Xbox One on a 720p ("HD Ready") TV

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't really understand that much of the technical mumbo jumbo, so I thought if someone else would know.

The settings of Xbox One have a video option for 720p or 1080p, obviously I know that this is just what it outputs the games as on the TV. If you select 1080p, games will be upscaled (or running natively), if 720p, they come out as that obviously.

Now I was wondering if there is ANY benefit to running 1080p on a 720p TV? I know my TV (720p capable) won't be showing me those extra pixels, but wonder how my TV would react to feeding it 1080p?

Then from the PC world I know that the higher the resolution, the more it demands from the hardware. So since I can't even use 1080p with my TV, would the games run better/at higher average FPS since I will have to use 720p due to my TV anyways? Not sure if it would work like this for upscaled games (although I'm sure that process too takes resources), but if a game would be native 1080p, but in the settings I have 720p due to my TV, wouldn't it use less resources to render than 1080p, potentially freeing the resources for fe. higher FPS. Or does it not work like this due the closed nature of consoles as opposed to PCs?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't really understand that much of the technical mumbo jumbo, so I thought if someone else would know.

The settings of Xbox One have a video option for 720p or 1080p, obviously I know that this is just what it outputs the games as on the TV. If you select 1080p, games will be upscaled (or running natively), if 720p, they come out as that obviously.

Now I was wondering if there is ANY benefit to running 1080p on a 720p TV? I know my TV (720p capable) won't be showing me those extra pixels, but wonder how my TV would react to feeding it 1080p?

Then from the PC world I know that the higher the resolution, the more it demands from the hardware. So since I can't even use 1080p with my TV, would the games run better/at higher average FPS since I will have to use 720p due to my TV anyways? Not sure if it would work like this for upscaled games (although I'm sure that process too takes resources), but if a game would be native 1080p, but in the settings I have 720p due to my TV, wouldn't it use less resources to render than 1080p, potentially freeing the resources for fe. higher FPS. Or does it not work like this due the closed nature of consoles as opposed to PCs?

it would either a) reject your attempt and just feed 720p. Or b) feed 1080p and your tv will discard the extra data.

Consoles are optimised so that games run at set graphic modes. This is set by the game devs. There is no impact to the system whatsoever if you run them at max resolution or at qvga. The system will process the game how it processes the game. You cant alter that.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Upscaling may have come a long way, but the few times I tried it, I would rather prefer to play in its normal 720p configuration. A good example I can think of is Demon and Dark Souls. Upscaled to 1080, and the jaggedness and grainy details become more apparent, whereas in 720p, it just looks more natural and smoother.

But hey, times may have changed or it just may depend on the game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo