zenbook flip (1050 max-q) or acer nitro spin (1050 4gb) or wait?

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I have been eyeing touchscreen laptops with a good gpu (mainly for content creation) and found 2 for nice prices in the region with a qwerty keyboard.

My options:
1) An Asus Zenbook Flip which stands out with its compacter & lighter design but has a 2 gb version of the nvidia 1050 (max-q, so slightly slower) and perhaps no digitizer support (?, I guess it has but Asus seems to be cryptic about these kind of details).
2) An Acer Nitro Spin which stands out with its 4gb version of the nvidia 1050 and is thin but it is slightly bulkier/heavier.
3) wait a few months.

Both have the same generous amount of ram, ssd capacity and similar cpu. Screens seem to be good enough for both (I don't care for 100% srgb). Asus makes more sense as a 2-1 cause it is less unyielding (~200 gram lighter & small bezels, so easier to switch between modes for drawing), but the Acer makes more sense with 4gb of vram (for Blender & Unity and that kind of stuff). To be frank both are nice and I could wait a few months for e.g. an updated Zenbook Flip, to maybe have best of both? Or do you guys think Nvidia is going cheapskate with vram for the 1650? Or perhaps AMD Navi will come to touchscreen laptops?

(ps: I also had been thinking about the Yoga 730 but it has gpu & screen problems & no numpad)

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
You mention it will be for creating content. To give us a better idea, what kind of content will you be creating on the device you choose?
, hi, mostly 3d content (Blender, Unity etc), some sketching and programming.

The 2gb vram seems like a possible bottleneck, not sure though.
Also not sure about the Zenbook pen support.
And finally when when OEMs will release flip / 2-1 laptops with the 1650 (or amd Navi); do you think they will start showing up still this year?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon