Touch Pro 2 review thread

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
I think what he meant was that the TP2 didn't come with a free SD card. My TP came with a 1 Meg sd card and a case from Sprint.

Interesting, and not my experience with Cingular/AT&T, nor my wife's (with her Touch and BB Tour) from Verizon. A 1 MB SD card is almost free these days, most people prefer to pick their case (I know I looked at many before selecting my "perfect" case from WMExperts).

dtreo

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
well, after a busy week of work travel with my TP2, I'm on the fence.

- battery life has been great for all it does
- call reception great and call quality as good as anything I've used
- screen is beautiful and I've quickly gotten used to the right amount of touch and control
- speakerphone is terrific
- terrific build quality and feel

Neutral:
- keyboard feels great and is very well laid out, but the large keys and distance between the keys and the front dedicated buttons makes for some awkward moves and it's certainly a two-handed device, as we all know.
- TouchFlo 3D looks cool and fun to show off, but it isn't practical to use in a busy work scenario. It just feels inefficient when you're busy answering texts, emails and taking calls. Too many confirmations and two-step processes that can be one-step by reverting to WinMo 6.1. That being said, it I revert back to WinMo 6.1 and take off TouchFlo 3D, then it feels like you aren't using the phone for the right reason.

Dislikes:
- Pretty bulky considering Droid models soon to be released...maybe this should be thinner and lighter too.

All in all, I am a bit torn between liking the move to a full screen new design that is quite capable, but I really feel less efficient coming from several Treos. I felt the same with my BB Tour, but I certainly like the TP2 better than I liked being on Tour, so no going back to BB. If anything, I would give Android a try, but I'm thinking that WinMo with the right tweaks will be my favorite.

my 2 cents.
dtreo

The Liaison

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
This is my first winmo device. And with all of the negative talk about how bad winmo phones are, I started to shy away from purchasing the TP2. But to be honest, I continued to be drawn in by it's beauty. So I took the dive and said what the heck. (*Knowing I had a 30-day return policy to back me up.*) And must I say, this phone is going no where. IMHO, I think this phone is one of the top 5, that's currently out on the market right now and it's sold out (*on Verizon website*) for reason. I'm still getting use to it, so it will only get better once I learn how to do some of the things the pro's are doing. This goes to show you, you can't always go by what you read and others opinions. Sometimes you just have to experience things for yourself.

But you said it's going nowhere, and you like it??? I'm lost.

dtreo

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
stopped into Verizon to see the Droid and Eris yesterday. not impressed at all with the Droid keyboard vs. the TP2. no way i would trade my TP2 for a Droid. the HTC onscreen keyboard is so much better than Motorola's too. the Droid is a nice device, no doubt, but I would take the TP2 over it if I were on Verizon.
Eris is a nice media phone, but narrow just like the Sprint Hero for long emails it would tough.
I am liking toe TP2 more and more with each passing day and don't wish for anything else, except to see what 6.5t brings in terms of day to day usefulness, if anything really.

R32_Rocky

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
stopped into Verizon to see the Droid and Eris yesterday. not impressed at all with the Droid keyboard vs. the TP2. no way i would trade my TP2 for a Droid. the HTC onscreen keyboard is so much better than Motorola's too. the Droid is a nice device, no doubt, but I would take the TP2 over it if I were on Verizon.
Eris is a nice media phone, but narrow just like the Sprint Hero for long emails it would tough.
I am liking toe TP2 more and more with each passing day and don't wish for anything else, except to see what 6.5t brings in terms of day to day usefulness, if anything really.

If interested in Android, check out this free wm6 shell Androkkid:

http://www.simosoftprojects.com/androkkid.php

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
here's my capsure screen:

20091108_043555_0000_110.jpg

I had that fancy home screen app but I didn't want to pay for it, so far I am not missing it (that much).

R32_Rocky

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

dtreo, I just posted a screenshot of Androkkid over in the screenshot post for you.

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I just got mine yesterday (10-6-09) so I am saving this first post for my review I will post it up in a couple of weeks.

Here are my thoughts and comments on the Sprint Touch Pro2. I have had my TP2 for a while now and just so you know I waited to write this review because well I am the worlds worst band Waggoner I see a new device on the marker I get my hands on it and for the first couple of weeks it?s the greatest thing ever. I find if I wait a while let the new rub off I get a much better feel for how a device is going to hold up. At this point the TP2 is a keeper in my eyes.

I am only going to be reviewing the hardware because I am an avid ROM flasher so I havent spend enough time with any OS to give an adequate review of its performance.
OperatingSystem.jpg

What a solid device the build quality is excellent. When the original Touch Pro interred the market there were endless complaints about the build quality battery life heat issues? Not with this device it looks like HTC is learning from its own history.

Screen:
Very nice great color and clarity photo colors blend together and look great. The screen is the #1 reason I wanted this device I really had to squint to see the screen on my old TP.

QWERTY:
Nice physical keyboard easy to type on even with my large fingers. I do have some problems with hitting the top row of keys when the screen is tilted up and for some reason I am always hitting the ?D? key cant explain that one just happens. The touch and response/feedback from the keys is a definite improvement form the TP.

Other device buttons:
Up down volume is what you would expect. The front facing keys End, Answer, Start, and back feel a little cheep to me this is the only place where this device could have been done better. I just don?t like how recessed the buttons are. I would have like them to be a little taller with a little better response when pressed. The mute button on the back is a nice adder I use the Speaker phone a lot so this is nice to have. How hard would it have been to make that button map able for other uses when you?re not on the phone? I?m just saying.

Slider/ Tilt:
Very nicely done even after a few weeks it?s still solid and I open and close mine all the time like a nervous tick.

Camera:
Ok for a phone camera but this could have been done better maybe there is something that can be done with the software. We shall see.

Speaker phone:
Very nicely done the OEM software has the volume a little low but some of the ROM upgrades I have tried have really improved on this. I really like the mute button on the back.

Charge plug and headphone jack:
Both are adequate the fact that HTC insists on using the modified mini USB is still a question to me. I understood that on the TP it was needed for the headphones to work but if we have the 3.5 mm jack why the odd shaped USB. It just confuses people they don?t know what cables will work.

Battery:
For me the battery life has been great compared to other devices I have owned. With the exception of the TD and Treo 700wx this device has the best battery life of all converged devices I have owned.

Phone/Bluetooth/Radios
The phone on Sprints network has been great no hiccups here. I use my phone a lot I get in to times where answers are needed I have to jump from call to call and I have little time to waste this can be a stressful time for me and the last thing I need is my phone freezing up or lagging. I am happy to say that I am very pleased with the TP2 performance during these times. Bluetooth has been just as impressive I really like the Bluetooth stack used on this device. I use the stereo Bluetooth in my Truck while driving I use a regular Bluetooth the rest of the time with no complaints. Radio/reception I have better coverage with this device than I had with my TP. In my office for example with my TP I would drop calls some times this has not been an issue with the TP2. I think the antenna is better on the TP2. I have not used the GSM radio at all so I have no comments on its performance at this time.

Other:
I don?t like having to remove the back cover to reset the device this is a pain HTC should have done something with the back cover to make this easier. Micro SD card is in a good place I like having it under the cover I don?t want to lose my 16 gig card.

Conclusion I am still very happy with my Touch Pro 2 it is one of the best built HTC devices I have used. I am looking forward to having the best QWERTY slider Windows Mobile device on the market for at least the next 6 months to a one year.

If your on the fence on this device and you need the physical QWERTY I would say get it or you will be waiting a while for a better device to become available.

there is always that program for when you hold the power on/off button you get a screen to either hard/soft reset, screen off or device off.

sexilady

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
newbie 2 tp

This is my first wm phone. I have had a blackberry and I love it but wanted a phone where i can easily get word documents. Still learning the phone but I know will get it in a week or so. I hear complaints about it freezing but its a mini computer just like your desk top or laptop may freeze it has so much info in a small package.:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs