Battery experience

dvdmon

Jun 28, 2004
twelveblackcodemonkeys.com
I know the TP's rep is that the battery is pretty bad. On most days it seems fairly equivelent with my old Treo 800w, which was bad as well! However, yesterday I had a slightly different experience.

I left work around 3:30 as we had a office holiday party at a restaurant downtown. I was charging it at work for the most part, but then after that I didn't. I couldn't find my charger after the party (it was in my car and apparently I was too tired/sick to see it when I looked), so just let it sit on my shelf for the night. When I got up in the morning, I was getting the email notification sound and was surprised. Finally at around 9 I checked the battery and it was like 2/3 full! This after something like 17-18 hours! I had it hooked to my bluetooth headset for about two hours of this, made a 3-minute call, surfed the web for a couple of minutes and even demoed SprintTV for some people at the party (all of a minute's worth, but still).

Unfortunately I often use the phone to stream internet radio and send it to my BT headset for listening, and I'm pretty sure this depletes the battery VERY fast - to the point where if that's the only thing I do (no playing with the phone, turning the screen on, reading email, etc.), it might last 3 or 4 hours, although I haven't really tested it.

Seidio is supposed to be coming out with a new extended battery similar I guess to the one they have for the 800w that significantly expands the battery life. But even if it doubles it, which I think is unlikely, it's still not going to offer a whole day of very heavy usage, I don't think. I think the battery life needs to at least quadruple in order to approach a respectable level...

PGR

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm OK with the battery life of my [stock] Sprint TP. That's not to say that I wouldn't appreciate more, but I can live with how it is.

I recently did a test using my phone strictly for business for 2 days without charging. An educated guess says 8-10 calls ranging from 4 to 10 minutes each, 3-4 email downloads, and several appointment alarms per day was my routine and Bluetooth was on for the entire time. I also took and emailed 2 photos during the test period. After roughly 36 hours of that level of use with no charging, I still had about 1/4 of my battery capacity left if we assume the battery gauge is accurate.

If I throw a couple of Internet and a couple of brief GPS sessions into a daily routine, I'll still have more than 1/2 capacity left at the end of one day, and that is quite acceptable to me.

In the interest of fairness, I should add that I almost never use my phone as an entertainment device. There is no video or music library in my phone and I think games are a waste or time. I do have some photos loaded, but not much more than the digital equivalent of the photos someone would carry in their wallet.

Pete

Anonymouse

Jan 26, 2006
Visit site
I'm OK with the battery life of my [stock] Sprint TP. That's not to say that I wouldn't appreciate more, but I can live with how it is.

I recently did a test using my phone strictly for business for 2 days without charging. An educated guess says 8-10 calls ranging from 4 to 10 minutes each, 3-4 email downloads, and several appointment alarms per day was my routine and Bluetooth was on for the entire time. I also took and emailed 2 photos during the test period. After roughly 36 hours of that level of use with no charging, I still had about 1/4 of my battery capacity left if we assume the battery gauge is accurate.

If I throw a couple of Internet and a couple of brief GPS sessions into a daily routine, I'll still have more than 1/2 capacity left at the end of one day, and that is quite acceptable to me.

In the interest of fairness, I should add that I almost never use my phone as an entertainment device. There is no video or music library in my phone and I think games are a waste or time. I do have some photos loaded, but not much more than the digital equivalent of the photos someone would carry in their wallet.

Pete

That's somewhat encouraging. I basically just don't want to have to worry about my phone dying during the day with moderate use. I'm not someone who is checking their e-mail constant, surfing constantly, or watching movies/playing games constantly, so for normal day to day use that's what I'm looking for. Of course, I do want the capabilities to be able to do those things for say long car rides, or waiting for appointments and whatnot.

And as for playing games being a waste of time...well that's pretty much what they're designed for: to waste time. Not too different than flying model airplanes, no? ;-)

PGR

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs