iPhone or TP2/Tilt 2.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Great, thanks.

I can buy a remote for the iPhone so that I can change tracks while driving without touching the phone (it attaches to the steering wheel), or I can press the Voice Command button on my Blue Ant and say "next track". Are either options workable with the TP2?

By the way, I sat in my car in the cold for over an hour today waiting for my daughter, watching recorded video on my iPhone. By the end, the iPhone became very unresponsive to my dry hands because of the capacitive screen!

(Typed on my iPhone.)

Wow that sounds dangerous, you have to attach something to the steering wheel?! With my TP2 I just tap the call button on my Z9i the music stops and in my ear I hear a beep sound I say "Next" I hear "Next tract" windows media advances to the next tract. I can say previous and it will go back one tract or I can say Play artist it will list all the artist for me then I can chose one. Works for Artist, Album, Genre or anything. This doesn't work with the Touch Flow player so you have to be using Windows Media player.

I drove for 8 hours Friday watching Slingbox recorded TV shows from my DVR the shows took up ZERO memory on my PPC

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
I went searching today. I went to two closer stores and neither had one: at one place, the rep didn't know what I was talking about, and at the second they had a dummy one and said they expect to get their's on the 28th. I was running out of time (I had to be somewhere), but I headed out to a big store in a local mall. They had one on display, and had sold the two that they had for sale. I finally got to plan with one, but briefly because I was out of time. I was impressed with the speed of the screen scrolling when I brushed it with my finger - this has typically been a weekness of resistance touch screens, but the Tilt2 screen felt as responsive as the iPhone.

I'll keep looking. Maybe when I find one, I can talk them into selling me on a new phone number and then rolling it to my main account if I return the iPhone.

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
Hmm, what happened to my post? Let's try again.

While waiting for the Tilt 2 to become available, I've continued to play with the iPhone. Some more positives/negatives.

It was nice to be able to get in my car, hook up the iPhone to the Aux in jack on my radio, press the button on my Bluetooth and say "play music" and have it start playing MP3 files. Later on, I switched to the next track by pressing the button and saying "next song", and then selected an different album by saying "play album Across the Universe", and finally "play artist Pink Floyd". And then I pressed the button and said "call home home" and it dialed the entry on my phone for home, paused the music until I was done, and the went back to playing. I don't know if a Windows Mobile phone can do this so effortlessly.

On my Windows Mobile phone, I sync with my work contacts and calender automatically with Exchange. When I get home, I can connect to my home PC with a cable and sync with the contacts and calender at home. Because the phone keeps everything integrated, the contacts and calender on my home PC and work PC are essentially the same. With the iPhone, the two PCs are handled independently, and I can have the phone show just home stuff, just work stuff, or both - this is a plus if you want to keep home and work information segrated, but a minus if you want to keep everything synched (I do). In addition, if you want to add a contact from the "recent calls" list, you don't get a choice of where to put it: as far as I can tell, I can only add the contacts to my Exchange contact list, not to my personal contacts - which was a problem today when I wanted to add a personal contact. And once an item is in the Exchange contacts list, there's no easy way to move it. The Windows Mobile phones are definitely ahead here.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Hmm, what happened to my post? Let's try again. While waiting for the Tilt 2 to become available, I've continued to play with the iPhone. Some more positives/negatives.

It was nice to be able to get in my car, hook up the iPhone to the Aux in jack on my radio, press the button on my Bluetooth and say "play music" and have it start playing MP3 files. Later on, I switched to the next track by pressing the button and saying "next song", and then selected an different album by saying "play album Across the Universe", and finally "play artist Pink Floyd". And then I pressed the button and said "call home home" and it dialed the entry on my phone for home, paused the music until I was done, and the went back to playing. I don't know if a Windows Mobile phone can do this so effortlessly.

YES IT CAN

On my Windows Mobile phone, I sync with my work contacts and calender automatically with Exchange. When I get home, I can connect to my home PC with a cable and sync with the contacts and calender at home. Because the phone keeps everything integrated, the contacts and calender on my home PC and work PC are essentially the same. With the iPhone, the two PCs are handled independently, and I can have the phone show just home stuff, just work stuff, or both - this is a plus if you want to keep home and work information segrated, but a minus if you want to keep everything synched (I do). In addition, if you want to add a contact from the "recent calls" list, you don't get a choice of where to put it: as far as I can tell, I can only add the contacts to my Exchange contact list, not to my personal contacts - which was a problem today when I wanted to add a personal contact. And once an item is in the Exchange contacts list, there's no easy way to move it. The Windows Mobile phones are definitely ahead here.

NO IT CANT. Closest thing to this is storing contacts in groups

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
Does the WM voice recognition on the Tilt 2 work with everything, or just specific programs? With the iPhone, no matter what is running, I can press the button and say "Call Fred" and it will switch to the phone and call, or I can say "play music" and it will switch to the music player and start.

As for the need to store contacts in groups to come close to the iPhone feature, I think that's a good thing, as I hate the way the iPhone does it.

kxs783kms#WP

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
Okay Jeffp25. If you keep asking can this do this or do that like the iphone, then why not just keep the iphone. If not, just get the Tilt2 and try it out for 30 days. (*Plenty of time to see if it does all of the things that you are looking for.*) If it doesn't stack up, then return it. I continue to read this thread and I swear that I'm on an iphone web site. (*LOL*)

arthurbrownleeiv

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
The Voice Command works in no matter what program you are in... WinMo is a true multi-tasking OS unlike the iPhone... So yes, no matter when, the VC is going to kick on and ask you what you want to do.

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
<If not, just get the Tilt2 and try it out for 30 days.>

Simple answer - I haven't been able to find one or I'd have done just that.

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
The Voice Command works in no matter what program you are in... WinMo is a true multi-tasking OS unlike the iPhone... So yes, no matter when, the VC is going to kick on and ask you what you want to do.

But the iPhone works the same way. It does true multitasking, but only with Apple applications.

I'm happy to hear the Tilt 2 can match the iPhone here.

arthurbrownleeiv

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
But the iPhone works the same way. It does true multitasking, but only with Apple applications.

I'm happy to hear the Tilt 2 can match the iPhone here.

I don't call that true multitasking if only certain apps will multitask. Glad the iPhone can somewhat match what WinMo has done for 10 years.

Does Voice Command come with the Tilt 2 or will I have to buy it?

Built in with their ROM I believe. If not search is your friend.

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
I don't call that true multitasking if only certain apps will multitask. Glad the iPhone can somewhat match what WinMo has done for 10 years.

More on multi-tasking. On the way home today, I connected the iPhone to power and the auxillary in jack, and then started the map application to monitor traffic on my route. While that application was active, I pressed the button on my Bluetooth earpiece and said "play music" and the music started, with the map application still showing traffic and my location. While the map was active and the music was playing, I pressed the button and said "call home" and called home, with both applications (map and music) resuming when I hung up. Out of curiosity, I started the Facebook application while waiting at a traffic light, the music continued, and I could dial out without Facebook having any problem - starting the map application again was almost instant, showing traffic and my location.

So, while the iPhone doesn't multitask everything, most times that's not a problem. Now, a Tilt 2 I could do all the above, and unlike the iPhone, I could have done it with a third party music player (maybe having Pandora running in the background), so the Tilt 2 is ahead here, but the iPhone isn't that bad.

Apple claim that they limit multitasking to prevent the processor being overloaded by background applications, which slows everything down and eats battery life - both of which most of us have run into with WM phones. On the other hand, I prefer to have the choice - there are times I'm willing to sacrifice speed and battery life for convenience.

I'm still hoping to pick up a Tilt 2 this weekend.

tester24

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Personally I love my TP2, it's pretty quick does mostly what the iPhone can do (and more). I like it because I dont need to jail break my phone, windows encourages you to personalize your phone. I like i can remove the battery. The touchscreen is pretty responsive (not as good as a capacitive but pretty darn good). If you go verizon you will have the 3.5 mm jack. Data service for verizon is cheaper than the iPhone as well.

Not saying iPhone is a bad phone it's really not but it lacks the freedoms other phones have. But that's apple for you.

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
If I was switching to Verizon, I'd be tempted by the Droid! But I'm sticking with AT&T because it gets better service at my home and work.

arthurbrownleeiv

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
Apple claim that they limit multitasking to prevent the processor being overloaded by background applications, which slows everything down and eats battery life - both of which most of us have run into with WM phones. On the other hand, I prefer to have the choice - there are times I'm willing to sacrifice speed and battery life for convenience.

Didn't most of that come after the 3.0 update though? I believe it increased the amount of multitasking that could be done.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster