Seperating Personal life and Business on Outlook

brum

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
This might be a more general WinMo question though, my Dad has just bought a TouchPro after managing his life from a Palm Lifedrive.

The main question is, at work he wants other people to have access to his business contacts and appointment times, he'd also want to be able to manage his personal appointments and contacts from his Touch Pro - though he doesn't want his work to have access to them.

Is it possible to run two modes or accounts and to share one and not the other or is this expecting to much from WinMo?

Thanks in advance for you comments.

TopDog

Apr 21, 2008
gauteweb.net
By marking appointments in Outlook "private" his co-workers will not see what the appointmens are, only that they are "private".

bhenness

Oct 15, 2008
Visit site
For contacts, you can set them to private in Outlook Exchange email. As you would like to do, I set all my contacts and appointments on my phone to private. Pretty simple.

brum

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
If my dad imports a few thousand contacts, will he be able to set large groups of numbers to private or will he have to go through individually setting them to private?

ejonny

May 16, 2008
Visit site
This might be a more general WinMo question though, my Dad has just bought a TouchPro after managing his life from a Palm Lifedrive.

The main question is, at work he wants other people to have access to his business contacts and appointment times, he'd also want to be able to manage his personal appointments and contacts from his Touch Pro - though he doesn't want his work to have access to them.

Is it possible to run two modes or accounts and to share one and not the other or is this expecting to much from WinMo?

Thanks in advance for you comments.

Everyone's recommendation about using the "private" feature of Outlook/Exchange is correct and will work. The other approach is to keep your business contacts in Outlook/Exchange and use Windows Live for contacts and email. There isn't a calendar sync function yet, but I'm sure it's coming. When you connect Windows Live to a windows mobile phone it will start syncing email and contacts. So if you have an email to compose you can choose the account from which the email should originate. If you set up a new contact on the phone it will ask do you want to set up as a Windows Live or Outlook contact. It's probably the best way to keep work and personal separate because not even a nosey email administrator will be able to see the Wndows Live Contacts and definatley not the Windows Live (Hotmail) messages.

nmoreman

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
Is there a way not to use Windows Live for email/contacts?
I had Diamond, trying Instinct - no calendar sync is driving me NUTS, so considering going back to Diamond - however, having all my MSN as contacts also drove me nuts - that is my "junk" mail account, so do not want everything in there.
Could live with everything from Outlook but not Windows.

ejonny

May 16, 2008
Visit site
Is there a way not to use Windows Live for email/contacts?
I had Diamond, trying Instinct - no calendar sync is driving me NUTS, so considering going back to Diamond - however, having all my MSN as contacts also drove me nuts - that is my "junk" mail account, so do not want everything in there.
Could live with everything from Outlook but not Windows.

The other approach is to use the private setting on contacts and calendar as mentioned in the thread. If your work uses exchange what do you use for a personal calendar?

GREGHARKINS

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Why not just set up 2 calendars within outlook itself....
Now comes teh syncing issue. I have my outlook set up with 2 calendars running within the same outlook but i can only sync the main one. havent found a way to sync them both and keep them seperated for my phoneyet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes