realized I should just go back to 10532 and then reset and perhaps the issue would be fixed. So I started the update process back to Build 10532. Then during the update installation it froze on "Configuring settings 1%" and stayed there for about 9 hours. I realized I should just shut down the computer and turn it back on and it'll resume and perhaps override the freeze. But it didn't...it actually went to "Restoring previous version of Windows" and then brought me back to 10525. So then I decided to just do the reset on 10525 to fix my issue with gaming. After doing the reset now it keeps telling me repeatedly to Activate Windows and I pressed the activate button but I keep getting error 0x8004FC12. I tried contacting Microsoft but they couldn't help me and activating via phone or any other way DOES NOT WORK! I cant receive or install any updates as far as I know and I'm still an Insider on an Insider Preview. Anyone have any help or suggestions?

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Oh Boy Oh boy I thought I was the only one. Don't waste your time with MS call centre. The key that you will give them will turn out to be the "generic" key for windows 10 and they will say cant help you there? Would you have an image or back up of the OS which was on the computer before?
Did it have OEM windows shipped with it? Your only option is to go back to what you have before windows 10 and upgrade to windows 10. Clean install 10 after that to avoid future activation issues.

Do remember sometimes the upgrade/update settings will be stuck for several hours do not do anything I repeat do not do anything to the machine. Let it be plugged in and on for as long as it takes. I had a similar problem and my install for windows 10 upgrade was stuck at 3 points for hours and I was so tempted to restart the freaking thing. Only thing that held me back was the other users who have reported having waited for several hours to get it done.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
If you had OEM before the windows 10 TP use Produkey to recover the keys which you will need if you don't have an image back of previous install. Create and boot your system with the Startup/recovery USB key. It will start installation of the previous version that you had. If you have the image back up in the recovery environment look for restore from image and start the process and remember to leave it alone for as long as it takes. Once the install of the image is done and all the updates for the old OS are done ( I had about 2GB worth of updates which I didn't have to install on 8.1 because of TP YMMV) you will get the reserve update icon in the systray.
You can choose to wait for it to prompt to do your upgrade or force start the install from the ISO which is available for download. In that choose the upgrade option and wait for it to finish 100%. After that confirm it is installed and activated. It should have this time.
reboot in the recovery environment (option available in settings> update and recovery >recovery. In that choose to reset PC. Back up your files and in this instance when you reset select remove everything/keep nothing option. It will wipe the HDD Clean and you will have the best case scenario for your windows 10 (start with clean slate). Somewhere in this process you may get asked if you want to continue to make changes (something to do with bitlocker /TPM) select yes and let it finish the install. This time the key and activation id will all be fixed and here on in you can install windows 10 as many times as you want on this and it will be fine. been there done that ;) all you need is patience in this difficult time

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
quote, like or thank if you have any questions to ask as I normally don't go back to threads. That will be the only way I get a notification if you need me. Cheers

Aeosgames

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
quote, like or thank if you have any questions to ask as I normally don't go back to threads. That will be the only way I get a notification if you need me. Cheers

Thanks for the response. One more thing, can I hop back into the Insider Program this way or am I stuck with Retail version?

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the response. One more thing, can I hop back into the Insider Program this way or am I stuck with Retail version?

You will have the retail version and insiders is available in that. you just have to sign up for being insiders by going to settings> updates > additional info > get insider builds and click get started.

Aeosgames

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Oh alright awesome! Also since I hopped back on 8.1 I think im gonna stay a bit. I dont know about you but Windows 8.1 "seems faster"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea