Phone call quality (Hobbsie)?

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
I am thinking seriously about a Pro (so much nicer than the Mogul, IMHO) but I still need a solid phone as this is my business line. How's the call quality on the Pro?

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
This is my phone for my day job. I am a district manager on the road a great deal and handle a lot of phone calls in a wide range of enviroments. So far, I am still very impressed with call quality. No dropped calls. No static or echoes. It has also worked great with all the BT devices that I have tried with it so far....including 3 yr old headset to brand new ones just on the market.

moderateinny

Dec 3, 2006
Visit site
This is my phone for my day job. I am a district manager on the road a great deal and handle a lot of phone calls in a wide range of enviroments. So far, I am still very impressed with call quality. No dropped calls. No static or echoes. It has also worked great with all the BT devices that I have tried with it so far....including 3 yr old headset to brand new ones just on the market.

I just picked this phone up two days ago (getting rid of my iPhone 3G). So far I love the sound quality and stability of the phone. I wish it had more buttons though...still trying to get used to that.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
Another related question - how quick can you make a speed dial call? I use speed dial on my Q9c a lot. I pick up the phone, press the Home softkey to wake it up, press and hold X button to sped dial a number. I don't have a Diamond or TP on me yet - but I believe you would wake it up (how?), press the green call button which would bring up the dial-pad and then press and hold the appropriate number for a speed dial call. Is that close?

Can someone also take me through looking up a contact and dialing? The Q9c is simple - wake up the phone and start typing a name, highlight the contact and press the green call button.

Thanks!

softmagnet

Oct 18, 2007
Visit site
There?s a four ways to do it ?

1. in Touch Flo hit the ?people? icon and if you have set this up as favorites then you choose (scroll) the one you want, and touch it again and it dials. Easiest and fastest.

2. In the home screen you can hit the soft key (touch) and choose you contact and dial from that.

3. Hit the phone key (left one) and either start dialing and known numbers will show up, or go through the contacts that are there as well (soft key).

4. with the keyboard, just start typing and names will show up, touch the one you want and it will dial.

Waking this device up happens two ways, hit the power button, which I?ve finally gotten used to, or pull the stylus or keyboard out. I've only had this device for about 2 weeks so I'm sure I can learn something new.

Last edited by a moderator:

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site

1. in Touch Flo hit the ?people? icon and if you have set this up as favorites then you choose (scroll) the one you want, and touch it again and it dials. Easiest and fastest.

2. In the home screen you can hit the soft key (touch) and choose you contact and dial from that.

3. Hit the phone key (left one) and either start dialing and known numbers will show up, or go through the contacts that are there as well (soft key).

4. with the keyboard, just start typing and names will show up, touch the one you want and it will dial.

Waking this device up happens two ways, hit the power button, which I?ve finally gotten used to, or pull the stylus or keyboard out. I've only had this device for about 2 weeks so I'm sure I can learn something new.

Sweet - all of those methods will work well enough for me. Thanks alot!

Now I really need to determine if I need that Pro w/the kb - Diamond might do me well enough.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
sound quality is very good.

Softmagnet thanks for posting the tips. I'm still trying to get my hands used to not having a front facing keyboard.

Bubba... my thoughts on the keyboard is that I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. The Diamond is very attractive but it's been traumatic enough getting used to not having a front facing keyboard that I would hate to imagine life without one completely.

Anonymouse

Jan 26, 2006
Visit site

This is probably one of the things I will miss the most about leaving the Treo. I loved just being able to unlock the phone and hold down one of the keyboard letters (usually the first letter of the person's name for easy reference) and have it start dialing.

With the TP it looks like I'll have to push the power button, tap the "people" icon, and then tap the person I want speed-dialed. Not a whole lot longer, but I have to pay more attention, since I have to go to the people tab first, and can't just blindly hold down the button.

softmagnet

Oct 18, 2007
Visit site
I came from a Treo as well. The hardware answer button broke so I was forced into buying a new device. I tried an Epix, but the sync issue was a deal breaker. The Fuze/Touch Pro is an infinitely better device then the Epix.

Getting used to not having the Palm "special sauce" was difficult, but it can be done. :D

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com

All great tips....I would just one note to point 3. In the phone app, you can start typing the Name of your contact using the phone pad and it will find your connact as well.

One more (maybe point 5) that I use a lot is Phone history. On the Home screen (or from the phone app) hit phone history and simply scroll down to a recent out going call, incoming call, or missed call. If you are playing phone tag with someone this is by far often times the quickest way.

PGR

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
This is probably one of the things I will miss the most about leaving the Treo. I loved just being able to unlock the phone and hold down one of the keyboard letters (usually the first letter of the person's name for easy reference) and have it start dialing.
Of all things Treo, I miss the Treo Voice Dialing by VoiceSignal the most. There are still times, however brief, that I consider going back to a Palm Treo so I can use that program again.

I keep waiting for someone to come out with a similar program for a WM device, but I'm starting to think it's never going to happen.

Pete

bioart#WP

Aug 22, 2000
Visit site
Having been a long time treo user, I could not believe how much better the touch pro sounded over the Treo... I had thought I was going deaf :)

dvdmon

Jun 28, 2004
twelveblackcodemonkeys.com
Perhaps the Pro is a very different phone from the 800w, but I found the 800w's voice quality pretty poor, especially the speakerphone. In fact the speakerphone on mine was so bad that I couldn't use it unless I lowered the volume down below half. Not to mention that it resets the bluetooth headset volume to the lowest level every time you connect to it. The Touch Pro has none of these problems. It just works.

nmoreman

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
I'm also new playing with phone. As far as voice dial, from Home screen, tap Phone, depress bottom left key and speak. It will verify, pull up screen, then tap. Worked for me, didn't have this on my Centro (refused to pay for option).

PGR

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
Yup, love the voice dialing. It's Microsoft Voice Command and it works great. Like the Treo Voice Dialing by VoiceSignal, it requires no training. It just automatically indexes all your contacts and more. You can also launch programs and access your appointments with voice commands and it works perfectly with a bluetooth headset.

As for call quality, I'm pleased! Much better than my Mogul. The ringer, alerts, alarms, and speakerphone are also quite a bit louder (if you want them to be). That was another gripe I had with the Mogul: It was volume-challenged.

I should add that on my Sprint Touch Pro, you launch Voice Commander by pressing and holding the talk button for a couple of seconds after you wake the phone up. It's not necessary to wake the phone up if you're using a Bluetooth headset, though. Just tap the answer/hangup button on the headset.

Pete

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12