Considering a Fuze

legendofdon

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a new phone and the Fuze has recently come to my attention. I'm currently using a BlackBerry Curve, and I've never used WM before so I figured I'd do some research and ask some questions about it.

First, how is it coming from the BB platform to WM? I'll be honest and say I haven't heard good things about WM, so can anyone who has gone from BB to WM give a little input?

Second, how does the device feel in hand? The demo model at the at&t store is tethered to the wall in the keyboard out position, so I can't really say that I was fully able to test one out. Does it fit nicely into a pocket?

Thanks for the input, feel free to add anything else that might be helpful!

Ben#WP

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
Fuze experience

Hey everyone,
Second, how does the device feel in hand? The demo model at the at&t store is tethered to the wall in the keyboard out position, so I can't really say that I was fully able to test one out. Does it fit nicely into a pocket?

I can not comment on the BB experience as never had one. But the experience is really nice. It's been 2 weeks - like the look and feel, pocketability. It's a little heavy as compared to my Nokia, but surprisingly smaller than that.

Slide KB is the best as I am not too much comfortable with the touch keyboard. Only thing is i feel the sliding action is taking toll on the springs and afraid that it will loose over the time. Good part is, it's under warranty for a year :).

Battery flushes out in a day or max 1.5..that's the known part.

I prefer carrying the phone in a case, though have not found the perfect case yet (fits loose in the old case). This forum has many threads that can help you with lotsa other info on fuze - including a customized case!!!

Just look around, hope this helps.
-Ben

PGR

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
Only thing is i feel the sliding action is taking toll on the springs and afraid that it will loose over the time.
I'm not entirely sure about this 'cause I haven't actually taken one of them apart, but I firmly believe that the "springs" you refer to are actually opposing magnets. Regardless, it's the same setup that the HTC Mogul uses and I carried one of them for about 1.5 years and the slide worked as good on the day I retired it as it did on the day I bought it.

Pete

nlk10010

Dec 27, 2008
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a new phone and the Fuze has recently come to my attention. I'm currently using a BlackBerry Curve, and I've never used WM before so I figured I'd do some research and ask some questions about it.

First, how is it coming from the BB platform to WM? I'll be honest and say I haven't heard good things about WM, so can anyone who has gone from BB to WM give a little input?

Well, 2 cents from someone who's relied on a BB for several years now (last an 8830 on VZW for 18 months now).

I tried a Fuze because I wanted something "different"; as well, I wanted to be able to use LogMeIn and Remote Desktop, listen to Sirius (which you might be able to do on the 8830, don't know) and I wanted a better browsing experience with videos as well.

I can say it takes time to figure things out. Exchange push e-mail (I'm trying out a free mail2web account because I don't want to mess with my regular business Exchange server with BB addon) seems to work as well on WM as it does on BB. I think the WM IMAP client is better (I have a separate school IMAP account). I use Yahoo! as a casual account, which WM doesn't seem to want to play with (and BB does fine) but a Windows Live (i.e. Hotmail) account seems to be as close to push as you can get.

It took me a loooong while to get used to the touchscreen as there is no trackball. But there IS a set of directional buttons that work fairly well. TouchFlo can be frustrating but I guess it takes time to get used to it. The browsing (Opera Mobile) and CV service is light years ahead of my 8830. The keyboard, which I thought would be leaps and bounds better than the 8830s is not really; keys are almost flush with the surface and close together so I can't type any quicker on it than on the BB.

I'm still deciding whether to return the Fuze (I called in for an RMA and have the return label on my desk). Aside from the expected trepidation at leaving the BB cocoon I'm still not sure push Hotmail is as good as BB/Yahoo and the phone IS kind of heavy and thick. But you can't have everything. If you want the browsing/video experience, the bigger screen, the slideout keyboard and freedom from BES then you have to sacrifice things (e.g. security, phone size).

Sorry for the length and the rambling tone but HTH.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett