Upgraded HTC Touch coming to Sprint

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
i think you raise a valid point when stating that wm6 will not be easy enough for the mass market. i personally think that is why the iPhone and even Palm OS Treo's have proven to be popular in the marketplace. many here tend to forget that there is a distinctive difference between the TreoCentral user's wants and consumer america's wants. the processor can be the fastest in the industry but i still don't think that changes much. poor/inefficient text entry on the HTC will probably limit its success.

I agree. Put a blackberry into anybodies hand and they will figure out how to get around and start sending emails quickly.

When I give a WM device to a new user, I often need to give them a training course.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
imagine if they could get rid of the bulkiness of sliders.....many WM devices would be almost perfect in my eyes (except for all of the clutter of course).

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
curious to know what you now think of the iPhone's keyboard, given the similarities of course...

As you know, my main keyboarded device is the HTC Universal.

htc-universal10.jpg

Against that nothing really holds a candle. Its the difference between getting by and really working.

I do however accept the experience is probably better on a larger screen - I should try it out on my Universal.

Also, I miss the navigation features of hard keys, e.g. pressing OK, pulling up the start menu, keyboard shortcuts etc. I may see if I can add that to the PCM keyboard, as you can customize the keys. Its also annoying that the punctuation and number keys are not immediately available.

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Also, I miss the navigation features of hard keys, e.g. pressing OK, pulling up the start menu, keyboard shortcuts etc. I may see if I can add that to the PCM keyboard, as you can customize the keys.

Surur

I love the fact that there is only one button on the iPhone. This way, almost the entire face of the device could be devoted to the awesome hi-res screen. Here is my perfect device. A combination of the following.....

1. iPhone hardware, keyboard, itunes integration, Web browser
2. Blackberry email and stability
3. 3rd party support of WM

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
As you know, my main keyboarded device is the HTC Universal.

htc-universal10.jpg

Against that nothing really holds a candle. Its the difference between getting by and really working.

I do however accept the experience is probably better on a larger screen - I should try it out on my Universal.

Also, I miss the navigation features of hard keys, e.g. pressing OK, pulling up the start menu, keyboard shortcuts etc. I may see if I can add that to the PCM keyboard, as you can customize the keys. Its also annoying that the punctuation and number keys are not immediately available.

Surur

i'm sure that it's a powerful device but is it pocketable?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Does that mean it won't fit in trouser or jean pockets? How heavy is it?

It fits in all pockets except your change pocket, but you are not going to be able to fit anything else in there, and its 285 grams probably explains the small tears around the pocket on my shirts :)

Surur

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I might give it a whirl with the PCM keyboard. The form factor is nice.
I'm tempted to if only because PCM keyboard is getting better and better:

What's new in 0.5?
- Build-in copy/cut/paste (press enter key for 250ms)
- Automatic back space repeat
- Double tap on shift key to lock
- Customizable symbol pad (available on any key trough settings)
- Customizable image on every key (through settings)
- More key available for layout: tab, esc, home, end, etc...
- Feedback window now is always centered
- Bug fixes (row number, etc...) and optimization

My only qualms:

- I highly doubt it can replace my Treo, but I'm willing to give it a try

- Price. --> $499 with $150 = $349.99 (rumored, but reliable source)

$349.99 seems a bit high. If it were $199 I could see trying it with a SERO plan but it seems too limiting at this point. I'd say it's still cheaper than an iPhone but I honestly don't see these two as competitors.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
and i'll say the same; i will give it a try like i have many other business minded devices. as long as it's small and is able to offer me easy text entry (this is where i question its ability) then i'm all for giving it a try against my trusty Blackberry Pearl. if i have to resort to stylus usage on screen then it's basically over for me.

it does seem like a lot of money given it's small screen size and limited text entry system.

edit: if the memory is anything like the Mogul then i take back most all of what i just said

Last edited:

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
and i'll say the same; i will give it a try like i have many other business minded devices.
Why bother? This seems about as far as you can get from a real business device. It seems more like a mainstream device that can just do a lot. I couldn't imagine a BB user considering this as competition/replacement.

As far as RAM, the latest specs put the RAM at a measly 64mb. The big question is if it is allocated differently than the Mogul (I'm still not sure why the Mogul has so little "real life" RAM after the OS loads; it's not just WM6).

Zagleft1

Jul 22, 2003
Visit site
Since my ancient a** predates hard keyboards, I could live fine without one and do just fine with Calligrapher and Fitaly. I'd love to lose the added bulk of the keyboard, so I'm really interested in the Sprint Touch, but I'm a little worried about the screen size. How much difference in size is there between the Touch and the Mogul?

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
What would it take for HTC to make a treo-like device? Is that too much to ask??? (Professional, not standard edition)

Picture a Treo 750 with Kaiser specs....I'd throw my iPhone into the East River in 0 seconds flat....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss