Problems With Touch Pro

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
Every phone, especially before the first ROM update comes out, there are always some problems with the phone. If you find any, list it here.

We can then see if it is wide spread and try to find a fix for it.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Things like this are why I don't like using carrier branded phones. I don't understand why they can be allowed to just disable phones so much for their own purposes. That's very anti-consumer by denial of the original options and choices.

The bad thing is there's no other way to get the CDMA version and the unlocked GSM version is likely too high at this time. I can't wait to see what they disable or lock down to their services on the AT&T version.

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
I agree with the carrier lock on the cell phones. Back in the 50s AT&T dictated what phone you were allowed to buy for your home and which ones you could not. That was outlawed. There is no difference between that and what Cell Carriers are allowed to do now.

Sure they can sell phones anyway they want to, but they should not be allowed to restrict the freedom of the customer to forbidding them from buying a phone from a someone else.

trwm

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
So far my experience w/ my Sprint Touch Pro has been borderline fantastic. One thing I am concerned about is battery life. I still have to work on some of the WM reg edits but a curious thing is the fact that the phone screen just comes on every now & then most of the time when there is no type of alert coming across. Any1 experiencing this?

bduerr1

Nov 8, 2008
Visit site
Screen on

So far my experience w/ my Sprint Touch Pro has been borderline fantastic. One thing I am concerned about is battery life. I still have to work on some of the WM reg edits but a curious thing is the fact that the phone screen just comes on every now & then most of the time when there is no type of alert coming across. Any1 experiencing this?

I have been using the Pro for abaout a week now and it deffinately has a battery problem. it also seems that the batterylife indicator is a little biased to going faster as the battery deminishes . .

As far as the screen, I see the same thing. I suspect that there are events going on inthe background like downloading emails, updating weather, IMs, etc that cause it to lite up.

Also there seems to be some Spd stuff in the device like parts of their Shell and Dialer. If you play with the dialer and upload new skins the original WM6.1 dialer comes up.

Any it is a really, really cool phone . . . .

bigkenny

Oct 7, 2004
Visit site
Here is what i just posted to treocentral, pretty much my take on the phone (after the first few days). Overall, i love it! as with anything, it can get better...but some of my complaints are getting to the point where i say im nitpicking. Probably my biggest complaint is similar to above, quit letting carriers strip features/hardware/software and bastardizing your phones! it be cheaper/easier/better if HTC only had to maintain one hardware set and one ROM set? ok, maybe 2, one for CDMA, one for GSM, but man, every carrier gets thier own flavor.

anyway...heres what i said:

Just got my touch pro and all i can say is bye-bye palm, finally for good. I have said this in the past, but the HTC phones just didnt have enough for me to switch. The touch pro finally does IMO. I am going to comment on your main disadvantages, again, these are my opinions. Keep in mind all of my comments are based on the SPRINT model:

Rather bulky and heavy: Compared to a touch diamond, yes. Compared to a centro, no. It is not that much bigger and looks much better. Considering what is packed into this thing...i will take the larger size. It is not bigger than an 800w.

Fingerprint prone: Yes, but so was my palm screens. not an issue to me, no worse than say an iphone.

Average sunlight legibility: Not from what i have seen. If you need to, crank up the backlight (at the expense of battery), it is WAY brighter than the 800w.

No standard 3.5mm audio jack: I was disappointed in this as well. at least it has a dongle that supports 3.5 (no more adapters) and charging at the same time. But you still have this big dongle hanging on there. This is one of my only big disappointments on this device. When will they learn?

Back panel design hurts usability: I am not sure how or what this means? the back panel is a matte finish silver that is flush. not fingerprint prone and rounded edges, fits me fine.

Limited scroll wheel usage: Agreed, but since i am left handed, i dont care about scoll wheels as they are ALWAYS on the wrong side for me. Also, the touch and slide motion on the screen allows you to scroll, it takes some getting used to.

No adequate storage memory out of the box: it comes with a 1GB card. Is that enough? not for me, but i think it is adequate.

Here are my main complaints/observations:
No backup software: had to buy sprite. not that big of a deal, but if you read the HTC pro manual from HTC, it was originally included. sprint must have stripped it to save a few bucks.

no FM radio: i am not sure how much i would use this, but it is in the original spec and manual (not the sprint manual). it also appears you cannot activate it with a custom rom like the diamond. this would be great for at the gym to watch tv.

no front camera: yet another thing sprint must have taken out. again, not sure how much i would use this, but i dont like reading the HTC version of the manual and seeing what could/should be in there.

keyboard: keyboard is good, but just like the 6700, the top row is very close to the screen. those of us with big thumbs/fingers have to get used to this to type numbers. it is nice that they added the 5th row for numbers....you dont have to hit fn as much.

lack of buttons/user configurable buttons: i wish there were a couple of user changeable buttons somewhere on this thing. if you go to the area to customize the buttons, there is only one option, the middle button. everyone uses these differently, and it is really nice to have hardware buttons to get to the 2-4 things you do most. you can however set the end call key to switch from vibrate/tone for ringer/messages just by holding it. i love that. not quite the hardware switch like palm, but finally a viable alternative for a non palm phone.

battery life: now im not going to be one of those people who complain about this and have:
5 different apps running
an echange account and hotmail set to push
3 imap accounts that autosync
4 radios always on (CDMA, bluetooth, GPS , WiFi)
screen set to 100% brightness
playing music

beware, if you are going from a POS operated device, to this that all of these features come with a price...battery life. the life is WAY lower than my centro or 755 ever was, but it can do more. I will just have to be in the habit of always plugging this in when i have too. it is nice that it uses a mini usb cable, i have them on every computer, my car charger and the outlet by my bed. i will use this for everything it can do, but understand i will have to be charging it off and on throughout the day.

touchFLO tutorial: i usually do not watch these, but a very short tutorial of the finger gestures would have been helpfull. i figured out most of the gestures on my own, but reading the manual showed me a couple i didn't know (zooming). I, like most people, do not read the manual before using a device. similar to how WM makes you do that copy paste action in the initial setup, but maybe not required EVERY time you do a hard reset.

touchFLO can be slow: there are still times it pauses a bit, but NOTHING lilke the 6800 where it took 5 seconds to go from picture to landscape mode or lagged 4 seconds when looking up contacts in my long list.

That being said, i still think this is a great device and the first non palm phone that will keep me from going back.

OK now here are a few things i like (in addition to above):

-The touchFLO interface is pretty, yet functional. is it perfect? no, but it does a decent job. It give the phone a bit more of the iphone feel, but with windows. i wish the folks in redmond had hired the touchflo designers a few years ago. HTC has done a good job with what they could, but there are many area where it is still the old (and clunky) WM.

-the touch screen works good (better than TFT)

- i like the zoom wheel action. basically to zoom in and out of pics and apps like google maps, you can just do a finger swipe in a circle around the select button. clockwise to zoom in, counter to zoom out).

- the motion sensor is cool. like the iphone, when you rotate the phone, it will go into landscape mode on some apps.

- i actually don't mind the HTC screen keyboard....great for small messages and it is fairly accurate. it seems to me that it was easier to type (with accuracy) on the pro screen than the apple onscreen KB. the slide out KB is great for long emails....best of both worlds.

- love the magnetic stylus. i am sure i will still lose it, but not from falling out. some apps (not many) will behave differently if you pull it out. phone app will open notes if you are on a call.

that's it. other pro users/trial users let me know if you agree/disagree or have other POV's.

last, i think that picture you have posted at the top is the diamond, not the pro. the front is similar, but the back of the pro is silver and has a flash for the camera.

Last edited:

skfny

Nov 1, 2002
Visit site
Has anyone been able to get the GPS to work in standalone mode? I hope this doesn't stir up the 800w horrors, but I have not been able to get a signal unless the cell radio is on. Hope I'm doing something wrong.

trwm

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
A couple more observations:
-No doubt the 3.5m audio jack would be nice but don't forget the bt headphones especially with the Motorola s9-hd option - very nice
-Keyboard has not worked for me, I think my fingers are too big and keys are too close together, that having been said, the Diamond would not have worked for me because I personally wanted the sd card and second I got my graffiti back (block recognizer) works great - ok give me a break, sometimes old school is good school.
-I am being palgued by the dreaded Active Sync unresolved items on my Outlook notes, I am getting by but can't quite find the source.
-Battery life is a bit of a sore spot though I know I am just going to have to pony up the extra bucks to keep an extra battery charged.

All this said, I still think this phone is great and has a lot to offer. So far, I am in for the long haul.

R1_Rydah

Oct 23, 2004
Visit site
other than the picturemail program being buggy, it's everything I expected.. I did my homework, so I knew about the lack of hard keys, and 3.5m jack... maybe I have just been lucky, but my device is rock solid... unless something goes terribly wrong, I don't even see the need to update the rom, once xda starts pushing them out...

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
unless something goes terribly wrong, I don't even see the need to update the rom, once xda starts pushing them out...
For the most part I agree as well. The one exception would be to fix the GPS lag.

I usually buy my phones the first day they come out...in other words the version that has all the Bugs that has everyone desperately waiting for that first ROM update. This is the first phone in years that I am not itching for that first ROM update. The sound quality is good. The BT stack is excellent. No unexpected hangups. No reception issues. No memory issues. They actually did a good job in testing this one. :thumbsup:

AvengerBB

Nov 19, 2007
Visit site
I agree with the carrier lock on the cell phones. Back in the 50s AT&T dictated what phone you were allowed to buy for your home and which ones you could not. That was outlawed. There is no difference between that and what Cell Carriers are allowed to do now.

Sure they can sell phones anyway they want to, but they should not be allowed to restrict the freedom of the customer to forbidding them from buying a phone from a someone else.

If you buy the phone at full price or if it's already unlocked you can use it on any GSM carrier. If you don't want to take the carrier's money to reduce the price of the phone in exhange for a commitment of service, you don't have to.

EDIT: Just realized you are probably referring to CDMA. Oh well...

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
Anyone else having problems synchronizing Outlook notes with ActiveSync 4.5 across the USB connection?

The Outlook "notes" app or notes within an Outlook contact? The Outlook notes app has never synced but notes within an Outlook contact should.

trwm

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
The Outlook "notes" app or notes within an Outlook contact? The Outlook notes app has never synced but notes within an Outlook contact should.

I was referring to the Outlook notes app. It is in the default list of information types along with Contacts, Calendar, and Tasks.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
I was referring to the Outlook notes app. It is in the default list of information types along with Contacts, Calendar, and Tasks.

WM has never supported this (for whatever reason) - you can sync OneNote with your phone, but not the notes in Outlook.

trwm

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
WM has never supported this (for whatever reason) - you can sync OneNote with your phone, but not the notes in Outlook.

Thanks for the information. Microsoft should remove 'Notes' from the ActiveSync available information types.

As an alternative approach, I am going to setup a new contact for each note then delete my Outlook Notes.

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
Has anyone been able to get the GPS to work in standalone mode? I hope this doesn't stir up the 800w horrors, but I have not been able to get a signal unless the cell radio is on. Hope I'm doing something wrong.
Yup. I turned off the phone, data, BT, push email, etc... and my GPS worked great with the Sprint Navigation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)