01-10-2009 09:03 PM
176 1234 ...
tools
    didnt read EVERBODY elses post, so dont know if u got an answer yet but a funny thing with my device is that windows device database didnt recognize my device until active sync did.

After activesync found it, device database did too
    11-17-2008 06:52 AM
    And the old faithful advice - turn off the advanced networking option, and then kill your firewall/antivirus.
    I believe Alli is correct. I have Vista Ultimate and I had to disable the advanced networking to get the sync to work. (Start --> Settings --> Connections--> USB to PC)
    11-17-2008 12:46 PM
    I have never had any luck with connecting any Windows Mobile devices on Vista, Win XP and the device always works fine, but Vista craps out everytime!
    11-17-2008 01:41 PM
    Vista is not the best platform to be syncing with.
    11-17-2008 03:25 PM
    I have another question:

I want to use the YouTube app but it's not listed in the Apps and Games. I read that you need to copy it from the Windows Directory. I found it and copied it but don't know how to paste it. Which key on the QWERTY keyboard is Cntrl?

Thanks!
    I think more and more manufacturer's are setting up Windows Mobile so that if a program is on the start menu, it isn't listed in programs. For example, Opera is listed on my start menu, but it is not listed when you select programs.

But if you go to Settings...Menus.... you can unselect the menu item and it will re-appear in the Programs listing.

The system is doing in the background (at least on my Sprint Touch Pro) the same thing everyone is recommending you do with a copy and paste of the link.

To trouble shoot your Mobile Device Manager issue, the first step is to make sure that Windows Vista sees your Fuze over USB. To start Device Manager click the Start button and then right click on Computer and select Manage. At that point computer management should have on option for Device Manager.

Microsoft has been doing so much to make enterprise IT managers happy lately they are making things harder on users. Mobile Device Manager is looking for a network connection to your PDA (yup it gets an IP address any everything). Look for a Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter under network adapters. If it isn't there look to see if there is a device under Portable Devices. If it isn't in either place, try showing hidden devices (by clicking on View... Show Hidden Devices).

All the other recommendations about hard reset, re-install Mobile Device Manager are all sound recommendations, but if the drivers for the Fuze didn't load properly and are left on the machine then re-installing and re-setting the device will only leave you in the same place.

Good luck!
    11-17-2008 03:57 PM
    A hard reset should be able to get you to connect. It seems like there is a DLL file missing somewhere (god knows where that device has been after Dieter has used it ;))
    DLL's can die in a fire, I have had to reinstall computer OS's because of my mucking about in dll's. Having the same problem on a phone might **** me off, lol.
    11-17-2008 04:54 PM
    I think more and more manufacturer's are setting up Windows Mobile so that if a program is on the start menu, it isn't listed in programs. For example, Opera is listed on my start menu, but it is not listed when you select programs.

But if you go to Settings...Menus.... you can unselect the menu item and it will re-appear in the Programs listing.

The system is doing in the background (at least on my Sprint Touch Pro) the same thing everyone is recommending you do with a copy and paste of the link.

To trouble shoot your Mobile Device Manager issue, the first step is to make sure that Windows Vista sees your Fuze over USB. To start Device Manager click the Start button and then right click on Computer and select Manage. At that point computer management should have on option for Device Manager.

Microsoft has been doing so much to make enterprise IT managers happy lately they are making things harder on users. Mobile Device Manager is looking for a network connection to your PDA (yup it gets an IP address any everything). Look for a Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter under network adapters. If it isn't there look to see if there is a device under Portable Devices. If it isn't in either place, try showing hidden devices (by clicking on View... Show Hidden Devices).

All the other recommendations about hard reset, re-install Mobile Device Manager are all sound recommendations, but if the drivers for the Fuze didn't load properly and are left on the machine then re-installing and re-setting the device will only leave you in the same place.

Good luck!
    If all else fails, use Mail2Web. I've been doing that since I had an Apache in 2006!
    11-17-2008 05:38 PM
    I'm new to the whole smartphone business but maybe something like winning a brand spanking new one would help
    11-17-2008 08:42 PM
    Warning this is a PDF link but head over to page 105 out of 312 and try following these instructions. This is HTC's user manual for the touch Pro, I hope this helps you out. I've never used Vista and until January hits I'm stuck with WinMo 5.0 so I can't comment on whether or not this will actually work.

http://member.america.htc.com/downlo...English_UM.pdf
    11-17-2008 09:22 PM
    [From the Fuze video review's accompanying text]: No amount of wiping is going to get those smudges off. Every side of the device gets smudges and prints all over it. The Fuze would be every CSI employee's dream object to test for fingerprints!
    LOL... so which is the worse fingerprint magnet, the Fuze or the Treo Pro? (Dieter described the Pro in his review as being like a "black hole for fingerprints." Yes, both were designed/manufactured by HTC, so they're bound to be close in this respect. Does either one get the edge here?
    11-18-2008 08:59 AM
    They are equal. The Pro gets the edge because the smooth, flat back is easier to de-grease. Only takes on quick swipe where you've got angles with the triangular cut on the Fuze to deal with.

If they would only offer a matte finish to these phones!
    11-18-2008 09:12 AM
    WMDC really is not very good. Sometimes just changing USB ports does it for me, otherwise a cvomplete reboot of both laptop and device. It can get frustrating...
    11-18-2008 09:37 AM
    Yup, fingerprint magnet. I've had the Fuze for a week now and it gets sort of a dull look to it. I took one look at it when I bought and thought it might be like that, oh well - still the best device I've ever owned - after a few tweaks that is.
    11-18-2008 11:40 AM
    fingerprints... that is why I am happy RIM tried something different with their faux leather back.
    11-18-2008 11:47 AM
    My laptop runs Vista Premium. I still can't get the Microsoft Device Center to connect to the Fuze. I tried Bluetooth and that didn't work either.

I've got all my ant-virus and the firewall turned off.

So, I'm going to try to download the latest Active Sync software onto my Windows XP desktop PC and give that a shot. Very very annoying so far.
    Is your usb connected directly to the desktop, or via a usb block / extender? I know I often have issues trying to connect my PDA through the dell dock for my laptop, almost never happens when directly connected to the laptop's usb ports.

Don
    11-18-2008 11:50 AM
    Did you try my suggestion
    11-18-2008 01:02 PM
    Hey again! :) Thanks to everyone for giving me such great advice! I've been swamped with stuff and haven't had a chance to try and sync the Fuze again but I'm getting ready to try it again here in a minute. I'm going to do a hard reset, reboot my puter and make sure that I plug the USB straight into the computer. I had been using a hub. I really don't have a free spot on my computer so I'll have to unplug something.

About those fingerprints, to me, the Fuze is worse than the Treo Pro. I can easily wipe the prints and smudges off the Pro but the Fuze seems to want to hold on to the prints more strongly. The edges of the Treo pro are not as thick as the edges on the Fuze so the smudges show up worse on the Fuze edges.

dannzeman, I mostly text, talk, check my calendar, the weather, and play a game if there is one that I find interesting. I'm not at all comfortable with any tweaking, especially doing any sort of registry edits. I'm way too chicken for that stuff. I've never been all that comfortable with WM. I don't hate it but I do much prefer the Palm OS. My peabrain really needs simplicity.

Speaking of Weather, I love the 3D Weather app that is included on the Fuze, but I don't like that I can't get a city any closer to me than Charlotte, NC. Does anyone know if I'm missing something here and that there is a way to type in any city that you want? All I've seen is the alphabetical thingy on the right hand side of the screen. I haven't seen a way to bring up a box to actually type in a particular city. When I click on the letters, I see lots of cities listed, but just none that are close to where I live. Yeah, it's nice to see what the weather is like in Charlotte, but I live very close to the mountains and our weather is totally different here.

Gonna go attempt to sync again! :eek:
    11-18-2008 01:04 PM
    pdaluver,

forget activestync, if you need to sync to an exchange server, set up over the air sync in messaging, of if you use gmail, use goosync.

and don't install software from the PC. I always use cab files, put them on an SD card and install from the device.

for file exploring, use Total Commander, it has more features than the vanilla file exploder. it can do registry editing and ftp in addition to all file management on your device and SD card.
    11-18-2008 01:11 PM
    pdaluver,

it may be a intimidating task to get your city into the weather screen... But if you are up to it, this link may be the most helpful.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...eatherdatabase

I have not tested it yet because i am a vzw customer, waiting impatiently for my carrier to release their crippled version of the phone....
    11-18-2008 01:20 PM
    rawdeadfish is spot on. Download the Weather Database app and if you can get ur local forecast through accuweather you will have no problem getting it on the Fuze.
    11-18-2008 01:49 PM
    WhooHoo!!! It worked! I hard reset the Fuze and unchecked the advanced networking box on the Fuze and now WMDC is finally connected! Wow, thanks everyone for the help!!! What a freaking relief!

I'll be sure to check out the Weather Database app, rawdeadfish! Thanks!
    11-18-2008 02:03 PM
    wow the touchflo 3d looks very nice. I like the screen size. Almost makes me want to sell my Treo Pro and iPod Touch.

Where you loading the web pages I'm the video via 3G or wifi?
    Thx
    11-18-2008 02:06 PM
    Do we actually have to help out to enter contest?
    11-18-2008 02:11 PM
    anyone know why the vzw version of the phone has to look so much crappier than the sprint version?
    11-18-2008 03:33 PM
    To fix the syncing issue it is probably just a matter of checking or unchecking a single setting on your phone.

Go to:

Start Menu / Settings / Connections / USB to PC. Make sure "ActiveSync (Sync with Outlook)" is checked and then check or uncheck the following setting called "Enable advanced networking functionality"

that should do it for you.

EDIT: NM....it was already answered a few posts back! :D
    11-18-2008 04:08 PM
176 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD