what do you think?

ambfl

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
So I thought I wanted a TP2 but have read that the camera isn't all that great since it's more of a professional phone. I understand that but like the keyboard which is why I never considered the TD2. However, if the TD2 has a better camera I may consider it. Does anyone know if the TD2 camera is supposed to be better? Also, does anyone have any feedback on the TD virtual keyboard - is it good, responsive, easy to use?

fone_fanatic

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
i have yet to see HTC release a device with a good camera.

Even though the TD2 has a 5mp camera vs TP2's 3.2, I haven't seen any camera shots from either device. It is very possible for a camera with lower MP to have better quality pics than a camera with a higher MP.

monomer

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
I have the european unlocked version of the TP2.

My brief impressions:

On-screen Keyboard: Coming from a treo 750 with a physical keyboard, this took a lot of getting used to. Once you're familiar with the key layout, it's not bad - good for short messages. You get a floating window of the key you're pressing and the phone vibrates slightly with every press, so you actually get feedback for pressing the keys which is nice. The best way to type I've found is to tap the keys with my index finger. Once I finish typing and touch another non-keyboard part of the screen, oddly I miss the tactile feedback from the vibrate! That said, it's not a physical keyboard and personally wouldn't be typing any long messages with the on-screen keyboard as the physical TP2 keyboard is excellent.

One niggle is if you're a fan of java (e.g. using Opera Mini) is remembering not to open the slider to try to access the physical keyboard whilst using a java midlet. This is a big thing as it causes the Jblend Java environment to complain vehemently and the midlet dumps you unceremoniously back to the main Java app menu, and it's just tough if you were doing something important before.

Camera: As my last phone was a Treo 750, I have nothing to complain about with the camera. I was actually impressed about how well it did especially if fairly low light situations and having no flash. You press the onscreen button, and the camera takes about a second to autofocus on a point that you can select. The photos are decent in good lighting, but don't expect much in very low-light situations. I usually have my main camera for serious photography so it's no big deal for me.

Hope that helps.

dtreo

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
I have the european unlocked version of the TP2.

My brief impressions:

On-screen Keyboard: Coming from a treo 750 with a physical keyboard, this took a lot of getting used to. Once you're familiar with the key layout, it's not bad - good for short messages. You get a floating window of the key you're pressing and the phone vibrates slightly with every press, so you actually get feedback for pressing the keys which is nice. The best way to type I've found is to tap the keys with my index finger. Once I finish typing and touch another non-keyboard part of the screen, oddly I miss the tactile feedback from the vibrate! That said, it's not a physical keyboard and personally wouldn't be typing any long messages with the on-screen keyboard as the physical TP2 keyboard is excellent.

One niggle is if you're a fan of java (e.g. using Opera Mini) is remembering not to open the slider to try to access the physical keyboard whilst using a java midlet. This is a big thing as it causes the Jblend Java environment to complain vehemently and the midlet dumps you unceremoniously back to the main Java app menu, and it's just tough if you were doing something important before.

Camera: As my last phone was a Treo 750, I have nothing to complain about with the camera. I was actually impressed about how well it did especially if fairly low light situations and having no flash. You press the onscreen button, and the camera takes about a second to autofocus on a point that you can select. The photos are decent in good lighting, but don't expect much in very low-light situations. I usually have my main camera for serious photography so it's no big deal for me.

Hope that helps.

@monomer
former Treo 755p and Treo 800w user here now trying a BB Tour for 2 weeks. I'm thinking of returning the Tour tomorrow and go back to my Treo 800w to wait 3 weeks for the TouchPro2 to release on Sprint.

IMO, the 755p was a terrific device in terms of simple and easy access to calendar, great threaded texting, and a decent battery life. browsing was very basic, of course, but it handled exchange email well and was a good overalll business device. my change to WinMo on the Treo 800w was a definite adjustment, but over a few weeks I came to love the ability to switch between functions like browsing, copy something into a text, go back to browsing, jump to an email and back without missing a beat. the battery life on 800w sucks, but was manageable. wifi is nice, probably the fastest browsing of any smartphone I've tried (including iphone and others on other carriers). the best thing about the 800w browsing was the fast reloading of prior pages compared to anything else. this is something I miss dearly on my BB Tour now - to point that I've basically stopped web browsing on it compared to the fast jump through a dozen or so sites that I would make daily on my 800w. threaded texting on the 800w was terrific and handy for business use. copy/paste from anywhere on any web page was also great - another thing I hate about my BB.

the BB is a great phone and email machine, but the other handy features of threaded texting and multitasking with a touchscreen Treo 800w are hard to give up. the BB Tour is very well put together and with shortcuts I'm doing ok, but I think the quick access and instant "go to" feel that a touchscreen has is what I'm missing. my 800w was indestructible too during frequent travel where the BB Tour feels (and is) expensive like I might break it or scratch it up pretty badly with normal wear and tear.

my thought is to take back my Tour this week before my 30 days is up and wait on my 800w for the TouchPro2 to release in early Sept.

coming from WinMo Treo, how do you think I might like the TouchPro2? I don't have a problem with WinMo, as it presents so many good business options and uses. I want a great phone, excellent texting and Exchange email support, Gmail and Yahoo email, above average browsing, and a Today screen (or something like it) where you can easily figure out what's going on with your communications and get things done quickly (which PalmOS and WinMo seem to do best for me).

my concern is moving to the TouchPro2 slideout keyboard. how burdensome is that since with Treo and BB you can do so much one handed with the keyboard right there all the time?? the TouchPro2 keyboard looks great, but it's a slide out...so...

thanks for any insight.
dtreo

monomer

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
coming from WinMo Treo, how do you think I might like the TouchPro2?

My initial impressions are very good. I really like the TP2 and the lack of readily accessible buttons is a bit disconcerting at first, but you get used to touching the screen for a lot of the functions.

The slide-out keyboard is accessible but not as so rough-and-readily 'there' as on a front-facing qwerty. Again, I'm getting used to that too, and when you use the large physical keyboard, it makes up for it in many ways. I can hammer out a message a lot more easily and comfortably than on the smaller keyboard on the treo. I would definitely not recommend using the slideout keyboard one-handed though! You need both hands to hold it stably, because this is not a phone you'd want to drop! :p

The one thing that could put you off might be the weight. If you've ever owned a Treo 650, then that'll give you an idea about how much it weighs. I mean it isn't too heavy, but you do feel the heft!

I'd say that for me, it's worth the move to the TP2. You might not be able access some functions as readily as you would on a Treo, but it can do so much more and look good doing it. Thumbs up from me :thumbsup:

ibrahim#WP

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
hello i wanna a new phone and i am looking for the Samsung omnia2 whit 800 mhz on tmobile 2G EDGE or tmobile touch pro2 whit 528 mhz on the 3G i wanna buy the one it will be faster. Can you please help me

rheidler

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
I've had mine about three days now, upgrading from and old T-Mobile "dumb phone" and a much loved Dell Axim.... The first day was a little frustrating... the interface was much changed from the old Windows Mobile I had on the Axim. but now I'm getting used to it I'm REALLY enjoying it. The screen isn't quite as responsive as an I-Phone, but you have the advantage and accuracy of being able to use a stylus, which is very helpful in some programs. I've looked at a number of smartphones over the last few years, and almost went with an I-phone, but I am very glad I waited for the Touch Pro 2. I believe it sets a new standard.

ejonny

May 16, 2008
Visit site
Got my Sprint Touch Pro2 today. It is a nice device. I though the resolution of the Touch Pro was great. This is even better.

The camera seems the same as the Touch Pro. But no LED flash. I'll miss that. But the mute button for the speaker phone is better.

The HTC virtual keyboard is much nicer than I remember for the Touch Diamond. I, too, like the haptic (vibration) feedback. And I love how holding down a key let's you "shift" to numbers or special characters.

Definately feels bigger. Light a slightly thicker iPhone.

I agree with monomer. If you been using WinMo Phones the lack of the four way is very strange. I'm still not used to it.

I can tell you that HTC did a ton to skin windows mobile. As a matter of fact, I can't find a way to disable TouchFlo.

I like the improvements to TouchFlo. The stocks tab is nice. I really love the Facebook integration. It looked at my contact list, looked at my Facebook profile and connected the two with pictures and birthdays. Wow.

Now if I could only figure out how to get to the settings application so I can reduce the font size. The stock font size is huge. But again, HTC skinned this phone so tight I can't find a way to get to settings or even the traditional programs menu.

Last edited:

monomer

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
I can tell you that HTC did a ton to skin windows mobile. As a matter of fact, I can't find a way to disable TouchFlo.

Now if I could only figure out how to get to the settings application so I can reduce the font size. The stock font size is huge. But again, HTC skinned this phone so tight I can't find a way to get to settings or even the traditional programs menu.

If you're willing to tinker around with the registry and install other apps, then it's probably possible to get it the way you like it.

It's probably worth a look at the xda-developers Rhodium forum, as there are a lot of answers to be found to questions that I wouldn't have thought of asking!

Anyway, here's a thread where someone got partly through disabling TouchFLO that may be worth following.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=524811

ejonny

May 16, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Mono. I found it:

HTC/Sprint made it tricky to get to WinMo. Non-power users will likely never see a frontend other than TouchFLO (which is sweet). To get to settings and disable TouchFLO (or just use the standard winmo settings like adjusting fontsize) hit the windows flag and the left softkey (all settings). Took me 10 mins of frustration to figure this out.​

I try to minimize registry hacks. The only one I've done is disabled the SMS sent notification.

monomer

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Glad you found the answer! Sprint's version must be different - the "All Settings" option on the unlocked European version is the left softkey on the Settings Tab in the TouchFLO menu strip.

I found by accident that font sizes in the email/SMS, Notes, Office Mobile and some other apps can be adjusted by using the Zoom Bar to quickly enlarge/shrink the font.

ejonny

May 16, 2008
Visit site
Monomer -
You are exactly right. The All Settings is the left soft key on the setting tab of TouchFLO.

I think the most recent versions of TouchFLO (2.5 and 2.6) allow for the font adjustment from within TouchFLO.

And although the magnification strip allows for changing of font sizes within an application like Outlook or Excel or Opera, for things like the message list in Outlook the font is determined based on the Font Size defined in the Screen setting.

securityscaper

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
So I'm a Sprint user and anxiously awaiting it's arrival in the store. I know I can order it via telesales now, but I still want to see it before I order it.

Yesterday I did go play with the TMobile version and I did not see a stylus on the phone. One corner of the phone had what looked to be a stylus, but I tried to pull it out but it wouldn't budge, so I guess it was not a stylus.

Can someone confirm that the TP2 does not have a stylus? If not a stylus and there is is no 4-way D-pad, it seems like it will be painful to navigate when the keyboard is not pulled out (and maybe even then).

Any thoughts/impressions on navigating the TP2?

securityscaper

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
I got the phone yesterday and so far I love it! I'm far from being efficient with it, especially since this is my first WM phone, but still this is a great phone. Well designed and just slick all around. Consider me a WM convert!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium