Skype on the Touch Pro 2

kraski

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
The site's front page includes an article about Skype discontinuing WM development. In the article, it mentions fring as a better alternative, anyway. Then comes the "fun" of getting fring. When you go to select a phone, Touch Pro 2, Rhodium & Tilt2 are not among the choices fot HTC or AT&T. Selecting either WM 5/6 or "other Wm phone" gets a .sis file, which I'm sure most of us know will only work on Symbian phones, not WM phones. So, what phone do I select or what hoops do I jump through to get a version of fring that will work properly on a Tilt2?

TIA

Bill

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Try going to m.fring.com from your phone, and download that way. I had the same problem with the desktop site. Weird.

The site's front page includes an article about Skype discontinuing WM development. In the article, it mentions fring as a better alternative, anyway. Then comes the "fun" of getting fring. When you go to select a phone, Touch Pro 2, Rhodium & Tilt2 are not among the choices fot HTC or AT&T. Selecting either WM 5/6 or "other Wm phone" gets a .sis file, which I'm sure most of us know will only work on Symbian phones, not WM phones. So, what phone do I select or what hoops do I jump through to get a version of fring that will work properly on a Tilt2?

TIA

Bill

waldo15

Apr 21, 2006
Visit site
From my PC I downloaded a .EXE file. I have not yet installed Skype in my VZW TP2 but the file I have. I also have the CAB file that I got about a year ago (dunno if there was an update since).

Question to Mods: the Skype file I have it's a rather hefty file (10+ MB). Can I post it in the forums?

kraski

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
I tried that. It was also trying to give me a symbian installation file or tell me there's no version available for my phone. It didn't seem to matter whether I was using IE, Iris or Opera. :confused:

Well, link by sms didn't work over the weekend, but did late this morning. That link does give the proper cab file. All the other options I tried for anything even close to a Tilt2 still offer me a .sis file.

kraski

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
From my PC I downloaded a .EXE file. I have not yet installed Skype in my VZW TP2 but the file I have. I also have the CAB file that I got about a year ago (dunno if there was an update since).

Question to Mods: the Skype file I have it's a rather hefty file (10+ MB). Can I post it in the forums?

My issues were in getting fring, which includes skype compatibility. Since skype no longer supports WM, I didn't want to deal with issues skype might never answer or fix.

waldo15

Apr 21, 2006
Visit site
My issues were in getting fring, which includes skype compatibility. Since skype no longer supports WM, I didn't want to deal with issues skype might never answer or fix.

I used Skype in my Treo Pro (WM 6.1) and had no issues. Actually I was able to talk to my in-laws who were visiting Europe at the time while I was in the hospital room right after wife and I had our very first baby last year :p. All done over the ATT crapstacular 3G network... the Skype part at least.

kraski

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
I used Skype in my Treo Pro (WM 6.1) and had no issues. Actually I was able to talk to my in-laws who were visiting Europe at the time while I was in the hospital room right after wife and I had our very first baby last year :p. All done over the ATT crapstacular 3G network... the Skype part at least.

Still have my Treo Pro as an alternate phone. If AT&T hadn't offered me such a great deal on the Tilt2, it'd probably still be my main phone. Although my eyes are grateful for the larger screen. ;) My concern with unsupported skype software isn't that it won't function in WM 5-6.1. I've had a number of things I've needed to find more modern alternatives for & my favorite Bible app is no longer usable because it & other apps don't support the Tilt2's WVGA resolution or have issues with WM 6.5 that weren't there in 6.1 or earlier. And, if the present version of skype has similar issues, there's no support & no forthcoming fixed version.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
my pocket bible 4 from Laridian works just fine actually looks even beter and the larger screen on the pure is very nice on the eyes. www.laridian.com is the site my healthmaster to track meds dr visits and glucose etc works just fine with the wp 6.5 as well. But your concerns are justified.

kraski

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
my pocket bible 4 from Laridian works just fine actually looks even beter and the larger screen on the pure is very nice on the eyes. www.laridian.com is the site my healthmaster to track meds dr visits and glucose etc works just fine with the wp 6.5 as well. But your concerns are justified.

I'm going to look at Laridian. I have OliveTree & love it. They also make versions for Symbian, Blackberry, iPhone & Android. So, if I ever switch phone OS, I can still use the free & purchased Bibles, references, etc. Their policy is that the user, not the phone or OS, is the licensee. Upgrades are free.

Pocket e-Sword was my favorite for study tool, though. It was free, laid out just right for studying, had a bunch of very useful free & paid add-ons. All you needed was a pad & pen, plus your WM phone -- travel light. Unfortunately, it has issues with my WVGA screen -- getting 1-2 verses on screen is pretty useless -- especially with the screen real estate the Tilt2 offers. There were a couple of unsuccessful attempts to fix that. So, the author has now halted development & support. And I'm looking for a replacement.

kraski

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
Try going to m.fring.com from your phone, and download that way. I had the same problem with the desktop site. Weird.

As I posted, later in this thread, the SMS link finally came on a retry & that worked. After I installed it, I remembered why I took it off my Treo Pro, a year ago. There were issues with my data connection that, on the Treo Pro, required a hard reset before they were resolved. At least on my Tilt2, it only took a couple of soft resets, over several hours, to return to normal. So, now to see if there's a way to get Waldo's skype cab. Or forget the idea of using my Tilt2 as both a mobile handset & a skype handset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo