Windows10Mobile becomes unstable after running for about a few days and random corruption

Vortex3D

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
Since middle of last year, 2016, Windows10Mobile update has corrupted several of my Lumia640 phones multiple times after upgraded from one official build to another official build.

I have multiple Lumia640 and 2 out 3 times after Windows10Mobile update, my phones become semi corrupted to extremely corrupted. The worst is every app on the phone become corrupted after Windows10Mobile update. Sometimes, after the update, some apps become corrupted for no reason.

I also have other Lumia640 that are still on Windows8.1. I refused to update to 10Mobile because I found Lumia640 phones that are still on Windows8.1 can run longer to as long as a month without the need to reboot to keep Windows8.1 stable.

I also found I can keep Windows8.1 running without any reboot for 2-3 weeks of use.

Phones that are running Windows10Mobile start to show very heavy virtual memory swapping after using the phone for 2-3 days. I have to reboot the phone every few days to ensure, the phone doesn't do so much virtual memory paging when I use the phone.

Even my Lumia640 phones have between 50-100 apps installed, I manually disabled many apps from sitting in the background because that also uses some virtual memory.

I really like Windows phone, but unless Microsoft cares to get Windows10Mobile stable to run for at least a month on daily use, it's next to useless. Having to reboot Windows10Mobile every few days to ensure the phone doesn't keep slowing down because of virtual memory is already making the phone impractical.

I also have Android phone and I can keep Android running for over a month easily.
This is not possible with Windows10 Mobile.

I'm very curious if anyone uses their Lumia640 has uses as I do with 50-100 apps installed and can keep it stable for more than a week.

Second problem with Windows8.1 and 10Mobile is both versions of Windows often think the SD card is bad. I have 7 Lumia640 phones. Each phone has different brand of SD card manufacturer and different model from 32GB to 64GB and different speed rating.

How is it impossible for every SD card to magically become "bad" because Windows phone decided it's bad after Windows on the phone either hang or have to be rebooted. My theory is Windows randomly corrupted SD card when the OS gets into unstable state. When I moved the SD card to desktop PC and run file system check, it never find any corrupted on the SD card. Only Windows phone seems to think the SD card has become "bad".

In other words, why does Windows phone randomly corrupt the SD card? I also found if Windows10Mobile is able to run more than a week on daily use, it has higher chance of thinking something on the SD card has become corrupted when I shut the phone down. Does Windows10Mobile uses SD card so poorly that it randomly corrupts the SD card, it also corrupts the SD card?

Diamond67

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Second problem with Windows8.1 and 10Mobile is both versions of Windows often think the SD card is bad. I have 7 Lumia640 phones. Each phone has different brand of SD card manufacturer and different model from 32GB to 64GB and different speed rating.

I have Lumia 640. To be honest I have struggled with it a lot. But haven't ever done Hard Reset so far, not even once, mainly because I have some apps which I use every day and which have vanished from the Store (no more support). And I have upgraded my phone from Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows 10 Mobile and have run all those several minor upgrades since.

Anyway. I have created a good habit of rebooting my phone once every week(end). Just because I think Windows Mobile is actually very much like a normal PC. You should reboot it every now and then. Just to keep it running smoothly.

About SD Card errors. I've had a lot of them. I mean, after rebooting the phone it tells you that there are some SD Card errors and suggests a scan. And I let it scan the SD. And it fixes the errors. And it always is a PIA, you know, because it takes some 20 minutes or so. This has usually happened after updating operating system, or after updating several apps which are installed on SD Card. With both Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile.

However, after the couple of recent updates, this year, somehow, I have updated the OS and tens of apps. And there has not been any corruption of SD Card lately. Maybe something has been fixed? Cannot be sure. But the corruption of the SD seems not to be so big a problem for me any more. Fingers crossed.

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I have a 950, 950xl and 735 in my family. The 735 is on 8. The last week has been rough for reliability. Tonight the 950xl dumped all account information. They are very close to unusable without constant Tech support from me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb