Touch Pro 2 review thread

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I just got mine yesterday (10-6-09) so I am saving this first post for my review I will post it up in a couple of weeks.

Here are my thoughts and comments on the Sprint Touch Pro2. I have had my TP2 for a while now and just so you know I waited to write this review because well I am the worlds worst band Waggoner I see a new device on the marker I get my hands on it and for the first couple of weeks it’s the greatest thing ever. I find if I wait a while let the new rub off I get a much better feel for how a device is going to hold up. At this point the TP2 is a keeper in my eyes.

I am only going to be reviewing the hardware because I am an avid ROM flasher so I havent spend enough time with any OS to give an adequate review of its performance.
OperatingSystem.jpg

What a solid device the build quality is excellent. When the original Touch Pro interred the market there were endless complaints about the build quality battery life heat issues… Not with this device it looks like HTC is learning from its own history.

Screen:
Very nice great color and clarity photo colors blend together and look great. The screen is the #1 reason I wanted this device I really had to squint to see the screen on my old TP.

QWERTY:
Nice physical keyboard easy to type on even with my large fingers. I do have some problems with hitting the top row of keys when the screen is tilted up and for some reason I am always hitting the “D” key cant explain that one just happens. The touch and response/feedback from the keys is a definite improvement form the TP.

Other device buttons:
Up down volume is what you would expect. The front facing keys End, Answer, Start, and back feel a little cheep to me this is the only place where this device could have been done better. I just don’t like how recessed the buttons are. I would have like them to be a little taller with a little better response when pressed. The mute button on the back is a nice adder I use the Speaker phone a lot so this is nice to have. How hard would it have been to make that button map able for other uses when you’re not on the phone? I’m just saying.

Slider/ Tilt:
Very nicely done even after a few weeks it’s still solid and I open and close mine all the time like a nervous tick.

Camera:
Ok for a phone camera but this could have been done better maybe there is something that can be done with the software. We shall see.

Speaker phone:
Very nicely done the OEM software has the volume a little low but some of the ROM upgrades I have tried have really improved on this. I really like the mute button on the back.

Charge plug and headphone jack:
Both are adequate the fact that HTC insists on using the modified mini USB is still a question to me. I understood that on the TP it was needed for the headphones to work but if we have the 3.5 mm jack why the odd shaped USB. It just confuses people they don’t know what cables will work.

Battery:
For me the battery life has been great compared to other devices I have owned. With the exception of the TD and Treo 700wx this device has the best battery life of all converged devices I have owned.

Phone/Bluetooth/Radios
The phone on Sprints network has been great no hiccups here. I use my phone a lot I get in to times where answers are needed I have to jump from call to call and I have little time to waste this can be a stressful time for me and the last thing I need is my phone freezing up or lagging. I am happy to say that I am very pleased with the TP2 performance during these times. Bluetooth has been just as impressive I really like the Bluetooth stack used on this device. I use the stereo Bluetooth in my Truck while driving I use a regular Bluetooth the rest of the time with no complaints. Radio/reception I have better coverage with this device than I had with my TP. In my office for example with my TP I would drop calls some times this has not been an issue with the TP2. I think the antenna is better on the TP2. I have not used the GSM radio at all so I have no comments on its performance at this time.

Other:
I don’t like having to remove the back cover to reset the device this is a pain HTC should have done something with the back cover to make this easier. Micro SD card is in a good place I like having it under the cover I don’t want to lose my 16 gig card.

Conclusion I am still very happy with my Touch Pro 2 it is one of the best built HTC devices I have used. I am looking forward to having the best QWERTY slider Windows Mobile device on the market for at least the next 6 months to a one year.

If your on the fence on this device and you need the physical QWERTY I would say get it or you will be waiting a while for a better device to become available.

Last edited:

bryonp

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
The Best Phone Ever!

i tell you what this thing is a media power house ,the net is awesome,plays movies ,music,you can mod and hack the crap out of it,it will play all the emu games like nintendo,genisis,ps 1 and so on ,it has video out and if you by the cabel from wmexperts you can watch movies,net,pics,basicly any thing this phone does you will see it on your tv thats the pimp stuff i dont even have one complaint about this phone at all its all positive for me battery life is awesome after some software mods im mean this phone is just unbelievable theres my 2 cents:D

kxs783kms#WP

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
This is my first winmo device. And with all of the negative talk about how bad winmo phones are, I started to shy away from purchasing the TP2. But to be honest, I continued to be drawn in by it's beauty. So I took the dive and said what the heck. (*Knowing I had a 30-day return policy to back me up.*) And must I say, this phone is going no where. IMHO, I think this phone is one of the top 5, that's currently out on the market right now and it's sold out (*on Verizon website*) for reason. I'm still getting use to it, so it will only get better once I learn how to do some of the things the pro's are doing. This goes to show you, you can't always go by what you read and others opinions. Sometimes you just have to experience things for yourself.

leathernuts#WP

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Ive been a berry user for a couple years as well. Dont get me wrong, great for messaging, but I forgot how powerful a true PDA really is. This phone/ PDS is awesome!!! Im loving it.

clitrenta

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Ive been a berry user for a couple years as well. Dont get me wrong, great for messaging, but I forgot how powerful a true PDA really is. This phone/ PDS is awesome!!! Im loving it.

I'm a long time berry user myself but I've been looking as possible backup phones and maybe a replacement if it was good enough. I just hadn't seen anything that could come close to my Curve 8900 with the exception of the TP2. From what I can see, I think this phone would by worthy although the lack of UMA on the T-Mo device is mildly upsetting since I use that particular feature a lot. It may not stop me from trying it out though.:cool:

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
Well, after 24 hours with a Tilt 2, I'm seriously tempted to return it and go back to my Tilt 1. Yes, it looks nice than the original, and has some interface improvements, but some things don't work as well. For example:
1. The snooze option for calender events is essentially gone. I use this all the time, but now snooze time is fixed at about 5 minutes, which is worthless (I typically select an hour or more).
2. Without the scroll wheel on the side or the cursor control on the front, it is really tough to scroll through a list without selecting something.

I'm going to give it a few days, but I'm coming to the conclusion that AT&T doesn't carry the right phone for me yet.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Well, after 24 hours with a Tilt 2, I'm seriously tempted to return it and go back to my Tilt 1. Yes, it looks nice than the original, and has some interface improvements, but some things don't work as well. For example:
1. The snooze option for calender events is essentially gone. I use this all the time, but now snooze time is fixed at about 5 minutes, which is worthless (I typically select an hour or more).
2. Without the scroll wheel on the side or the cursor control on the front, it is really tough to scroll through a list without selecting something.

I'm going to give it a few days, but I'm coming to the conclusion that AT&T doesn't carry the right phone for me yet.

1) Try G-Alarm for your calendar and alarm needs this is a great alarm clock they have a trial version give it a shot.

2) I posted in the tips and tricks there is a cab to hake the zoom bar work like a scroll wheel check it out.

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
1) Try G-Alarm for your calendar and alarm needs this is a great alarm clock they have a trial version give it a shot.

2) I posted in the tips and tricks there is a cab to hake the zoom bar work like a scroll wheel check it out.

Will G-Alarm work with the main calender? I set most of my appointments/reminders in Outlook on my desktop PC, and want the reminders to pop up on my desktop or on my phone. If I'm busy doing something else, and the item can be delayed, I'll set the snooze time for roughly when I think I'll be done. That makes any third party tool that doesn't work with Exchange a problem. What bothers me here is that the Tilt 1 does what I need (although without quite as many options as I'd like).

popularbelief

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
wow. where do i start?
i been an htc fan for about 3 years now. after the Diamond i was looking 4 a true qwerty experience. i won't bore you to death with my journey but i will provide pros and cons to my new buy.
PROs:
Sprint matched Verizon's price for $199 FTW!
Beautiful 3.6 inch screen that tilts for maximum video viewing (youtube hd looks stunning)
3.5mm Headphone Jack. (no need 4 bt headphones)
Dedicated Windows Button.
Speaker/speakerphone is loud and functional.
Weight/build/layout of phone feels professional not toyish (PalmPre?)
Facebook Integration
htc Straight Talk.(flipping the phone over while multitasking is fun & easy)
MMS Layout. (faster & smoother. easier to read)
Dedicated QWERTY Keys. (mms, comm mgr, web are perfect!)

CONs:
No SD Card ( I was so p*ssed off especially bc I came from a Diamond w/ Internal Storage)
No Phone Case (Sprint FAIL!)
One Screen Protector but two stylus? (Double Sprint FAIL)
Same Processor Speed as HTC Diamond but Hardware is better? (htc Fail)
wm 6.5 is STILL not out yet. (Sprint fail)
Verdict?
After upgrading I do not feel disappointed. I wanted a bigger screen + better QWERTY solution and got both in a beautiful phone.
After adding a huge amount of cab programs and personalizing it exactly the way I wanted, the processor speed doesn't lack performance. I don't care about camera phone quality since I carry a Sony HD with me anyways. Call quality is great even when indoors. BT file transfers are fast. Sprint provides a great EVDO Rev A. Network all over Texas with an average of data speeds at 3.6 mbps down on a good day. I do not recommend this phone to anyone looking for a "fix everything right now phone." This phone is for avid PPC gurus and a few enlightened Newbies joining the PPC game. I look forward to htc Touch Pro 3 or maybe even htc HD2 (Leo) w/ QWERTY keyboard one day.

"my name is popularbelief420 and i'm a ppc."

Last edited:

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
No SD Card ( I was so p*ssed off especially bc I came from a Diamond w/ Internal Storage)
No Phone Case (Sprint FAIL!)
One Screen Protector but two stylus? (Double Sprint FAIL)

1. Are you sure that it doesn't have a micro SD card slot? The AT&T TP2 has one under the battery cover, on the side of the phone.
2. I've had several Palm/PPC/WM phones and none have come with a case.
3. All the Palm/PPC/WM phones I've owned have come with a single screen protector (which I've never used) and two styli - the one you need and a spare. That makes sense, as there are many sources for screen protectors, and many don't use them (I've never had any screen damage from the lack of a screen protector), and the stylus is dedicated and hard to find if you lose one.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
1. Are you sure that it doesn't have a micro SD card slot? The AT&T TP2 has one under the battery cover, on the side of the phone.
2. I've had several Palm/PPC/WM phones and none have come with a case.
3. All the Palm/PPC/WM phones I've owned have come with a single screen protector (which I've never used) and two styli - the one you need and a spare. That makes sense, as there are many sources for screen protectors, and many don't use them (I've never had any screen damage from the lack of a screen protector), and the stylus is dedicated and hard to find if you lose one.

I think what he meant was that the TP2 didn't come with a free SD card. My TP came with a 1 Meg sd card and a case from Sprint.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720