New VZ Touch Pro features removed

hammerhead

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Hello all. I have gone back to Verizon due to the much better coverage in my area. This means I had to give up my Tilt and beloved HTC 730. For better or worse I have decided to go with the VZ HTC Touch Pro. While browsing the web and talking to folks in the VZ Wireless store I have been led to believe that certain features have been removed by Verizon on this phone. I know that this is common practice with VZ but not sure what is the truth and what is rumor. Since I trust the information I get here I thought I would post a list of things I have been told are disabled on the phone and hope that someone can give me some good feedback as to what the real situation is.

* Technical rep in the VZ store told me that GPS is disabled and VZ will be enabling it soon but it will not retrofit previously purchased handsets.
* Sales rep in the VZ store told me that wifi is disabled on this and all VZ phones.
* Read a post on another forum that data streaming is not possible on this phone. The data stream will pause every 30 seconds. Streaming of data (audio video etc) from the internet is not pemitted on this phone.
* Sales rep at the VZ wireless store told me that this handset cannot be used as a modem. Bluetooth DUN, Internet sharing and data connections through the USb port are disabled.
* Read on another forum that the FM radio is disabled on the handset.
* VZ Sales rep told me that installation of third party applications is blocked if not purchased from VZ.

These are a few of the things I have heard (at least a few of them) and I was hoping someone here could shed some light on how much truth there is to any or all of them.
thanks

Frank

EWT

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
Wi-fi, streaming and third party apps work out of the box. Your sales rep seems to be about as well informed as the one at my VZW local store that told me the Touch Pro was GSM only even though I pointed out the Sprint store next door had them and it was available from VZW online. I brought mine in two days later after ordering it online. He didn't think it was as funny as his co-workers did.

GPS can be enabled via a hack available on www.ppcgeeks.com in the CDMA Touch Pro forum, and tethering is possible via wifirouter and the internet sharing application. You should be able to find them with searchs on ppcgeeks as well. The FM radio is disabled, but you can stream many stations with Kinoma if you really want to listen to the radio.

Darth Pooh#WP

Aug 10, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, as far as listening to in store reps about anything... unless that are carrying the device themself... I'd steer clear of their advice. And if they did carry it... I'd probably still steer clear. ;)

hammerhead

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Thankks, I think most of the issues are rectifiable, some more easily then others. I don't see any issues with streaming, which seems to work about as well as on any other handset. ICS was really easy to install. I haven't enabled the bluetooth DUN or unlocked GPS yet but those are projects for another day.
thanks again
Frank
Wi-fi, streaming and third party apps work out of the box. Your sales rep seems to be about as well informed as the one at my VZW local store that told me the Touch Pro was GSM only even though I pointed out the Sprint store next door had them and it was available from VZW online. I brought mine in two days later after ordering it online. He didn't think it was as funny as his co-workers did.

GPS can be enabled via a hack available on www.ppcgeeks.com in the CDMA Touch Pro forum, and tethering is possible via wifirouter and the internet sharing application. You should be able to find them with searchs on ppcgeeks as well. The FM radio is disabled, but you can stream many stations with Kinoma if you really want to listen to the radio.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon