comparison question

SomeAudioGuy

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
I had a 6700, skipped the 6800, and went to the Pro. I can't really compare the two, but I can tell you my experiences.

It feels SO much smaller in the hand (if a bit heavier). In portrait mode it's only a little bit taller (and almost the same thickness) as the free LG flip phone I got. People make fun of it being a "brick", but it utterly destroys phones like the Sidekick, and is pretty competitive with phone like the Envy 2 size-wise.

The screen is incredible. One of the best screens I've seen since the iPaq hx4700.
The keyboard, while physically smaller than my 6700, is awesome. The 5-row on the Pro is possibly the best keyboard I've ever used (including BB's and Treo's). That said, just like the 6800, one hand use is almost impossible.

Memory is incredible. I've yet to push this phone over 60% mem in use (even when using Skype, PockeTwit, and TomTom all at the same time).

I do miss having buttons, and the scroll wheel on the Mogul always seemed like a good idea.
Battery life has been MUCH better than the 6700, but I hear it's only "just" as good as the 6800 (though not bad considering the screen).
GPS gets a fix quickly, but I am suffering from the GPS lag bug (I always seem to show up on screen about two city blocks behind where I actually am).

Even with the Touch Flo interface, it's not a radical departure from the previous WinMo QWERTY sliders. If you liked the 6800, chances are you'll like this phone.

jfchica1987

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
ok thanks for answering my question. the only problem i had with the 6800 was that i always had to go to settings and continuously close the apps and it was slow so i switched to the curve but its so basic but i like that its quick. i was hoping the touch pro would be a little faster but i heard it is also slow as well so now i just dont know what i want to do

SomeAudioGuy

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
HTC has added a better task manager to end programs, so it's definitely better than the 6700/6800, but with so much RAM I don't spend much time closing apps.

Well.
I would take a look at what you need to do.
The Pro is one of the fastest WinMo phones I've ever used, though it does need a little clean up out of the box. WinMo is awesomely customizable, but out of the box it's not always very well optimized.
Even cleaning it up and customizing, it will probably never be quite as snappy as a Curve.
I stick with WinMo because it's almost infinitely tweakable, and the quality of apps is second to none. It really is a pocket pc.
I think the Blackberry is the best messaging device you can get (BB IM is flipping sweet), but the OS is kinda dull and there aren't many exciting third party apps and games.

So, yeah, what's more important to you?

Last edited:

PGR

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
I upgraded from a Sprint Mogul (PPC 6800) with WM 6.1 installed to the Touch Pro and I couldn't be happier. Of course there are ways I think the Touch Pro could be improved, but it does all the things the Mogul did and does 'em better.

Pete

jfchica1987

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
yea i dont talk a lot on my phones and i barely use bb messenger. i like that i get my emails right away but i know that you can do that with the touch pro too. blackberrys are so basic and theres not a lot you can do to customize it so i think i am going to try the touch pro out. is there an extended battery you can get for the touch pro?

SomeAudioGuy

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
Seidio just released a 2000mAh, but it adds a huge bulge for not a lot of extra juice.
I would recommend getting the 1500mAh battery and going two batteries for a little while. At least until a good 3000mAh comes out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon