Windows Libraries Has Been Broken Since the Anniversary Update, do you Have a Fix?

MrElectrifyer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey Dan,

After the anniversary update, File Explorer Libraries never functioned properly anymore, and the creators update still hasn't fixed this frustration. A key use of Libraries was to have a consistent view of directories in the library, and updating a parent or sub directory's view will affect the entire view of the library. This allowed seamless navigation of Libraries and management of files. The anniversary update boke that key function, and ever since then, every subdirectory has its own view, which you have to change manually for each and every sub-directory, and no way to make the same view apply through the entire library! Unfortunately, after all these minor and major updates, even though there's long been feedback in the feedback hub ( https://insider.windows.com/en-us/f...d=3e2f1c82-c574-4f08-9925-dbe41bcaf8f4&form=1 ), the problem still isn't fixed! Clearly microsoft doesn't give a crap about software quality anymore since windows 10...

For further elaboration, have a look here:
windows 10 - Library folder view not respecting the folder setting - Super User

Do you have a fix for this?

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I am assuming your question is for Windows 10 PC, not for Mobile.

Suggestions :

1. Run a system file check (sfc /scannow) to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.
Please post back if you need to know how to.

2. Create another user account with exactly the same privileges.
Logon to the new account.
Do you have the same issues ?
If no, it indicates your old account might be corrupted.
Run the new account for a while to make sure.
If all works well, logon to your old account > backup files you want to keep > delete old account.

MrElectrifyer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is regarding Windows 10 Pro on PC (my Surface Pro 2). I just recently did a fresh system restore of Windows 10, and first thing I checked was the Libraries, the issue still persisted. Even then, I created a new account in the Creators update, and tried it from there; issue still persists.

How is it on your end? Does changing the view of a subdirectory in Libraries affect the view of the parent directory, or vice versa? Does the view remain persistent across parent and sub directories?

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is regarding Windows 10 Pro on PC (my Surface Pro 2). I just recently did a fresh system restore of Windows 10, and first thing I checked was the Libraries, the issue still persisted. Even then, I created a new account in the Creators update, and tried it from there; issue still persists.

Sorry, I do not have any new ideas for you.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
How is it on your end? Does changing the view of a subdirectory in Libraries affect the view of the parent directory, or vice versa? Does the view remain persistent across parent and sub directories?

I don't have the issue you mentioned.

..........Does changing the view of a subdirectory in Libraries affect the view of the parent directory, or vice versa?..................

Yes, it does.

Just wonder. Have you done the followings ?
Open a Library > View > (select how you want to view) > top right at the ribbon, click Options > click Change folder and search option > click View > click Apply to folders > OK

MrElectrifyer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't have the issue you mentioned.

..........Does changing the view of a subdirectory in Libraries affect the view of the parent directory, or vice versa?..................

Yes, it does.

Just wonder. Have you done the followings ?
Open a Library > View > (select how you want to view) > top right at the ribbon, click Options > click Change folder and search option > click View > click Apply to folders > OK

From the sounds of that post, it appears you're mistaking your ordinary documents/pictures/videos/music folders as Libraries. If you attempt what you stated on an actual library, you'll notice that the buttons in the Folder views section are grayed out, as shown below:

Applying Folder Views on Libraries (Non-existent).png

Are you sure you're using actual Libraries? To confirm, right-click on your Document library, select properties, and post a screenshot of it with all sensitive info removed. Thanks in advance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon