iPhone or TP2/Tilt 2.

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
I've had my Tilt since the first week of release, and I was looking forward to an upgrade. I never use the physical keyboard on the Tilt, so a I thought a Diamond 2 would be perfect. Then I handled a Pure: the screen is so small that the virtual keyboard is virtually unusable. So that's out. I was waiting to see the Tilt 2, but then I heard that it won't have a 3.5mm jack - a major issue for me, as it means always carrying the adapter if I might want to listen to music/video.

My wife suggested I try an iPhone while I'm waiting - if I don't like it, I can always return it for only $30. So, I'm on day 3 with the iPhone. First, the good:

1. A 3.5mm jack.
2. A great screen.
3. It is a very good video and and music player.
4. Good voice recognition for dialing.
5. It has a very good browser.
6. It is a lot of fun to play with.

Now the bad:
1. There's no way to snooze a calender alarm - you can't say remind me again in an hour, but must edit the event.
2. Text editing is not easy, especially when the text is at the edge of the screen.
3. Managing multiple e-mail accounts is hard - too many steps to switch from one to the other.
4. No speed dial: You can't assign, for example, your home number to 5 and just press 5 on the dial pad.
5. Lack of multitasking for 3rd party apps.
I wasn't sure that the lack of multitasking would be an issue, but it means that no one but Apple can release, for example, a better keyboard, a better calender, a better e-mail manager, and have them function while anything else is running.

So, I don't know what I'll do. I'm not sure how I feel about the lack of buttons on the main body of the Tilt 2, the extra size/weight, and I'm certainly bothered by the lack of headphone jack. But the iPhone certainly has problems too. One will certainly be the most fun, and the best for games, video, and music, but the other may be best for everything else!

kxs783kms#WP

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
As you are in the TP2 forum, you know what my answer to what phone you should get would be. I found the only way to make the iphone better was to jailbreak it and install apps from Cydia. (*Don't know if you thought about this or tried it yet.*) But everything you mentioned in your post, can be found in there. Custom keyboards, backgrounder...which allows multiple apps to run in the background, custom calendars, email managers, etc. Now with that being said, there is a down side. Once you jailbreak your phone, it's been said or maybe proven (*don't know*) that it slows the phone down. If you're willing to take the chance, you can do that and keep the iphone. But here's the catch.....all of the goods that you mentioned for the iphone are equal to or better on the TP2. And the bads that you mentioned about the iphone would be goods for the TP2. For example....multitasking,etc. So why the confusion? TP2 is the way to go!!!

Last edited:

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
I know that I have to give the TP2 a chance - I just wish I could find one at the AT&T store (the last rumor I heard was that they should be available on Monday 10/19, but nothing certain). I could look at the ones at Sprint, etc., but there are enough differences between versions that it might to show me what I'd get.

When I travel, I end up taking my Tilt, an small MP3 player (Sansa Fuze), and a video player (Archos 705). It would be great to just take one device (which is why I bought the 32 GB iPod).

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
One more thing, in favor of the iPhone - all the third-party hardware. For example, I've found a remote for playing music in the car: it attaches to the iPhone and connects to the aux in and power, and works with a wireless remote that attaches to the steering wheel.

myriad46

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Concerning the lack of a 3.5mm jack and the need for an adapter. When I got my tilt, it came with a 2" long adapter with a mini usb connector on one end and a 3.5mm plug on the other. It's very tiny. If you are bringing your headphones anyway, why can't you leave the adapter attached to the headphones?

I was very tempted by the iphone until I thought about typing. And, you can modify the TP2 quite a bit without "jailbreaking" it with themes and shells. And, as i am sure you are noticing, AT&T is starting to suck with their contracts. They are going to start requiring an unlimited data plan on all smart phones. Prices are going up. Not sure where you live (service in your area), butit may be a good time to look into another company. Also AT&T's TP2 doesn't use the number row, it's got the same silly keypad shape as the Tilt, one of my personal problems with the Tilt.

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
AT&T phones get the best signal where I work, so I'm pretty much stuck with AT&T - I already have the unlimited data plan anyway.

I have more than one set of headphones. I keep a small set in the car, that I can grab if I'm going to be sitting in a waiting room somewhere, a big pair that I keep in the house, and a folding set with noise reduction for trips. I'd have to buy two more jack adapters if I wanted to keep one with my headphones. Make that three more as I'd need one in my car for the auxillary jack. Nope, four more, as I'd need one in my wife's car for when we want to listen to music on my phone when we're in her car!

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
If all you care about is music go with the iPhone. If you want to be able to surf the internet, run Sprint navigation while listening to music or Slingbox then answer a call go back navigation it auto updates your location even with the data connect interrupted by the call. End the call and the music starts playing without me even toughing the phone. I have been married for 18 years I love my wife but hers is the only face I want to have to see every day of my life. That is why I re skin my TP2 at least once a week. Did I mention that I wrote this post using my TP2 with this great qwerty I don't even need my laptop anymore. But like I said if all you need is music keep the iPhone.

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
If all you care about is music go with the iPhone.

Nope, I want it all! BUT, I don't need it for navigation as I prefer the much bigger screen and features of my Tomtom 920T for that.

As for your comments about the browser, I'm finding it far easier/quicker/more reliable to access the Internet with the iPhone than I ever could with my Tilt, even with Opera Mini on my Tilt. But maybe that will be better with WM 6.5 on the Tilt 2.

For fun things, I still think that the iPhone is better. But for things that matter, the Tilt 2 might be better - we'll see.

I went into this as a firm WM user, having always avoided Apple products. My wife convinced me to try the iPhone, and I've tried to do so with an open mind. I've used it enough to see the advantages and problems, and it will be tough to choose. Maybe what I really need is an HTC HD2 running WM7, but that won't be out for a year.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
So what's your real question here? It seams you already have all the real data you need to make an intelligent decision. You came in the the TP2 forum to post so I assume you are looking for a bunch of iPhone bashers to beat up on the iPhone and convince you to switch back to WinMo. Now it seams like you are trying to defend the fruit phone. You remember you are posting at WMExperts in the Touch Pro 2 forum where the PRO'S hang out. I'm just saying....

wagadesa#WN

Apr 5, 2001
Visit site
Hmm... Very Good Point

So what's your real question here? It seams you already have all the real data you need to make an intelligent decision. You came in the the TP2 forum to post so I assume you are looking for a bunch of iPhone bashers to beat up on the iPhone and convince you to switch back to WinMo. Now it seams like you are trying to defend the fruit phone. You remember you are posting at WMExperts in the Touch Pro 2 forum where the PRO'S hang out. I'm just saying....

I concur...:hmm:

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
So what's your real question here? It seams you already have all the real data you need to make an intelligent decision...

But I don't have all the data I need, as I haven't used a WM phone newer than Tilt.

Here's an example. In my car, I can hook up the iPhone to the power outlet and to the auxiliary in jack, then have it play music through my car. If I want to make a call, I can press a button on my third-party Bluetooth earpiece, to make a call: - the music will pause, I'll hear a beep in my ear, I can say, for example, "Call Sam Mobile" and the phone will search through my contacts, find the mobile/cell phone number for Sam, and make the call. Once I press the button to hang up, the music resumes. It all integrates well together. Can I do this easily with the Tilt 2? My experience with older WM phones is that I couldn't do the whole thing without touching the phone, but maybe it would all be just as easy with the Tilt 2.

So, I've come here to find out IF I could get a new WM phone work as well as the things I like about the iPhone, trying to learn from the pros who've used the newer phones. I was also hoping to find responses from people who've used an iPhone extensively and decided to keep/switch to a WM phone.

I'm still on the fence, as there are things I love about the iPhone and things that I hate, but I can't choose sides without more information the Tilt 2 than is shown in reviews.

Zookeeper

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
I think this phone will support the earpiece function you would like to have. I found the following from a review of the phone.

This phone also provides Bluetooth wireless connectivity (version 2.0), and includes profiles for communication headset, hands-free car kits, and file transfer. With the A2DP Bluetooth profile, you can stream your music to a pair of compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones. Additionally, the Touch Pro 2 includes integrated Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g), enabling you to connect to home and corporate wireless networks as well as hotspots in airports and coffee shops while on the go

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
But I don't have all the data I need, as I haven't used a WM phone newer than Tilt.

Here's an example. In my car, I can hook up the iPhone to the power outlet and to the auxiliary in jack, then have it play music through my car. If I want to make a call, I can press a button on my third-party Bluetooth earpiece, to make a call: - the music will pause, I'll hear a beep in my ear, I can say, for example, "Call Sam Mobile" and the phone will search through my contacts, find the mobile/cell phone number for Sam, and make the call. Once I press the button to hang up, the music resumes. It all integrates well together. Can I do this easily with the Tilt 2? My experience with older WM phones is that I couldn't do the whole thing without touching the phone, but maybe it would all be just as easy with the Tilt 2.

So, I've come here to find out IF I could get a new WM phone work as well as the things I like about the iPhone, trying to learn from the pros who've used the newer phones. I was also hoping to find responses from people who've used an iPhone extensively and decided to keep/switch to a WM phone.

I'm still on the fence, as there are things I love about the iPhone and things that I hate, but I can't choose sides without more information the Tilt 2 than is shown in reviews.

Now that's a question I can wrap my brain around.

OK here is how it works for me I don't use any devices that plug in so maybe someone else can tell us if it works the same way I have all Bluetooth devices.

The scene I am driving down the road I have my TP2 connected to my Motorola T505 using the stereo audio profile only with the FM transmitter broadcast to my Truck stereo playing music from my 800+ songs stored on my SD Card. I have my Blueant Z9i connected to my TP2 using the hands free connection I tap the button on my Z9i Microsoft Voice command takes over stopping the music I hear in my ear "say command" I say "Call name here" I hear "Call name here" I say "yes" the call is dialed. After the call is completed the music starts playing and after a few seconds the call dial screen goes away and touch flow is displayed on the screen again. If a call comes in the music stops playing the PPC begins to ring with the sound coming through my truck speakers I tap the answer button on my Z9i the call is routed through my Z9i when the call is complete again the music starts playing the cycle continues. I believe this is how it would work with your TP2 connected through the plug in connection it would taking the place of my T505. I hope that answers your question.

What else you got?

Dave :cool:

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
Great, thanks.

I can buy a remote for the iPhone so that I can change tracks while driving without touching the phone (it attaches to the steering wheel), or I can press the Voice Command button on my Blue Ant and say "next track". Are either options workable with the TP2?

By the way, I sat in my car in the cold for over an hour today waiting for my daughter, watching recorded video on my iPhone. By the end, the iPhone became very unresponsive to my dry hands because of the capacitive screen!

(Typed on my iPhone.)

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
I see that there is a workable remote option; HTC make a remote control headphone set where the headphones can be replaced with any standard set. That would allow me to connect the output of the remote to Aux In on my car - not as good as the iPhone wireless remote, but workable.

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
Here's another big one for me against the iPhone.

I have it set up to sync my e-mail, contacts, and calender with Exchange, as I need that for work. I also set up iTunes on my home PC to sync the contacts and calender. However, none of the calender events I enter on my iPhone sync with my home PC! I've checked the settings, and it says that they will sync, but they don't.

I really hope I can get my hands on a Tilt 2 soon and check it out!

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I have been bowling all night and I am to drunk to comment . I will do some testing tomorrow and get back to you :)

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
If all you care about is music go with the iPhone. If you want to be able to surf the internet, run Sprint navigation while listening to music or Slingbox then answer a call go back navigation it auto updates your location even with the data connect interrupted by the call. End the call and the music starts playing without me even toughing the phone. I have been married for 18 years I love my wife but hers is the only face I want to have to see every day of my life. That is why I re skin my TP2 at least once a week. Did I mention that I wrote this post using my TP2 with this great qwerty I don't even need my laptop anymore. But like I said if all you need is music keep the iPhone.

I noticed that on sprint nav. It is nice to answer the phone and then have the nav automatically get back going. (though it didn't the first time and I yelled at my wife for calling me). all other times it worked perfectly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss