Windows Phone Lumia 950 Rebooting Consistently

Ricardo Fox

Jan 11, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

I've had lumia 950 for a year now ,and like 3 weeks ago it started to reboot by itself, it started rebooting like once a day but now its restarting everytime I want to open and app. First I thought it was the battery, since everytime it rebooted the battery went down significantly, If i had just charged it it would go from 100% to like 30% when it turned on from the reboot. I changed the battery but noting has change. So right now i can't use the cell phone at all cause it reboots everytime I wanna use it.

I've read some issues like this in some forums but I could't find a solution I even used the recovery tool ,but it didn't work.

Any advise on what to do?

Thank you.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Im going through the same deal, mine rebooted like 6 times today. B4 i went to the gym my phone was at 100% and on the drive over it rebooted dropped down to 75%. I heard replacing the battery will fixed the problem, I've looked it up on previous threads mainly on the 950xl, but I'm sure it goes for the 950 as well. You can try backing up your phone, reformatting your memory card clearing out all the apps and starting from scratch and see if that fixes the problem.

scdkad

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Mine started doing it about month ago after buying it 7-8 months ago. New battery 100% solved it-hasn't rebooted since. Plenty of batteries on available on eBay.

fin11

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Random reboots or sudden shut downs are most likely a caused by a failing battery or bad battery connection. My 950xl started randomly rebooting or sometimes phone was just randomly turning off, at first when battery was at 20%, later when it was at 30% and finally even when it dropped to 60%. Replaced battery about 5 months ago and I haven´t had any problems after that. Phone runs perfectly.

Check battery, if it´s swollen or bulged it definitely needs replacing asap (my battery wasn´t swollen though). Some people have reported that cleaning the connectors or locking the battery with a piece of paper (so it cannot move and loose contact) fixed their reboots, so you can try that first, but I also think your issue will be fixed with a good battery. Unfortunately some people have also reported getting a new battery with bad quality didn´t fix their reboot, but it was fixed after Another replacement, with a good quality battery.

Ricardo Fox

Jan 11, 2018
Visit site
Hi thanks everyone for your answers, I already bought a new battery and tried doing a reset and start all over with the windows recovery tool, but it still didn't change anything, I'll try cleaning the terminals and check if the battery is well placed.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
That's odd, My L930 started doing the exact samething however the first time around it was the internal battery holder that had become lose (the plate that holds the battery ribbon in place and I am not sure how it happened but as it was a ebay refurbished unit hence why it was so cheap I suspect whoever checked the internals didn't screw the plate back on properly).

Then it happened again, I gave it good wack and it started working fine and then it happened again but this time nothing worked, dropped it on the chair - nothing, a good wack - nothing - it probably thought - ah "I'm done with this!" and went into even faster reboot loop lol - with the screen going slightly green before rebooting. Before It would load the Nokia logo get to the portion where the windows logo appears and reboot.

I tried the hard reset key combo but nothing.

Then it stopped as the battery literally ran out of charge, i left it on charge for about three days.

Then one night it started rebooting like mad as I tried a soft reset, it wouldn't stop, the phone started heat up like crazy so I opened up the back plate and left it next to the window as it charged for several days.

It's stopped rebooting but now the screen has gone, I can interact with it but there is no UX, digitizer works and the back light works however if I try a soft reset it goes into a reboot loop then stops.

I'm currently awaiting on a working replacement so I can check if it's a motherboard fault or a battery fault.

So maybe leave it on charge for a few days and see how you get on?

I had a similiar issue with my L920, it was the battery terminal as some dust got inside and was creating a short (nothing of that sort with the L930 it's clean and been cleaned to no avail).

Since you can remove the battery, I'd recommend getting one of these.

www.amazon.co.uk/PowerGen-Multi-Purpose-Universal-Battery-Ericsson/dp/B004C8MZF4

Keep us updated in regards to what you find / if you manage to fix it.

If I manage to fix mine, I'll post an update.

Edit:
Update:
I fixed mine by charging it for several days and have not had any issues so far, other than a the sim slot not working at all. I've deliberatly run the battery down listening to audiobooks and no rebooting issues. I used the OEM supplied charger and USB cable (factory cable), not sure if that makes any difference but that is what I used not a cheap third party charger.

Last edited:

Ricardo Fox

Jan 11, 2018
Visit site
Hello,
Thank you everyone for your replies, after a lot of research I finally found the problem, it was the sim card, I'm not sure how it works but I read that the sim card could affect the battery life, so I remembered my brother removed my sim card one day and used his for sometime and then placed mine again, and after that is when the phone started to have those reboots and battery problems.
So what I did was a hard reset (I don't think i really needed that since I had already done that and didn't help) ,then removed my sim card and insert it again, I believe it was not placed correctly, so yeah that made the miracle and my phone's working fine now.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Regards.

Captain Offensive

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
My 950 has also started rebooting on a frequent basis lately. Been fine for two years. I think it might tie in with a recent security update but I can't be sure.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I've gone through the same issue. I just replaced the battery on my L950 this week and i haven't experienced any reboots. The phone seems fine so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria