12-09-2009 01:51 PM
64 123
tools
    Hmm, what happened to my post? Let's try again. While waiting for the Tilt 2 to become available, I've continued to play with the iPhone. Some more positives/negatives.

It was nice to be able to get in my car, hook up the iPhone to the Aux in jack on my radio, press the button on my Bluetooth and say "play music" and have it start playing MP3 files. Later on, I switched to the next track by pressing the button and saying "next song", and then selected an different album by saying "play album Across the Universe", and finally "play artist Pink Floyd". And then I pressed the button and said "call home home" and it dialed the entry on my phone for home, paused the music until I was done, and the went back to playing. I don't know if a Windows Mobile phone can do this so effortlessly.

YES IT CAN

On my Windows Mobile phone, I sync with my work contacts and calender automatically with Exchange. When I get home, I can connect to my home PC with a cable and sync with the contacts and calender at home. Because the phone keeps everything integrated, the contacts and calender on my home PC and work PC are essentially the same. With the iPhone, the two PCs are handled independently, and I can have the phone show just home stuff, just work stuff, or both - this is a plus if you want to keep home and work information segrated, but a minus if you want to keep everything synched (I do). In addition, if you want to add a contact from the "recent calls" list, you don't get a choice of where to put it: as far as I can tell, I can only add the contacts to my Exchange contact list, not to my personal contacts - which was a problem today when I wanted to add a personal contact. And once an item is in the Exchange contacts list, there's no easy way to move it. The Windows Mobile phones are definitely ahead here.

NO IT CANT. Closest thing to this is storing contacts in groups
    10-20-2009 10:46 PM
    Does the WM voice recognition on the Tilt 2 work with everything, or just specific programs? With the iPhone, no matter what is running, I can press the button and say "Call Fred" and it will switch to the phone and call, or I can say "play music" and it will switch to the music player and start.

As for the need to store contacts in groups to come close to the iPhone feature, I think that's a good thing, as I hate the way the iPhone does it.
    10-21-2009 07:44 AM
    Okay Jeffp25. If you keep asking can this do this or do that like the iphone, then why not just keep the iphone. If not, just get the Tilt2 and try it out for 30 days. (*Plenty of time to see if it does all of the things that you are looking for.*) If it doesn't stack up, then return it. I continue to read this thread and I swear that I'm on an iphone web site. (*LOL*)
    10-21-2009 09:04 AM
    Voice Command software features FYI
    Jeffp25 likes this.
    10-21-2009 09:00 PM
    The Voice Command works in no matter what program you are in... WinMo is a true multi-tasking OS unlike the iPhone... So yes, no matter when, the VC is going to kick on and ask you what you want to do.
    10-21-2009 09:42 PM
    <If not, just get the Tilt2 and try it out for 30 days.>

Simple answer - I haven't been able to find one or I'd have done just that.
    10-22-2009 12:08 PM
    The Voice Command works in no matter what program you are in... WinMo is a true multi-tasking OS unlike the iPhone... So yes, no matter when, the VC is going to kick on and ask you what you want to do.
    But the iPhone works the same way. It does true multitasking, but only with Apple applications.

I'm happy to hear the Tilt 2 can match the iPhone here.
    10-22-2009 12:13 PM
    Does Voice Command come with the Tilt 2 or will I have to buy it?
    10-22-2009 12:21 PM
    But the iPhone works the same way. It does true multitasking, but only with Apple applications.

I'm happy to hear the Tilt 2 can match the iPhone here.
    I don't call that true multitasking if only certain apps will multitask. Glad the iPhone can somewhat match what WinMo has done for 10 years.

Does Voice Command come with the Tilt 2 or will I have to buy it?
    Built in with their ROM I believe. If not search is your friend.
    10-22-2009 03:43 PM
    I don't call that true multitasking if only certain apps will multitask. Glad the iPhone can somewhat match what WinMo has done for 10 years.
    More on multi-tasking. On the way home today, I connected the iPhone to power and the auxillary in jack, and then started the map application to monitor traffic on my route. While that application was active, I pressed the button on my Bluetooth earpiece and said "play music" and the music started, with the map application still showing traffic and my location. While the map was active and the music was playing, I pressed the button and said "call home" and called home, with both applications (map and music) resuming when I hung up. Out of curiosity, I started the Facebook application while waiting at a traffic light, the music continued, and I could dial out without Facebook having any problem - starting the map application again was almost instant, showing traffic and my location.

So, while the iPhone doesn't multitask everything, most times that's not a problem. Now, a Tilt 2 I could do all the above, and unlike the iPhone, I could have done it with a third party music player (maybe having Pandora running in the background), so the Tilt 2 is ahead here, but the iPhone isn't that bad.

Apple claim that they limit multitasking to prevent the processor being overloaded by background applications, which slows everything down and eats battery life - both of which most of us have run into with WM phones. On the other hand, I prefer to have the choice - there are times I'm willing to sacrifice speed and battery life for convenience.

I'm still hoping to pick up a Tilt 2 this weekend.
    10-22-2009 07:55 PM
    I predict your going to love it. :D:D:D
    10-22-2009 08:23 PM
    Personally I love my TP2, it's pretty quick does mostly what the iPhone can do (and more). I like it because I dont need to jail break my phone, windows encourages you to personalize your phone. I like i can remove the battery. The touchscreen is pretty responsive (not as good as a capacitive but pretty darn good). If you go verizon you will have the 3.5 mm jack. Data service for verizon is cheaper than the iPhone as well.

Not saying iPhone is a bad phone it's really not but it lacks the freedoms other phones have. But that's apple for you.
    10-22-2009 09:42 PM
    If I was switching to Verizon, I'd be tempted by the Droid! But I'm sticking with AT&T because it gets better service at my home and work.
    10-23-2009 05:15 AM

Apple claim that they limit multitasking to prevent the processor being overloaded by background applications, which slows everything down and eats battery life - both of which most of us have run into with WM phones. On the other hand, I prefer to have the choice - there are times I'm willing to sacrifice speed and battery life for convenience.
    Didn't most of that come after the 3.0 update though? I believe it increased the amount of multitasking that could be done.
    10-23-2009 09:20 AM
    Didn't most of that come after the 3.0 update though? I believe it increased the amount of multitasking that could be done.
    That I can't answer. I didn't have any interest in an iPhone until they added cut and paste editing!
    10-23-2009 12:59 PM
    OK, so if I can find a Tilt2 this weekend, one of the first things I'll need to find is a good video converter, that can take my existing videos and convert them to the best format for the Tilt. Any recommendations?
    10-23-2009 09:33 PM
    Google Format Factory it works great and its free
    10-23-2009 09:36 PM
    Google Format Factory it works great and its free
    I've found lots of listings, which brings up a problem with free software for WM today - anyone can post a malicious application on the Web under the name of something worthwhile, and cause havoc to those unlucky enough to think they're running a good application. The new App stores are a way around this, but Microsoft has to catch up with Google and Apple - hopefully they'll do that quickly because there's great stuff out there.

Having said that, do you have a recommendation for some reliable sites that might have Format Factory?
    10-23-2009 10:30 PM
    I've found lots of listings, which brings up a problem with free software for WM today - anyone can post a malicious application on the Web under the name of something worthwhile, and cause havoc to those unlucky enough to think they're running a good application. The new App stores are a way around this, but Microsoft has to catch up with Google and Apple - hopefully they'll do that quickly because there's great stuff out there.

Having said that, do you have a recommendation for some reliable sites that might have Format Factory?
    http://www.formatoz.com/
    Jeffp25 and blopez24 like this.
    10-23-2009 10:39 PM
    Nope, I want it all! BUT, I don't need it for navigation as I prefer the much bigger screen and features of my Tomtom 920T for that.

As for your comments about the browser, I'm finding it far easier/quicker/more reliable to access the Internet with the iPhone than I ever could with my Tilt, even with Opera Mini on my Tilt. But maybe that will be better with WM 6.5 on the Tilt 2.

For fun things, I still think that the iPhone is better. But for things that matter, the Tilt 2 might be better - we'll see.

I went into this as a firm WM user, having always avoided Apple products. My wife convinced me to try the iPhone, and I've tried to do so with an open mind. I've used it enough to see the advantages and problems, and it will be tough to choose. Maybe what I really need is an HTC HD2 running WM7, but that won't be out for a year.

Or, you could just wait 6 months for the HTC HD 2 to come out. It looks like it'll have all the things you want in the iPhone with all of the important elements of a WM device. If you don't do that much surfing outside of a Wifi zone, then you could conceivably get it soon (i.e. November when it comes stateside). I'm on the fence myself as I'm a long time Tilt owner myself. I've played with the iPhone and it's nice and user friendly, however, with all of the custom ROMs and hacks that I've incorporated into my Tilt, I can't really see myself selling out to the iPhone crowd. In any case, g'luck with the decision.
    10-23-2009 11:28 PM
    OK, so if I can find a Tilt2 this weekend, one of the first things I'll need to find is a good video converter, that can take my existing videos and convert them to the best format for the Tilt. Any recommendations?

It depends on what type of videos you have. Could you be more specific? As a general rule, anything that takes advantage of the Tilt2's 400x800 screen should be fine. I've found that Cinemaforge is a nice little app that I've been using to convert all my videos to mp4 format. The videos work well with my gf's iphone and my Tilt... and the best part is that it's free.
    10-23-2009 11:29 PM
    My videos are mostly in AVI format - a format that covers so many sub-formats that this doesn't help that much! Mostly, I transfer things from cable to my Archos 705 DVR and then copy them to my PC. A 2 hour recording is about 2 GB. I've used the converter with my Sansa Fuze to convert them and watch them on that. I've used the converter with my Creative Labs Zen too, but both bring the resolution down lower than that on the Tilt 2. With the iPhone, I found a free converter that worked pretty well, creating MOV versions. So, I have at least four formats of many videos!

The iPhone worked very well and a video player, and the Tilt 2 should match - as long as I use the right converter. (I have an 8 GB micro SD card waiting, and will probably order a 16 GB one once I decide on keeping the Tilt 2.)
    10-24-2009 07:50 AM
    Or, you could just wait 6 months for the HTC HD 2 to come out.
    Yes, that is an option, but I've already waited about 6 months for the Touch Pro 2 to come out, and there's no certainty that AT&T will carry the phone. With WM7 coming out next year, there should be a lot of interesting phones coming. I may end up cutting my 2 year contract at 1 year (an paying the penalty) to get one of the new phones!

As for "selling out" by getting an iPhone, the fact is that the brand shouldn't matter. If the iPhone really is the best for your needs, why not get it? I came close to keeping it, as it does many things very well, but it does a few things that really bug me (no snooze option on calender alarms, for example), so it's going back.
    10-24-2009 07:55 AM
    I found that one, thanks for confirming it is ligit.
    10-24-2009 07:56 AM
    Great luck: I went to a major store in a local mall and they have them AND there are Microsoft reps out front handing out $100 off coupon. I'm heading back to my car to get the stuff to return my iPhone.
    10-24-2009 12:27 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD