Xbox Game Bar's new PC "Compact Mode" offers a glimpse at Microsoft's gaming handheld future

1078mac

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Meh. I am done encouraging half measures with this stuff. No incremental updates. I want a full fledged fullscreen gaming mode for all desktops. I wish they would simply make it possible to boot into an Xbox based dashboard for gaming like the Deck and have a way to access the desktop for setup for storefronts like EA, EPIC, Steam, etc, but never have the desktop show or intrude unless I want to see it. An Xbox type dashboard built for using a controller would help MS leapfrog SteamOS (potentially) as all games could be played including EAC games. Granted I HATE the bs ads on the Xbox dashboard. H A T E them! So leave those out. It is even less customizable than it used to be as well. So I don't trust Microsoft to get this right. Prove me wrong MS

Last edited:

xenred

May 6, 2023
Visit site
They should just basically port the Xbox Dashboard shell UI to Windows really. The mouse centric Game Bar is just feels outdated and not controller friendly.

For devices like this, it needs to actually loging straight to Xbox Dashboard and make Desktop Mode an optional experience. This is possible in Windows already, look at Windows 8.x. I knkw that OS basically flopped, but for different reason, this Xbox shell will be perfect for handhelds like these.

But this is a good first step to right direction and needs further polished.

And yes hopefully just not get abandoned and rot like most Microsoft features, apps and products introduced.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Squidsaurus