Upgraded HTC Touch coming to Sprint

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
Coming Sooner Rather Than Later??

I found this:

"In another Sprint announcement this week, the company and High Tech Computer (HTC) of Taiwan said they will market HTC's Vogue mobile phone in the U.S. as early as late September. The HTC handset uses touch screen technology that is similar to the screen technology used in Apple's iPhone."

Embedded in THIS article.

It is not on Engadget Mobile...yet...

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Here's a picture.

sprinttouch.png

The third device is the Sprint HTC Touch with it having TouchFLO, both Sprint TV/Sprint Music Store access, Windows Mobile 6, 2.0 megapixel camera, and a future upgrade to EVDO Rev. A.

http://www.phonenews.com/content/view/2352/1/

If its not just a rendering it looks even more attractive than the original Touch.

Surur

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the latest press releases don't seem to mention WiFi. Could they have pulled this feature? I hope not.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the latest press releases don't seem to mention WiFi. Could they have pulled this feature? I hope not.

I dont believe I ever saw any mention of WIFI, so I dont believe it has any. Strangely I have not seen any mention of GPS, and we know the device does have this. BTW, in the leaked pictures it looks just like my Touch I, but maybe a bit bigger.

Surur

H_D

Mar 17, 2006
Visit site
Whats the latest guys's? Any definitive release date as yet? I cant wait to switch to the Touch (Vogue).

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Any update on this

Sprint Touch Hands-on Impressions

Ok, I lied earlier, something sweet DID happen at Digital Life. I got a sneak preview / hands-on with the upcoming Sprint Touch. It looks pretty much like the photo above, which is to say it has the Sprint logo on the lower front. Sadly, the hands-on was so brief and hurried that I wasn't able to snap any pictures.

Details? You want details? Wilco:

The new keyboard looks very much like the "Happy type" keyboard. It's decent, but I'd likely keep recommending SPB Fullscreen keyboard.
The TouchFlo "cube" is still there, linking to some Sprint-specific stuff but still very useful. Still only 3 sides.
WiFi is dropped in favor of EVDO. I confirmed that will be updated to EVDO Rev A eventually.
It's a hair thicker than the original Touch, but still very svelte.
That fourth icon on the right of the HTC Custom Home screen is a super-convenient profile switcher.
Sprint Touch == iPhone killer? Well it lets you buy directly from the Sprint Music Store, has 3G, is shorter, does full music, video, YouTube, Full Office Mobile, etc etc etc. I know which one I'd rather use.
http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/rumors/sprint_touch_handson_impressio.html

Surur

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
and the release date is still rumored to be around the first of November.

Dieter - I did not say "Nov 1", I said the "first of November". ;)

Actually - all of our source(s) at sprintusers say November 4. Which is a Sunday which is typically when Sprint releases a hot new device. Why, I dunno. Ask Forsee.....

Last edited:

mamiamjo

Oct 10, 2007
Visit site
New Touch Flow?

It seems that the Sprint version incorporates some of the changes that were put into the Touch Dual (except for the sliding keyboard) like faster processor, no WiFi. Does anyone know if the Sprint Touch will also have the upgrades to the Touch Flow photo browser with the slide show and zoom features?

ScandaLeX

Jan 29, 2004
Visit site
and the release date is still rumored to be around the first of November.

Dieter - I did not say "Nov 1", I said the "first of November". ;)

Actually - all of our source(s) at sprintusers say November 4. Which is a Sunday which is typically when Sprint releases a hot new device. Why, I dunno. Ask Forsee.....

Actually, you cant ask him squat now. He's been ousted and the CFO (whose name escapes me) is now in charge.

Apparently Forsee consistently lost the company money; so they said it was time for him to goooo!

Dim-Ize

Jul 7, 2005
Visit site
It seems that the Sprint version incorporates some of the changes that were put into the Touch Dual (except for the sliding keyboard) like faster processor, no WiFi. Does anyone know if the Sprint Touch will also have the upgrades to the Touch Flow photo browser with the slide show and zoom features?

Bumping for an answer to this question.

So, the Touch Dual has a smaller screen, slightly thicker body, but has a slideout keyboard. The Dual also has some improvements in the UI for one handed operation and user experience.

Sprint is getting the Touch. Not the Dual. But, after reading today about CooTek's TouchPal - the typing thing could become far less of an issue for me.

I type 7-10 email's and 5-10 text messages per day on my device. But, I love a keyboard for looking up contacts too, which I do far more often. A keyboard and one handed are critical requirements for me.

I'm hoping we see the Sprint Touch have the new specs of the Dual (minus keyboard) and the UI improvements. I also hope that I can test the TouchPal somehow.

This phone has really got my attention. I can't believe it - but, for the first time in several years - I am really, really excited about a handheld device. The iPhone is too limited. My 755 is rock solid, does everything I need (EVDO, ActiveSync, TomTom, DUN, etc.) - but, I would like a bigger screen and a smaller form factor.

Will the Touch do DUN like the Treo with BTooth or USB?

Edit below
Okay, I watched the videos of TouchPal. WOW. IMHO this blows the iPhone text entry away. This is very intuitive and I can see myself really getting up to speed quickly on this. I already downloaded the software since it is free until December 8th (going off memory). I am definately going to try the Touch when it comes to Sprint. Having the TouchPal as a default keyboard for every app would be great!

Still not sure if GPS is TeleNav, disabled, or not there at all. But, with all the software out there, a removable battery, swappable memory, and now a keyboard which seems to be very elegant and FAST - this could be a real winner for me.

http://discussion.wmexperts.com/showthread.php?t=153681

Last edited:

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com

I sort of doubt it, actually. I can't say for sure, but I'm willing to bet if it was there the Sprint rep would have been jumping up and down to show it to me.

Dim-Ize

Jul 7, 2005
Visit site
I sort of doubt it, actually. I can't say for sure, but I'm willing to bet if it was there the Sprint rep would have been jumping up and down to show it to me.

You are implying that you doubt the new TouchFlo features (enlarged Start Menu, Picture Rotate, Zoom, Slideshow, etc.) demonstrated on the videos for Touch Dual - will be left out of the Sprint Touch?

Why would they do that? Isn't it just a software mod?

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com
You are implying that you doubt the new TouchFlo features (enlarged Start Menu, Picture Rotate, Zoom, Slideshow, etc.) demonstrated on the videos for Touch Dual - will be left out of the Sprint Touch?

Why would they do that? Isn't it just a software mod?

I think it's because those were developed after they finalized the ROM for the Sprint Touch. On the other hand, it's highly likely that enterprising hackers will be able to pull those features off the Touch Dual and make them available for the Sprint Touch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte