Should I upgrade my 5 years old laptop to windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have a Toshiba Satellite U505 - S2006. When I see the official support page, I don't see any new driver for the upgrade. It kind of bothers me that I may encounter problem of the driver, like it doesn't working in windows 10, maybe. So, should I upgrade it if there is none support to it?

Then, another question which rather off topic. If your have parent that never use any pc, what would you choose for them to use, windows 7, 8.1, or 10?

Thanks for your help, and sorry for my english.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
That's a tough question to answer. I upgraded my seven year old Gateway laptop to Windows 10 and it's not without it's problems. The numlock key will not stay enabled by default (the registry fix didn't work) and my DVD drive no longer works. That is frustrating even though I rarely used the DVD drive. According to Acer/Gatway the machine has all its latest drivers. Other than the laptop is ok.

For your parents, if they are using a desktop or laptop I would get them Windows 10. If they are only using a tablet I want to say get W8.1 (superior tablet experience over W10 in my opinion) but if it's a full Windows OS it's going to want to upgrade to W10 anyway.

If it's noticeably more cost efficient to buy a W7 machine, do it because like W8.1, it'll upgrade to W10 for free anyway after it gets all its patches and update completed.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I would get them used to 10 straight away.

Also if you have switchable graphics (a dGPU and iGPU) you may encounter issues. There is no manual switching just auto switching. You will most likely need to configure graphic intensive applications in catalyst or the nvidia control panel. You will also need GPU-Z to verify which gpu is being used.

The cheapest way to check if you can upgrade to 10 on the u505-s2006. Is to get an external hdd and clone your hdd. Replace the hdd with cloned drive and upgrade to 10.

If you have no issues, then you have a back up drive incase you want to revert back after 30 days. The reason I suggested this method is because there appear to be no 8 or 8.1 drivers.

http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=2523332

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3