10-23-2007 10:09 AM
92 1234
tools
    I saw the other day how sprint made the announcement and I went on the HTC website and could not wait for this phone to come out as it has EVERYTHING palm lacks, gps, wifi, true touchscreen, wm6 etc and I just now really after reading this forum that the text messaging would SUCK...I send about 3,000 text messages a month and I would go insane. I thought they would learn n the keyboard would be somewhat like the iphone where you can get good at it but if it is just the standard wm keyboard that suX....WHY OH WHY do most ALL these people come out with a great phone and then screw up a total major feature to keep it less then close to perfect? anyone else agree? cause i really love the form factor n features of this phone:mad:
    08-18-2007 11:19 AM
    I saw the other day how sprint made the announcement and I went on the HTC website and could not wait for this phone to come out as it has EVERYTHING palm lacks, gps, wifi, true touchscreen, wm6 etc and I just now really after reading this forum that the text messaging would SUCK...I send about 3,000 text messages a month and I would go insane. I thought they would learn n the keyboard would be somewhat like the iphone where you can get good at it but if it is just the standard wm keyboard that suX....WHY OH WHY do most ALL these people come out with a great phone and then screw up a total major feature to keep it less then close to perfect? anyone else agree? cause i really love the form factor n features of this phone:mad:
    This is just one of HTC's phones. They make different varieties to satisfy different consumers. The Touch is very similar in hardware specs to the 6800 except it has twice the RAM and no keyboard.
    08-18-2007 11:49 AM
    But wouldn't the Touch be very usable with the PCM virtual keyboard (ala iPhone?)

It would be interesting how that works.
    08-18-2007 12:33 PM
    good luck using your fingers
    08-18-2007 02:24 PM
    Why would you say "good luck using your fingers"?
    08-18-2007 05:11 PM
    Maybe he thought you usually type with some other body part :o

Seriously though, I assume he was alluding to the smaller 2.8" diagonal screen compared to the larger iPhone screen. It's possible to do the touch typing, but its not as easy as it would with an iPhone. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about it since I have my 6800 :)
    08-18-2007 06:54 PM
    i think that has been answered. give it a try nonetheless.
    08-18-2007 09:59 PM
    i think that has been answered. give it a try nonetheless.
    Hopefully, given the abundant presence of devices with keyboards, the new Touch will attract only people who do minimal typing.

Surur
    08-19-2007 03:13 AM
    well, here's what CNET has to say about it.....they liked the touchscreen, and WM6, wi-fi and bluetooth (what, no 3G??? :) ).

The bad: The Touch's tiny onscreen keyboard makes it a pain to enter any text, and the TouchFLO feature doesn't work in landscape mode. The SIM card and microSD slots are hard to access. Also, speakerphone quality was poor, and the device can be sluggish at times.

The bottom line: The HTC Touch boasts an innovative touch screen and sleek interface, but the lack of a sizable keyboard really limits the usability of this device. And despite the beautiful hardware, the Windows Mobile smart phone lags in performance and needs a bit more tweaking before we're ready to snatch one up.

sounds like a lot of money for a smartphone that you can't type on very easily. it is cute though, i love its small size.
    08-19-2007 09:02 AM
    well, here's what CNET has to say about it.....they liked the touchscreen, and WM6, wi-fi and bluetooth (what, no 3G??? :) ).

The bad: The Touch's tiny onscreen keyboard makes it a pain to enter any text, and the TouchFLO feature doesn't work in landscape mode. The SIM card and microSD slots are hard to access. Also, speakerphone quality was poor, and the device can be sluggish at times.

The bottom line: The HTC Touch boasts an innovative touch screen and sleek interface, but the lack of a sizable keyboard really limits the usability of this device. And despite the beautiful hardware, the Windows Mobile smart phone lags in performance and needs a bit more tweaking before we're ready to snatch one up.

sounds like a lot of money for a smartphone that you can't type on very easily. it is cute though, i love its small size.
    The Sprint Touch will have a faster processor, 3G, and it seems extra features added to the interface. Even the text entry will be improved. I'm sure it will find a market, but I dont think WM6 will even be easy enough truly for the mass market.

Surur
    08-19-2007 09:23 AM
    i think you raise a valid point when stating that wm6 will not be easy enough for the mass market. i personally think that is why the iPhone and even Palm OS Treo's have proven to be popular in the marketplace. many here tend to forget that there is a distinctive difference between the TreoCentral user's wants and consumer america's wants. the processor can be the fastest in the industry but i still don't think that changes much. poor/inefficient text entry on the HTC will probably limit its success.
    08-19-2007 09:41 AM
    I might give it a whirl with the PCM keyboard. The form factor is nice.
    08-19-2007 10:59 AM

Here's a video of PCM's keyboard. Not too bad for a 2.8 inch screen.

Surur
    08-20-2007 08:27 AM
    curious to know what you now think of the iPhone's keyboard, given the similarities of course...
    08-20-2007 09:38 AM

Here's a video of PCM's keyboard. Not too bad for a 2.8 inch screen.

Surur

This is exactly what WM needs. Of course being a blatant rip off of the iPhone keyboard will prevent it from ever shipping pre installed on a WM device. Therefore, most users probable will never use it (or even know about it).

MS should license it.
    08-20-2007 09:48 AM
    i think you raise a valid point when stating that wm6 will not be easy enough for the mass market. i personally think that is why the iPhone and even Palm OS Treo's have proven to be popular in the marketplace. many here tend to forget that there is a distinctive difference between the TreoCentral user's wants and consumer america's wants. the processor can be the fastest in the industry but i still don't think that changes much. poor/inefficient text entry on the HTC will probably limit its success.
    I agree. Put a blackberry into anybodies hand and they will figure out how to get around and start sending emails quickly.

When I give a WM device to a new user, I often need to give them a training course.
    08-20-2007 09:49 AM
    imagine if they could get rid of the bulkiness of sliders.....many WM devices would be almost perfect in my eyes (except for all of the clutter of course).
    08-20-2007 09:51 AM
    curious to know what you now think of the iPhone's keyboard, given the similarities of course...
    As you know, my main keyboarded device is the HTC Universal.

Against that nothing really holds a candle. Its the difference between getting by and really working.

I do however accept the experience is probably better on a larger screen - I should try it out on my Universal.

Also, I miss the navigation features of hard keys, e.g. pressing OK, pulling up the start menu, keyboard shortcuts etc. I may see if I can add that to the PCM keyboard, as you can customize the keys. Its also annoying that the punctuation and number keys are not immediately available.

Surur
    08-20-2007 09:51 AM

Also, I miss the navigation features of hard keys, e.g. pressing OK, pulling up the start menu, keyboard shortcuts etc. I may see if I can add that to the PCM keyboard, as you can customize the keys.

Surur
    I love the fact that there is only one button on the iPhone. This way, almost the entire face of the device could be devoted to the awesome hi-res screen. Here is my perfect device. A combination of the following.....

1. iPhone hardware, keyboard, itunes integration, Web browser
    2. Blackberry email and stability
    3. 3rd party support of WM
    08-20-2007 09:55 AM
    As you know, my main keyboarded device is the HTC Universal.

Against that nothing really holds a candle. Its the difference between getting by and really working.

I do however accept the experience is probably better on a larger screen - I should try it out on my Universal.

Also, I miss the navigation features of hard keys, e.g. pressing OK, pulling up the start menu, keyboard shortcuts etc. I may see if I can add that to the PCM keyboard, as you can customize the keys. Its also annoying that the punctuation and number keys are not immediately available.

Surur
    i'm sure that it's a powerful device but is it pocketable?
    08-20-2007 11:06 AM
    It fits in my shirt pocket, so by that definition it is pocketable.

Surur
    08-20-2007 11:13 AM
    It fits in my shirt pocket, so by that definition it is pocketable.

Surur
    Does that mean it won't fit in trouser or jean pockets? How heavy is it?
    08-20-2007 11:35 AM
    Does that mean it won't fit in trouser or jean pockets? How heavy is it?
    It fits in all pockets except your change pocket, but you are not going to be able to fit anything else in there, and its 285 grams probably explains the small tears around the pocket on my shirts :)

Surur
    08-20-2007 11:49 AM
    I might give it a whirl with the PCM keyboard. The form factor is nice.
    I'm tempted to if only because PCM keyboard is getting better and better:

What's new in 0.5?
    - Build-in copy/cut/paste (press enter key for 250ms)
    - Automatic back space repeat
    - Double tap on shift key to lock
    - Customizable symbol pad (available on any key trough settings)
    - Customizable image on every key (through settings)
    - More key available for layout: tab, esc, home, end, etc...
    - Feedback window now is always centered
    - Bug fixes (row number, etc...) and optimization
    My only qualms:

- I highly doubt it can replace my Treo, but I'm willing to give it a try

- Price. --> $499 with $150 = $349.99 (rumored, but reliable source)

$349.99 seems a bit high. If it were $199 I could see trying it with a SERO plan but it seems too limiting at this point. I'd say it's still cheaper than an iPhone but I honestly don't see these two as competitors.
    08-21-2007 03:34 PM
    and i'll say the same; i will give it a try like i have many other business minded devices. as long as it's small and is able to offer me easy text entry (this is where i question its ability) then i'm all for giving it a try against my trusty Blackberry Pearl. if i have to resort to stylus usage on screen then it's basically over for me.

it does seem like a lot of money given it's small screen size and limited text entry system.

edit: if the memory is anything like the Mogul then i take back most all of what i just said
    Last edited by oalvarez; 08-21-2007 at 05:55 PM.
    08-21-2007 05:40 PM
92 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD